[net.movies] European Vacation

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (08/04/85)

>     Warner Brothers seems to have little confidence in "European
>Vacation", as they sneaked it out into the theaters without sub-
>stantial advertising.  In the light of the success of "Vacation",
>which didn't have that many more good laughs, the studio's lack
>of confidence is surprising.  "National Lampoon's European Vaca-
>tion" will probably satisfy fans of the early film, but has few
>attractions for anyone who didn't like "Vacation".  Enough people
>liked the first film to assure "European Vacation" at least a modest
>success.
>--
>        			Peter Reiher
>				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
>        			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher

Well, I liked "vacation" but I didn't like the sequel much at all.
The original had a certain class to it.  Less crassness and an element
of black comedy.  The sequel is standard fare formula comedy.
A few good jokes, but not enough to be worth it.

I suspect the reviewer preferred Vacation, too.  Why else did he go to
European Vacation (unless he was dragged along.)
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) (08/08/85)

I too thought a lot of jokes in European Vacation were spoiled.  I, however,
attribute this due to the ads and previews for the movie.  How many other
people out there noticed that a lot of the jokes were spoiled due to the

I did like the movie, though.
--

					   Jonathan D. Trudel
					arpa:trudel@ru-blue.arpa

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (08/08/85)

Note the following two comments:

>     Warner Brothers seems to have little confidence in "European
>Vacation", as they sneaked it out into the theaters without sub-
>stantial advertising.
>        			Peter Reiher

>I too thought a lot of jokes in European Vacation were spoiled.  I, however,
>attribute this due to the ads and previews for the movie.  How many other
>people out there noticed that a lot of the jokes were spoiled due to the
>					   Jonathan D. Trudel

I have seen quite a bit of TV advertising in the St. Louis, MO area for
"European Vacation"; as we see from the above, two reviewers have seen
diametrically opposed advertising environments for the same movie in
their respective areas. I am guessing that the studio or the distributor
(if they are different) are aiming the movie at different audiences and
tailoring their advertising regionally. Can any of the film-business
experts out there comment on this tactic, and discuss what films are
pushed where?

Will

wayne@cylixd.UUCP (Wayne Steinmetz) (08/12/85)

In article <3173@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) writes:

>I too thought a lot of jokes in European Vacation were spoiled.  I, however,
>attribute this due to the ads and previews for the movie.  How many other
>people out there noticed that a lot of the jokes were spoiled due to the

I just saw this film this weekend.  I thought the whole movie was spoiled,
period.  No plot, cheap jokes (excuse me, senseless jokes), and bad dialog.
My wife and I left in the middle out of disgust!

(A critic I'm not, but this movie was BAD!)

...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!wayne

ayers@convexs.UUCP (08/12/85)

>     Warner Brothers seems to have little confidence in "European
>Vacation", as they sneaked it out into the theaters without sub-
>stantial advertising.

Maybe it's just here, but every frappin' movie I've been to see since
the beginning of summer has run "previews"  of "European Vacation."
If you're talking about TV, radio, and newspaper ads -- I don't know.
Maybe they felt they'd get a free ride off the obvious "sequel"-ness
of the movie...

				blues, II

		Looks to me like you've got a devine right
		   (and your left ain't too bad either)

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) (08/12/85)

In article <539@brl-tgr.ARPA>, wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:

> I have seen quite a bit of TV advertising in the St. Louis, MO area for
> "European Vacation"; as we see from the above, two reviewers have seen
> diametrically opposed advertising environments for the same movie in
> their respective areas. I am guessing that the studio or the distributor
> (if they are different) are aiming the movie at different audiences and
> tailoring their advertising regionally. Can any of the film-business
> experts out there comment on this tactic, and discuss what films are
> pushed where?
>
> Will

Well, I live in NJ, and I find that I discriminate heavily when it comes
to moviegoing.  Within 15 minutes of New Brunswick, I can think of at least
twenty-count 'em-twenty movie screens.  There are a lot of movies to choose
from, and I can bet that advertising for a movie will be quite extensive
due to this large amount.  One other thing of note is that in the theatres,
they also show a lot of minute-long+ previews.  Is this true elsewhere too?