[net.movies] MAD MAX dubbing

good@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (J. Lawrence) (07/21/85)

   I just rented the tape of "Mad Max" and was disgusted all
over again at the idiotic dubbing of American voices over the
original Australians. Please, does anyone know where I
can get hold of an undubbed version??  Are there any plans to
ever release the film in its proper form?  I was really
surprised that the problem wasn't corrected for videotape
release, since "The Road Warrior" and indeed Mad Max films in
general have attained such widespread American popularity.

   It's so distracting hearing that LA voice coming from Mel
Gibson's mouth!

                        Thanks very much,

                        Julia

p.s. and who was responsible in the first place?

nz@wucs.UUCP (Neal Ziring) (07/22/85)

     If you watch very closely, you will see that Max, Jessie, etc. are
not speaking Australian; they are speaking gibberish.  This makes it
easier to dub the movie into many different languages.  Since Mad Max
was designed from the beginning for international distribution (like
many of the kung fu movies) it is quite possible that there is
NO original soundtrack.

Two other points:
     In Mad Max I, the doctor in the hospital clearly says that
the girl (Jessie) can be "salvaged", but she is never seen again.
Is the scene with the crosses at the beginning of TRW sufficient
to establish that she is dead, or is it possible that Max will
meet her again?

     Several people have suggested that Jebidiah (sp?) in Thunderdome
is not the Gyro Captain.  Why, then, does Jebidiah Jr. look so much like
the women the Gyro Captain drove away with at the end of TRW?
--------

                                         Steven P Healey
                                         sph3898@wucec1
                               (reply directly to me, not the poster)
"My God, Mr. Chase, what is the matter?"
I replied, "We have been stove by a whale."

(posted for Steve by ...nz@wucs.UUCP)

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) (07/24/85)

>    I just rented the tape of "Mad Max" and was disgusted all
> over again at the idiotic dubbing of American voices over the
> original Australians. Please, does anyone know where I
> can get hold of an undubbed version??  Are there any plans to
> ever release the film in its proper form?  I was really
> surprised that the problem wasn't corrected for videotape
> release, since "The Road Warrior" and indeed Mad Max films in
> general have attained such widespread American popularity.
>
>    It's so distracting hearing that LA voice coming from Mel
> Gibson's mouth!
>                         Thanks very much,
>                         Julia
>
> p.s. and who was responsible in the first place?

	I posted a similar request in April and what follows are

From Mike Meyer (...allegra!ucbvax!ucbtopaz!mwm):

> If you look at Mad Max I and II carefully, you'll notice different
> people doing the distribution. I forgot who got the rights for American
> distribution of MM II, but American International got MM I. All (legal)
> copies of MM I in America have passed through their hands (claws?), so
> you'll have to bootleg a copy to get it in the original 'strian.
>
> 	<mike

From Michael Esco (...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!esco):

malcolm@utcsri.UUCP (Malcolm MacPhail) (07/26/85)

>    I just rented the tape of "Mad Max" and was disgusted all ....
>  Please, does anyone know where I can get hold of an undubbed version??

I haven't seen Mad Max since it was first released, but I do not
remember it being dubbed at all.  It could be that the Canadian
release was NOT dubbed, but I am not sure.   Does anybody out there know?
    A lot of the stuff we get up here is the same as what goes to
the US, but maybe the nice Australian's realize that Canada is a
different country (although similar).

--
				Malcolm MacPhail,
				Department of Computer Science,

UUCP:  {linus,ihnp4,allegra,floyd,utzoo,cornell,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!malcolm
CSNET: malcolm@Toronto
ARPA:  malcolm%Toronto@CSNet-Relay
--

tre@sdcarl.UUCP (Tom Erbe) (07/26/85)

Is there really an undubbed version??  Has anyone really seen one or are we
just assuming that the original was undubbed?  Actually, since Mad Max was such
a low budget film, it would be probable that there was no live sound, and all
versions (if there are more than one) may be dubbed.

--
	thomas r. erbe
	{ucbvax,ihnp4,akgua,hplabs,sdcsvax}!sdcarl!tre

esco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Esco) (07/31/85)

> Is there really an undubbed version??  Has anyone really seen one or are we
> just assuming that the original was undubbed?
> 	thomas r. erbe

I submitted this once before, but since the debate continues, I assume
nobody saw it.

I saw Mad Max in an 'artsy' theater a few years back. The sound track was
not Americanized, but was so poor it was almost inaudible. At points, I
would guess the signal-to-noise ratio was in the low single digits. If
that's the sound track the distributor got later on, I don't blame him
one bit for re-recording it.

BTW- I saw several movies in that theater, and the sound system was
acceptable.

						Michael Esco
						Boeing Aerospace

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (08/09/85)

> From:	ssc-vax!esco	(Michael Esco)

>> Is there really an undubbed version??  Has anyone really seen one or are we
>> just assuming that the original was undubbed?
>> 	thomas r. erbe
>
> I submitted this once before, but since the debate continues, I assume
> nobody saw it.
>
> I saw Mad Max in an 'artsy' theater a few years back. The sound track was
> not Americanized, but was so poor it was almost inaudible. At points, I
> would guess the signal-to-noise ratio was in the low single digits. If
> that's the sound track the distributor got later on, I don't blame him
> one bit for re-recording it.

There's a couple of points that need to be made regarding the over-dubbing
of the MAD MAX soundtrack that may well refute your statement:

(1) The over-dubbing occurs only with voices --- the music is not re-recorded.

(2) Even the voices aren't completely re-recorded. There are certain scenes
	in which, for instance, I can hear Mel Gibson's voice coming from
	Max, rather than a terribly-sounding American voice. And there are
	other characters with traces of Ozian accents and perfect lip-sync
	(the dubbed American voice for Max has terrible lip-sunc).

I find this amusing, since Gibson doesn't have that outrageous an accent,
and indeed is an American by birth.

The original US-distributor of MAD MAX was American International, which is
notorious for the lack of care about the movies it distributes. After THE
ROAD WARRIOR came out, its distributor, Orion, picked up the rights for MAD
MAX, and I hoped that they'd get a fresh original master, but no such luck.
They just bought up the prints from AI and released those. The pre-recorded
videotape, which has "Orion" on the outside, still has the AI logo at the
beginning.

Which brings me to a really obscure trivia question:

	What is Max's last name?

(It was mentioned twice in the first movie. If anyone would like to take a
crack at the answer, MAIL it to me at the address below. I will post the
answer, and the winner, if any, at the end of the month. Note: The name as
spoken is somewhat indistinct, so I will accept close approximations to
what *I* think is said.)

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA