[net.movies] Terminator question

avr@CS-Mordred (Andrew V Royappa) (07/12/85)

	I have a question about the movie "Terminator" which
I just saw on videotape.

	The human who came thru the future (forget his name) to
save Sarah Connor from the Terminator said he couldn't bring
any appropriate weapons to kill the Terminator with because
the time travel method would only allow organic (living?)
matter to travel through time.

	If that's so, how come the Terminator who's a
metal robot with some flesh over him (we later see the
entire metal skeleton) came through time ?

	Is this a flaw, or are we suppose to overlook this,
or what ?

	I liked the film, by the way, this isn't a flame
about discrepancies - I'm just curious.

				Andrew Royappa
		{ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax, pur-ee}!purdue!avr
				avr@purdue.EDU

edw@ihopa.UUCP (Edwin Windes) (07/12/85)

> the time travel method would only allow organic (living?)
> matter to travel through time.
>
> 	If that's so, how come the Terminator who's a
> metal robot with some flesh over him (we later see the
> entire metal skeleton) came through time ?

	I believe they made an excuse for it right in the movie. Sarah
asks essentially the same question, and our hero explains that it's o.k.
because Arnold is enclosed in living tissue. (a tissue box?!)

	Don't blame me, I just watch 'em

--
				Edwin D. Windes
				..!ihnp4!ihopa!edw

	"Are we having fun yet?
			... wake me when it starts."

bright@dataio.UUCP (Walter Bright) (07/13/85)

In article <270@CS-Mordred> avr@CS-Mordred (Andrew V Royappa) writes:
>	The human who came thru the future (forget his name) to
>save Sarah Connor from the Terminator said he couldn't bring
>any appropriate weapons to kill the Terminator with because
>the time travel method would only allow organic (living?)
>matter to travel through time.
>
>	If that's so, how come the Terminator who's a
>metal robot with some flesh over him (we later see the
>entire metal skeleton) came through time ?

I seem to remember that someplace in the movie they explained that
the robot could do this because he was totally enclosed by living
flesh.

jsc@sun.uucp (James Carrington) (07/15/85)

In article <270@CS-Mordred> avr@CS-Mordred (Andrew V Royappa) writes:
>	The human who came thru the future (forget his name) to
>save Sarah Connor from the Terminator said he couldn't bring
>any appropriate weapons to kill the Terminator with because
>the time travel method would only allow organic (living?)
>matter to travel through time.
>	If that's so, how come the Terminator who's a
>metal robot with some flesh over him (we later see the
>entire metal skeleton) came through time ?
>	Is this a flaw, or are we suppose to overlook this,
>>or what ?

This question is actually asked by the police psycholgist, although you
have to really pay attention to catch it. Kyle Reed (sp?) give some mumbo-
jumbo answer like "It's surrounded by human flesh...I don't know tech stuff".
In other words, they couldn't figure out a real answer.

--
James Carrington				SUN Microsystems
Associate Engineer				2550 Garcia Ave. MS1-40

gordon@uw-june (Jamie Green) (07/16/85)

> > the time travel method would only allow organic (living?)
> > matter to travel through time.
> >
> >       If that's so, how come the Terminator who's a
> > metal robot with some flesh over him (we later see the
> > entire metal skeleton) came through time ?
>
>         I believe they made an excuse for it right in the movie. Sarah
> asks essentially the same question, and our hero explains that it's o.k.
> because Arnold is enclosed in living tissue. (a tissue box?!)

Ah, but then why couldn't the human carry anything with him?  He could have
just packed anything he wanted in a container made of similar organic
tissue (an alligator bag? :-) )...

		Yours for picking apart more movies,

   \      oo                                             uucp:
    \____|\mm         Jamie Green       {ihnp4,decvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!gordon
    //_//\ \_\
   /   /  \/_/      The Great Green                      arpa:
  /___/_____\         Arkleseizure                gordon@uw-june.arpa
  -----------

mah@asgb.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) (07/17/85)

> 	The human who came thru the future (forget his name) to
> save Sarah Connor from the Terminator said he couldn't bring
> any appropriate weapons to kill the Terminator with because
> the time travel method would only allow organic (living?)
> matter to travel through time.
> 	If that's so, how come the Terminator who's a
> metal robot with some flesh over him (we later see the
> entire metal skeleton) came through time ?

I beleive they explained that (or maybe I imagined it) by saying that his
(its) flesh covering allowed it to make the trip.

I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist
to the story (I know, the twist is back in the category of causality in
time travel stories, but I think it was left subtle enough to be merely
interesting, and not trite).  Anybody else think this is or isn't possible?

--
The opinions expessed above are -- or maybe they aren't...
	Mark Hamilton - Burroughs Advanced Systems Group

kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (07/18/85)

> I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
> the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
> Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
> saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist

     If you go back and watch the movie again, you should realize that Kyle
is the father of John Conner. When Kyle talks about John's birth, he says
that his father was unknown, but later when Sarah stops at the gas station
to get her picture taken (the same one that Kyle has) she is pregnant with
John. A state she was not in when the movie started.

						Kenneth Crist
						Computer Vision Lab
						University of Maryland

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (07/18/85)

In article <736@asgb.UUCP> mah@asgb.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) writes:
>I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
>the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
>Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
>saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist
>to the story (I know, the twist is back in the category of causality in
>time travel stories, but I think it was left subtle enough to be merely
>interesting, and not trite).  Anybody else think this is or isn't possible?

I thought they made it fairly clear that her son specifically aranged that
his father was sent back.  The son gave him a picture (the one taken
by the kid at the gas station at the end) and told him stories about
her so he fell in love with her.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (07/18/85)

> > 	If that's so, how come the Terminator who's a
> > metal robot with some flesh over him (we later see the
> > entire metal skeleton) came through time ?

> I beleive they explained that (or maybe I imagined it) by saying that his
> (its) flesh covering allowed it to make the trip.

That's right.  Conan was an advanced syborg(sp?), blood, sweat, bad breath and
everything else.

> I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
> the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
> Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
> saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist
> to the story (I know, the twist is back in the category of causality in
> time travel stories, but I think it was left subtle enough to be merely
> interesting, and not trite).  Anybody else think this is or isn't possible?

Actually, Kyle Reese, was John Connor's (Sarah's son) father.  Remember when
Kyle and Sarah hid out in a motel for awhile?  They began to talk about their
personal lives and Sarah asked Kyle "did you ever, you know?"  He timidly
said "with a woman?  No."  Then they, well, you know...

> 	Mark Hamilton - Burroughs Advanced Systems Group
> 			Boulder, CO 80301
> 			ihnp4!sdcsvax!bmcg!asgb!mah

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

P.S.	Has anyone heard rumors about a Terminator II?  If you recall at the
	end, one of the skeletal arms was left intact.  Could it rebuild
	itself and search for Sarah one more time?  Might not be a bad sequel.

jordan@greipa.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) (07/19/85)

In article <736@asgb.UUCP> mah@asgb.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) writes:
>I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
>the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
>Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
>saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist
>to the story (I know, the twist is back in the category of causality in
>time travel stories, but I think it was left subtle enough to be merely
>interesting, and not trite).  Anybody else think this is or isn't possible?

No, that's not possible because her son was the one that led the
resistance movement. Kyle (the man from the future) was one of his
soldiers (presumably his right-hand man, to be entrusted with her
picture). He always loved her (Sarah) because she was sort of a hero
to all of the future fighters, having raised her son the way she
did. He also describes her son to her in the movie in the the third person.

(Besides, if you were the leader of the resistance movement, would
you be allowed to go galavanting off into the past?)

Nope, Kyle's her son's father.. Not her son.
--
			Jordan K. Hubbard
			@ Genstar Rental Electronics.

			"ack pfffft. gag. retch. barf.. ack"

				- Bill again.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/19/85)

In article <736@asgb.UUCP> mah@asgb.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) writes:
>I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
>the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
>Sarah's son?

They make it pretty clear that's he's NOT. Her son was JOHN CONNOR, the
"human who came back" was KYLE REESE. He volunteered to protect JOHN'S
MOTHER. The plot twist was that when he volunteered, he didn't know he
was JOHN'S FATHER. Grr. See the movie again.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (07/19/85)

>I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
>the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
>Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
>saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist
>to the story (I know, the twist is back in the category of causality in
>time travel stories, but I think it was left subtle enough to be merely
>interesting, and not trite).  Anybody else think this is or isn't possible?

     Kyle Reese, the human who came back through the future, WASN'T Sarah's
son!!! He was the father of Sarah's son who organized all of the people in
the future. They (whoever made the Terminator) thought that by sending the
Terminator back in time to kill Sarah, so she couldn't have her son, and thus
killing off the organizer.

goldsten@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/20/85)

I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist
to the story (I know, the twist is back in the category of causality in
time travel stories, but I think it was left subtle enough to be merely
interesting, and not trite).  Anybody else think this is or isn't possible?
*********
Not possible since we already know who Sarah's son is.

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (07/20/85)

(refering to the time-travel restrictions in "The Terminator")
> Ah, but then why couldn't the human carry anything with him?  He could have
> just packed anything he wanted in a container made of similar organic
> tissue (an alligator bag? :-) )...
>        Jamie Green       {ihnp4,decvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!gordon

An aligator bag is not living tissue, and *living* tissue is
specifically called for.  They didn't have time to (for example)
surgically implant weapons in the human time-traveler, since they had
to dump him into the past quickly (for some glossed over reason that was
mentioned in the police interview).  The logical thing to do would be
for him to swallow a weapon, and regurgitate it upon arrival.  Either
the rebels (or the writers) forgot that possibility, or it wouldn't work
for some "technical" reason, such as the fact that things in the
digestive tract are topologically outside the body, or maybe weapons
capable of taking out a Terminator are too big to swallow.

(refering to a possible time loop)
> I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
> the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
> Sarah's son?
>         Mark Hamilton  ihnp4!sdcsvax!bmcg!asgb!mah

It was specifically stated that he was *not* Sarah's son, but that
Sarah's son selected him for the assignment (and was the leader of the
rebel forces).

You folks *saw* this movie didn't you?   :-)
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw

metcalf@ucbmiro.ARPA (Chris Metcalf) (07/20/85)

In article <413@mit-vax.UUCP> csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) writes:
>In article <736@asgb.UUCP> mah@asgb.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) writes:
>>I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
>>the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
>>Sarah's son?
>
>They make it pretty clear that's he's NOT. Her son was JOHN CONNOR, the
>"human who came back" was KYLE REESE. He volunteered to protect JOHN'S
>MOTHER. The plot twist was that when he volunteered, he didn't know he
>was JOHN'S FATHER. Grr. See the movie again.

*** SPOILER ***

Well, when I saw the movie I also wondered whether Kyle was really John.
Something about the way he says to Sarah (under the bridge), "about my
height...".  But, when Kyle died, I decided that it was probably
coincidence... my feeling is that an Oedipal hero would not have died, but
rather ended up with Sarah.  Still, it's a good question... Can anyone else
think of anything which would make Kyle = John ?

--

Chris Metcalf (metcalf@ucbmiro.BERKELEY)	     ...!ucbvax!ucbmiro!metcalf

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (07/22/85)

In article <2168@sdcrdcf.UUCP> markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) writes:
>In article <736@asgb.UUCP> mah@asgb.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) writes:
>>I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
>>the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
>>Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
>>saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist
>>to the story (I know, the twist is back in the category of causality in
>>time travel stories, but I think it was left subtle enough to be merely
>>interesting, and not trite).  Anybody else think this is or isn't possible?
>
>I thought they made it fairly clear that her son specifically aranged that
>his father was sent back.  The son gave him a picture (the one taken
>by the kid at the gas station at the end) and told him stories about
>her so he fell in love with her.

I think most of you are missing the point of the guy's original posting.
He knows what the *plot* seemingly said, but wouldn't it be cool if the guy
were not only Sarah's son's father but *also* Sarah's son, by some past or
future time-travel a la Heinlein's "All You Zombies".  Note how the original
poster uses the term "subtle" several times, and again how the majority
of respondents ignore this and go for the obvious - like thinking Kelvin's
reviews are for real.

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (07/23/85)

>Well, when I saw the movie I also wondered  whether  Kyle  was  really
>John.  Something  about  the  way he says to Sarah (under the bridge),
>"about my height...".  But, when Kyle died,  I  decided  that  it  was
>probably  coincidence...  my feeling is that an Oedipal hero would not
>have died, but  rather  ended  up  with  Sarah.  Still,  it's  a  good
>question...  Can anyone else think of anything which would make Kyle =
>John ?

        I  think  it  is   rather   clear   from   Kyle's   flashbacks
        (flashforwards?) that he was a regular foot soldier in the war
        against the machines and not the leader of the revolt.

        I tend to wonder about what kind of man John  Connor  was.  It
        must  take  a certain kind of ruthlessness to send to your own
        father off on what you know is a  suicide  mission.  But  then
        any other sort of man probably wouldn't have won the war.

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) (07/23/85)

> Well, when I saw the movie I also wondered whether Kyle was really John.
> Something about the way he says to Sarah (under the bridge), "about my
> height...".  But, when Kyle died, I decided that it was probably
> coincidence... my feeling is that an Oedipal hero would not have died, but
> rather ended up with Sarah.  Still, it's a good question... Can anyone else
> think of anything which would make Kyle = John ?

	Here are some observations why Kyle <> John.  In one of
Reese's "flash-forwards", presumably his first encounter with a
Terminator, he has just returned from some type of mission.  No
one treats him preferentially; he just goes off and sits.  I would
think that the leader of all humanity would get some form of
salute -- remember, he was in a military unit under Perry.  Also,
would someone that important go out and risk his life just to
blow up a couple tanks?

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

lmv@houxa.UUCP (L.VANDERBILT) (07/24/85)

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) writes:
>I tend to wonder about what kind of man John  Connor  was.  It
>must  take  a certain kind of ruthlessness to send to your own
>father off on what you know is a  suicide  mission.  But  then
>any other sort of man probably wouldn't have won the war.

he's a man who would never have been born if he didn't send his father back...

mah@asgb.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) (07/25/85)

> > I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
> > the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
> > Sarah's son? ...
>
> Actually, Kyle Reese, was John Connor's (Sarah's son) father.  ...
>
> 						Joseph M. Dakes

I guess I need to clarify my theory.  I have received several replies saying
that Kyle explained the situation at various points in the film.  I realize
this, and remember his explainations, but consider this: If you were from
the future, and were your own father (thus you have to get to know your
mother or you don't exist) would you come out and tell her, "Hi, I'm your
son, let's do it"?  I got the feeling that his whole story was a ploy on
his part so that she could deal with the situation.  Comments on this?
--

training@rtech.UUCP (Training account) (07/26/85)

> I have another question about this film (The Terminator).  Does anybody else
> believe that the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too)
> was actually Sarah's son?

My roommate claims that the whole picture was a ripoff of a French film
from the 60's, called "La Jete" (spelling??); and that in "La Jete", the
son does fall in love with his mother.

I haven't seen the film, so I can't provide more details.  Sorry.

Robert Orenstein
Relational Technology

fisher@aero.ARPA (Ted Fisher ) (07/27/85)

Neglecting the obvious paradox about being your own son, I'd say it
is biologically (nearly) impossible. Johhny gets half his chromosomes
from Sarah, and half from Kyle, and the odds of that combination
resulting in Kyle's original set are quite astronomical, but...

By the way, in the similar occurrance in All You Zombies, mom, dad,
and daughter are ALL the same person. But that is another story...

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/27/85)

In article <740@asgb.UUCP> mah@asgb.UUCP (Mark Hamilton) writes:
>If you were from
>the future, and were your own father (thus you have to get to know your
>mother or you don't exist) would you come out and tell her, "Hi, I'm your
>son, let's do it"?

True enough, but Kyle didn't try very hard to seduce Sarah. In fact,
after he blurted "I love you.. ect." he got angry at himself. It was
Sarah who initiated the love scene from there. I think it would be going
a little too far for Kyle (aka, in your theory, John) to have known that
scene in the past well enough to re-enact it.
--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

Lord Fred:"Because I said I am."

Wang Zeep:"Seriously."

Lord Fred:"Look, it works for every other religion."

zeke@dartvax.UUCP (Edward M. Zebrowski) (08/02/85)

> I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
> the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
> Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
> saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist
> to the story (I know, the twist is back in the category of causality in
> time travel stories, but I think it was left subtle enough to be merely
> interesting, and not trite).  Anybody else think this is or isn't possible?

Yes, I think that this is quite possible, because the photograph that the
mexican guy took of her in the jeep (when she was pregnant) was the same one
that the "human who came through the future" always carried with him. Also,
in the taperecording that she was making, didn't she make some allusion to
what her son would be like when he grew up (i.e. the very description of the
"human who came thru the future"?)  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

                                              Ed Zebrowski

"Don't go to bed with your roof on fire--it won't be there when you wake up."

richr@iddic.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) (08/09/85)

In article <3420@dartvax.UUCP> zeke@dartvax.UUCP (Edward M. Zebrowski) writes:

>> I have another question about this film.  Does anybody else beleive that
>> the "human who came thru the future" (I forget his name too) was actually
>> Sarah's son?  There seemed to be several subtle references to it like his
>> saying he has always loved her.  This would add a really interesting twist

No this is not true.  In the movie the human who came thru the future is a
friend of Sarah's son.  They are fighting together to save the world against
the fighting robots (Arnold S.).  Sarah's son is the leader of the revolution
and therefore could not afford to leave his army to kill the Terminator.

>Yes, I think that this is quite possible, because the photograph that the
>mexican guy took of her in the jeep (when she was pregnant) was the same one
>that the "human who came through the future" always carried with him. Also,

Sarah's son gave the picture to the man because it was the only thing he had
that showed what his mother looked like.  If he did not have the picture he
would not have known who to save.  The man also tells Sarah that he knows
little about Sarah's sons father.  ( Who is the man that came from the future )

>in the taperecording that she was making, didn't she make some allusion to
>what her son would be like when he grew up (i.e. the very description of the
>"human who came thru the future"?)  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

She knows the description of her son because the man told her what her son
would become... the leader of the revolution.

would become... The leader of the revolution.  NOT THE MAN WHO CAME FROM THE
FUTURE!!!

>                                              Ed Zebrowski
>
>"Don't go to bed with your roof on fire--it won't be there when you wake up."

				Hope I could help!
					Rich Rodgers