[net.movies] Back to the Future

upstill@ucbvax.ARPA (Steve Upstill) (07/01/85)

   Let me be the first to recommend Back to the Future.  There's life yet
in the Steven Spielberg's little world, which had started to get a  little
shopworn with Goonies.  All the familiar Spielberg elements are there:
popular non-science, whacky nuclear family, small-town America, heartwarming
twists of plot, even [.......spoiler deleted ....] and [.........ditto.....].
Yet three things save this one, in high style: 1) Robert Zemeckis' direction.
I don't know how he does it, but somehow, without any particular style you
can point your finger at, he has developed the lightest touch in movies, and
I now believe that this man can put ANYTHING over on you, and make you love it.
2) The performance of the lead actor, whose name I don't even know.  He now
joins Tom (Risky Business) Cruise and ...(The Sure Thing) ... as the most
appealling young comic actors in America.  2a) The performance of Christopher
Lloyd as the Mad Scientist (benevelant).  3) The script, by director Zemeckis
and Bob Gale.  Believe me, if you know the premise of the movie, you can
predict just about everything that's going to happen after about 20 minutes.
Yet you enjoy seeing it happen anyway, because the dialogue is so good and
the sense of comic detail so keen.  Now I have to see Used Cars and I Wanna
Hold Your Hand.
   The only faults I would warn you about are mentioned above:  It's too
Spielberg-esque in the windup and somewhat pat neatness of it all.  But the
ride is a real joy.  ***-1/2 out of ****.  Take your mother to see it.  You
won't be sorry, and neither will she.

Steve Upstill

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (07/02/85)

                             BACK TO THE FUTURE
                      A film review by Mark R. Leeper

     The last film that came out with Stephen Spielberg's name on it was
GOONIES.  After seeing that I decided that these Spielberg-produced films
were on a downward spiral.  I told myself that I would avoid them in the
future.  Then a local theater had a sneak preview of BACK TO THE FUTURE and
hope sprang eternal.  For the first ten minutes of the film I was asking
myself why I didn't listen to my advice to myself and stay away.  After all,
why do I need a film about a cute kid on a skateboard and a horribly over-
acted mad scientist?  The remaining 106 minutes answered that question
rather nicely.

     In fact, BACK TO THE FUTURE has few or none of the script problems that
I saw in GOONIES.  Instead, we have a tightly written science fiction story
with likable characters, a fair amount of wit that really *is* funny, and a
great collection of time paradoxes presented in a witty fashion.  Nobody who
has read the basics of science fiction or seen much of science fiction
cinema will find much in the way of real ideas, but the old ideas are tied
together in a way as entertaining as they have ever been in the past.

     The story deals with Marty McFly, whose father is a life-long nerd and
whose life is in a shambles.  Marty has somehow acquired the friendship of a
really weird scientist (Christopher Lloyd), who one night reveals that he
has made a few special modifications to a DeLorean car.  When it is powered
with plutonium and is moving at precisely 88mph, it becomes a time machine.
It isn't too long before our hero finds himself trapped in 1955 and madly
trying to repair changes he has made in history.

     The script (by director Robert Zemeckis and producer Bob Gale), after a
shaky start, is remarkable for clever lines and for attention to technical
detail.  In spite of a few bizarre touches, this film works as a piece of
science fiction.

     The cast is made up almost exclusively of unknowns.  The minor
exceptions are Lloyd, whose face is familiar from ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S
NEST--he played a belligerent inmate--and from TO BE OR NOR TO BE.  Also
familiar-looking is James Tolkan as the vice-principal of the local high
school.

     This is a +2 film (on the -4 to +4 scale) and I consider it to be the
best thing with Spielberg's name on it since E. T.

					Mark R. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (07/06/85)

BACK TO THE FUTURE is one of those films, which, on reflection, makes me
wonder just why it left me with such a good feeling.  As you probably know,
it's the story of a young man (Michael J. Fox of the Family Ties television
show) who accidently travels thirty years into the past, with the aid of a
scientist friend's (Christopher Lloyd, who has been in about 8 films during
the last two years (Sorry, Mark)) time machine.  The plot centers around
Fox's attempt to return to the future (the time machine, which is built out
of a Delorean automobile, needs plutonium to run on, and a substitute power
source must be found), and also with the time paradoxes which follow in
Fox's wake, mainly the disruption of the incident which brings his mother
and father together.  For people who haven't considered the premise before,
I imagine this is quite entertaining in itself; for those of us who have
seen the "gotta fix up the time line irregularities" plot in science fiction
novels for the last millenia, it's old hat.  So I can't say I found the plot
too interesting (though the resolution of Lloyd's fate is shuffled around
well enough that it is not apparent (though the plot twist is foreseen)).

Well, how about the laughs?  Pretty sit-com stuff, in terms of getting Mom
and Pop back together again, and also with a lot of slapstick.  The acting
is also sitcom-like; nothing too interesting in that.  The special effects
are limited, but well-done (apparently ILM must have been pretty busy this
year -- they are getting to be the SPX 'R US of the American film industry).

So why did I enjoy this?  Well, basically the one time the actors seem to
come alive is when Fox and Lloyd are together.  Lloyd's Doc character is
eccentric, but not nutty enough to be a comedy character.  He obviously
likes Marty (Fox's character), and his willingness to risk his own life to
insure Marty returns to 1985 one of the most touching parts of the film.  In
essence, when Fox & Lloyd are on the screen, the movie is quite watchable;
when it's only Fox, it tends to grind down to HAPPY DAYS revisited.
Frankly, I'd like to see another movie with Doc and Marty doing some time
travelling on their own, sans the relatives.  That, I think, would be a film
worth paying full price for (this is a $2.50 movie, which is what I paid for
it).

A few questions:

1) Where have I seen (or heard) the person who played Marty's Dad before?
   The voice is amazingly familiar.

2) Are we supposed to imagine that Marty's parents' transformation into
   Yuppies makes everything OK?  Is it implying that the answer to family
   happiness is rich, cool (rather sexually active) parents?

3) Why don't they stick up a lightening rod to get power for the car's Time
   Flux Do-Dad?  They could drive around at 88 miles/hour with a grounded
   leash attached to the car....  Whoops, sorry, trying to insert logic...

		"Roads?  Where we're going, they don't NEED roads!"

        If he's not one thing,
           he's another. --->           Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
                                        John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
        fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (07/06/85)

>                              BACK TO THE FUTURE
>                       A film review by Mark R. Leeper
>
> really weird scientist (Christopher Lloyd), who one night reveals that he
>
>      The cast is made up almost exclusively of unknowns.  The minor
> exceptions are Lloyd, whose face is familiar from ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S
> NEST--he played a belligerent inmate--and from TO BE OR NOR TO BE.

Lest we forget, Rev. Jim (Taxi) also played the Klingon Commander in
THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK, John Bigbuti in BUCKAROO BANZAI, and has been
showing up in lots of other things that I can't remember at the moment.
I enjoy Lloyd's performances, though he does seem to have been
typecast in roles that display a certain detachment from reality!

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

I really liked this movie, even though, given the subject matter, you can
guess a lot of the consequences along the way.  It plays with a number of
claasic time travel paradoxes, as wel as some classic dramatic themes, but
somehow the familiarity didn't hurt at all; even though I figured out most
of what was going to happen at the end, it was still very funny.

Michael Fox and Christopher Lloyd work great together; so does Fox with the
people he runs into along the way.  The beginning sags a bit, though,
because the situation around the father is a lot too charicatured.

---------------Danger, Danger!  Spoiler ahead!-----------------------

I have to disagree with Jeff on one point though.  It seems pretty clear
from the beginning that Marty could definitely use a more assertive father--
something he causes himself.  Yuppieness just serves as a convenient
charicature to show this.  And his mother was no exactly a "nice" girl
before.

Oh, yeah, the lightning rod.  It's real convenient to know where the
lightning is going to strike, and it's rather clear that the hook is meant
to come out immediately; it's hanging on the wire at the end.

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (07/08/85)

In article <790@vax2.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>A few questions:
>
>1) Where have I seen (or heard) the person who played Marty's Dad before?
>   The voice is amazingly familiar.
The actor played a nerd part on TV recently, I didn't see the whole
show, and can't name it, I did love the work of the actor in the movie,
nerdish and loveable, one didn't feel alienated..

>2) Are we supposed to imagine that Marty's parents' transformation into
>   Yuppies makes everything OK?  Is it implying that the answer to family
>   happiness is rich, cool (rather sexually active) parents?

This was the quickest resolution, if you want to show success, then do it
materially, vanquish the villian. The fact that his dad had written
a book was a touch more human oriented success, he wasn't afraid to
to reach out and show the world something...

>3) Why don't they stick up a lightening rod to get power for the car's Time
>   Flux Do-Dad?  They could drive around at 88 miles/hour with a grounded
>   leash attached to the car....  Whoops, sorry, trying to insert logic...

To quote the good Dr. (Brown, not Asimov), lightening would be enough,
but we never know where it will strike, to which our
hero replied......We do now ( or something like that)

My own comments, the movie was predictable, but the maxim about not where
you go but how you get there ..
I loved a lot of bits of schtick, the chase sequence on the skateboard,
the Chuck Berry number etc, That the movie was continuously entertaining

--
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

		ihnp4!watmath!watarts!mupmalis

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (07/08/85)

In article <8649@ucbvax.ARPA>, upstill@ucbvax.ARPA (Steve Upstill) writes:

> 2) The performance of the lead actor, whose name I don't even know.

	His name is Michael J. Fox (sp?). Apparantly your not a big
 	TV fan since he stars in 'Family Ties', one of the biggest
        and best shows on TV this year. (Thanks partially to its
        lead in - 'Bill Cosby')

> 2a) The performance of Christopher Lloyd as the Mad Scientist (benevelant).

	I loved his performance

> 3) The script, by director Zemeckis
> and Bob Gale.  Believe me, if you know the premise of the movie, you can
> predict just about everything that's going to happen after about 20 minutes.
> Yet you enjoy seeing it happen anyway, because the dialogue is so good and
> the sense of comic detail so keen.

	I agree completely. This movie was great. I loved everything
	starting with the opening. There are a few suprises in the
  	movie, but these are more in minor details than in plot
        development. This movie is good for the whole family.
        I would give it a 8 on a 1 - 10 scale.

					Scott A. Stewart
 					LMSC

	"Order in organized Chaos."

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (07/09/85)

In article <2265@ut-sally.UUCP> barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) writes:

>>                              BACK TO THE FUTURE
>>                       A film review by Mark R. Leeper
>>
>> really weird scientist (Christopher Lloyd), who one night reveals that he
>>
>>      The cast is made up almost exclusively of unknowns.  The minor
>> exceptions are Lloyd, whose face is familiar from ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S
>> NEST--he played a belligerent inmate--and from TO BE OR NOR TO BE.
>
>Lest we forget, Rev. Jim (Taxi) also played the Klingon Commander in
>THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK, John Bigbuti in BUCKAROO BANZAI, and has been
>
>Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

That's BigbooTE'!  TE'!  as in, TAY!
Get it right, monkey boy!

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (07/10/85)

	There was only one paradox about the changes to the present that
occurred in Back to the Future.

	His parents change, and that was a result of his time travel.
	However, he also indirectly teaches Chuck Berry how to play Johnny
B. Goode. (Remember, "Chuck, this is your brother Marvin, remember that new
sound you were looking for ...")

	Now the question is: "How did Chuck Berry learn Johnny B. Goode
before time became out of joint?"
	[Perhaps some questions were not meant to be answered.]

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP (07/10/85)

>1) Where have I seen (or heard) the person who played Marty's Dad before?
>   The voice is amazingly familiar.

     He played the insecure kid in "Teachers" who gets blown away by the
cops in the school hallway after he pulls a gun out of his locker.

>2) Are we supposed to imagine that Marty's parents' transformation into
>   Yuppies makes everything OK?  Is it implying that the answer to family
>   happiness is rich, cool (rather sexually active) parents?

     Standard 1980's thinking.

>3) Why don't they stick up a lightening rod to get power for the car's Time
>   Flux Do-Dad?  They could drive around at 88 miles/hour with a grounded
>   leash attached to the car....  Whoops, sorry, trying to insert logic...

     Then they woudln't have a two-hour movie.

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (07/11/85)

In article <1786@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>	There was only one paradox about the changes to the present that
>occurred in Back to the Future.
>	Now the question is: "How did Chuck Berry learn Johnny B. Goode
>before time became out of joint?"
>	[Perhaps some questions were not meant to be answered.]

Exactly.  Ever read Heinlein's "All You Zombies"?  The "hero" was his
own father AND mother!  (The closing line was "At least I know where
I came from, do you?")
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

boyce@daemen.UUCP (Doug Boyce) (07/11/85)

> 	There was only one paradox about the changes to the present that
> occurred in Back to the Future.
Not true.

> 	His parents change, and that was a result of his time travel.
By changing his parents he has also changed Biff's life, and his siblings,
actually every one in contact with them. He also ends up changing his
yet-to-be-born children's lives.
> 	However, he also indirectly teaches Chuck Berry how to play Johnny
> B. Goode. (Remember, "Chuck, this is your brother Marvin, remember that new
> sound you were looking for ...")
>
> 	Now the question is: "How did Chuck Berry learn Johnny B. Goode
> before time became out of joint?"
Maybe Chuck Berry never got the inspiration for Johny B. Goode.  He might have
learned it from Marty before it ever became a hit and Chuck waited for the
right time to release.
Maybe it was predestined that Chuck would learn it from Marty who had in turn
learned from Chuck. (confusing?)
> 	[Perhaps some questions were not meant to be answered.]
>
> 				Craig Werner
> 				!philabs!aecom!werner

Don't forget he ends up saving Doc in the end.  Although Marty
tries so hard to warn Doc of his distant death Doc refuses to take it.
He rips up a message Marty puts in his pocket.  But the message ends up old but
intact in the future. Why?  Also when Doc was first riddled with bullets from
the Libyans I don't remember any blood. Could it have been that Doc
was already forwarned and had the bullet proof vest on already.

To all you time travel experts, I have heard various premises about but
wouldn't it be kind of distructive if you met future/past version of yourself.
Also wouldn't Marty coming back to the future before he had/will go back
to the past do as much damage to the time stream as his interaction with
his parents?

--
Doug Boyce   Daemen College, Amherst NY

UUCP : {decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath,rocksvax}!sunybcs!daemen!boyce
ARPA : boyce@buffalo.CSNET@csnet-relay
or
ARPA : boyce%daemen.uucp@buffalo.CSNET@csnet-relay

	"Who's that fellow outperforming everybody?"

	"That's Mr. Vax, code name 750.  He's licensed to core dump and
		segmentation fault."

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (07/12/85)

In article <790@vax2.fluke.UUCP> moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) writes:

>1) Where have I seen (or heard) the person who played Marty's Dad before?
>   The voice is amazingly familiar.

Ronald Reagan.

Nope, I'm not joking.  Listen to his voice.  He even does Reagan's "well"
perfectly.  He even looks somewhat like him.

Chris Andersen

--
"Roads?  Where we're going we don't need any roads!"

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (07/12/85)

In article <697@daemen.UUCP> boyce@daemen.UUCP (Doug Boyce) writes:

>> Now the question is: "How did Chuck Berry learn Johnny B. Goode
>> before time became out of joint?"
>
> Maybe Chuck Berry never got the inspiration for Johny B. Goode.  He might
> have learned it from Marty before it ever became a hit and Chuck waited for
>
> the right time to release.
> Maybe it was predestined that Chuck would learn it from Marty who had in turn
> learned from Chuck. (confusing?)

That's a time paradox.  How could they cyclically learn from each other?
It might have been that Chuck learned the style and "sound" from Marty...
but that also can get paradoxical.

>Don't forget he ends up saving Doc in the end.  Although Marty
>tries so hard to warn Doc of his distant death Doc refuses to take it.
>He rips up a message Marty puts in his pocket.  But the message ends up old but
>intact in the future. Why?

I've wondered about this too.  Remember he stuffed the letter back in his
pocket after he tore it up so I assume he just pasted it back together later.

>Also when Doc was first riddled with bullets from
>the Libyans I don't remember any blood. Could it have been that Doc
>was already forwarned and had the bullet proof vest on already.

Irk.. you don't have much of a conception of time.  "Already" had already
happened the "first time."  Thus he DID have the bullet-proof vest on
because he already had the letter.

>To all you time travel experts, I have heard various premises about but
>wouldn't it be kind of distructive if you met future/past version of yourself.
>Also wouldn't Marty coming back to the future before he had/will go back
>to the past do as much damage to the time stream as his interaction with
>his parents?

Yeh ... just his very presence might well have changed things.  But who would
know?  Only Marty in his frame of reference.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"There are none so blind as those that will not see"

knf@druxo.UUCP (FricklasK) (07/13/85)

--> "How did Chuck Berry learn Johnny B. Goode before..."?
    We're in world 2, see.  The question is how did the hero
    learn Jonny B. Goode in world 1....
   '`'`
   Ken
   '\'\'
"whu'd he say, Maude?"

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (07/14/85)

I would think that Marty's trip to the past affected MANY aspects of the
present which are not mentioned in the film.  I remember once reading a
short story about a time traveler who goes back to check out the dinosaurs.
All he does is step out of his machine, look around then get back in, but
doing so he accidentally kills a butterfly.  When he gets back to the
"present" things are radically different.  (Of course the farther back one
goes, the more drastic the effects of the visit.)  Does anyone remember
this story, and the author/title?  Thanks.
--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

>>> Now the question is: "How did Chuck Berry learn Johnny B. Goode
>>> before time became out of joint?"

>> Maybe Chuck Berry never got the inspiration for Johny B. Goode.  He might
>> have learned it from Marty before it ever became a hit and Chuck waited for

>> the right time to release.
>> Maybe it was predestined that Chuck would learn it from Marty who had in
>> turn learned from Chuck. (confusing?)

>That's a time paradox.  How could they cyclically learn from each other?
>It might have been that Chuck learned the style and "sound" from Marty...
>but that also can get paradoxical.

>>Don't forget he ends up saving Doc in the end.  Although Marty
>>tries so hard to warn Doc of his distant death Doc refuses to take it.
>>He rips up a message Marty puts in his pocket.  But the message ends up old
>>but intact in the future. Why?

>I've wondered about this too.  Remember he stuffed the letter back in his
>pocket after he tore it up so I assume he just pasted it back together later.

>>Also when Doc was first riddled with bullets from
>>the Libyans I don't remember any blood. Could it have been that Doc
>>was already forwarned and had the bullet proof vest on already.

>Irk.. you don't have much of a conception of time.  "Already" had already
>happened the "first time."  Thus he DID have the bullet-proof vest on
>because he already had the letter.

>>To all you time travel experts, I have heard various premises about but
>>wouldn't it be kind of distructive if you met future/past version of
>>yourself.
>>Also wouldn't Marty coming back to the future before he had/will go back
>>to the past do as much damage to the time stream as his interaction with
>>his parents?

>Yeh ... just his very presence might well have changed things.  But who would
>know?  Only Marty in his frame of reference.

Actually, there's only one serious praradox you need to resolve to get all
the others to go away: what happens to the "second" Marty?

Marty has this picture, from future v1.0 which is disappearing because
future v1.1 will be different.  But when he gets back home, he remembers
v1.0, even though he was making himself v1.0 disappear.  Either his memory
should somehow reflect 1.1 now instead of 1.0, or he couldn't cause himself
not to exist.

The only way I see out of this is to postulate that Marty v1.0 is distinct
from Marty v1.1, but that their existences are somehow coupled (at least up
to the point where they both go backwards.  It's certainly clear that Doc is
different; in v1.0 he is clearly NOT wearing the bullet-proof vest.  But
then you have to figure out where Marty v1.1 went to.

This possibly gets rid of the Chuck Berry paradox, because Berry v1.1 is
getting the sound from Berry v1.0.  All the information about the future of
v1.0 is coming from v1.1.  Unless Marty v1.1 goes back to the past and
interacts with v1.0, there's no loop.

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

  "You want me to make a donation to the Coast Guard Youth Auxiliary!"

Oh good grief.  Back to the Future, like most time travel stories,
doesn't even try to avoid or explain paradox.  Just ignore it and
enjoy the film!  (It's *very* enjoyable...)

(Btw, to anyone who didn't realize it, I was kidding about applying
Hogan's "Thrice Upon a Time" theory; the movie doesn't stick to
any one recognizable explanation.)

			"I've still got my hair!"
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

russell@acf4.UUCP (Bill Russell) (07/15/85)

There are several items which are different when he goes back.  Besides
his family and the house,  look at the sign outside of the mall.  When he
left is was "Twin Pines Mall" with two electric pine trees.  When he comes
back to the future it has changed to "Lone Pine Mall" with one electric
pine tree.

jimc@haddock.UUCP (07/15/85)

Yes, I remember it.  It is called "A Sound of Thunder", and it was
written by Ray Bradbury in the 1950's.   It is one of his more famous
stories, and it is available in many anthologies.

			Jim Campbell
			..!{ihnp4, allegra, harvard}!ima!haddock!jimc

brenda@rocksvax.UUCP (Brenda K. Joseph) (07/16/85)

**********This is a spoiler***********
	(sorry I forgot to put this on
	my subject line.  This is my first posting
	to the net.)

If you look closely at the letter that the doc shows Marty in this future,
you can easily see the yellowed tape and where the tears don't quite meet
from him putting it back together
after he tore it apart.  I watched (twice) and he does put the letter in his
pocket thirty years ago after tearing it up.

He does NOT have the vest on before Marty goes back to the future.
I sat through it twice
the other day, after seeing it once previously.

REgarding paradoxes:
This movie traces a line, not a loop.  The line is Marty's existence and his knowlede of events around him.  Before he goes back in time, the world is as we
know it and his world is as shown in the movie.  While back in time, he changes certain events.  For instance,  Chuck Berry hears him playing Johnny B Goode.
Had Marty never gone back in time, he would have learned it the same way he did
in our own past.  I believe the same logic resolves Doc and Marty meeting.
They met without Marty going back, they will meet again
 (esp. since Doc now knows
Marty).

When Marty comes "back", the people around him are aware of the changes he has
"caused" to the timeline, but he isn't.  He hasn't lived through them.

***My only problem is -- what happens to the Marty that lived in this new
universe up until the time the "original" Marty came back
from the future?  A friend
recommended I read "Thrice Upon A Time".  Apparently this has similar views
and puts forth  the theory that when Marty comes back from the past, the Marty
that has been living in the "altered universe" ceases to exist.  (I forget the
author's name -- haven't had a chance to read it yet.)

			Brenda Joseph
			Xerox Corporation

  Arpanet: Joseph.Henr@Xerox.ARPA
  CSNet: Not sure

"He's a peeping Tom....."

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (07/16/85)

Oh, you know how it is in real life.  We drink Generic Cola and we shop
at Mr. Generic.  We wear Generic shoes and drive Generic cars.  Movies
should reflect that.  Otherwise, they might lose touch with reality.

:-)

--

-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	sean@ukma.UUCP   or
-  Department of Mathematics			{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean

smc@mit-vax.UUCP (Stewart M. Clamen) (07/16/85)

	Probably the best way to think about a time travel film is as
little as possible, ie. to enjoy the film and its paradoxes and not
attempt to explain them.  Of course, trying to come up with a
consistent explanation of events only characterizes you as a human,
and I am no exception...

> Actually, there's only one serious praradox you need to resolve to get all
> the others to go away: what happens to the "second" Marty?

	I agree. One solution to the Berry problem is to assume that
the 'first' Chuck hears "the new sound" from someone else, but after
November 10, 1955.  All Marty does is teach it to him a bit earlier.

	Here is my attempt to resolve the "real" paradox:

	I tend to categorize the consistent time-travel stories I've
read/seen into 2 groups, the "1-past model", and the
"infinite-timeline model".  The former ides suggests that a time
traveler cannot travel back to the past and change it, because it has
already happened and he has already been there.  The latter assumes
that there are an infinite number of possible futures, and by
'changing' the past, you are just following a different one.  The
other future still 'exists' (for lack of a better word), though, as do
many other possible futures.  The time-traveler, returning to the
future, would find a different one, because he would be following a
different line.  On the other hand, if the traveler goes forward in
time, everything reamins causal, as when the dog Einstein his
propelled forward in the first test on the deLorean.

> Marty has this picture, from future v1.0 which is disappearing because
> future v1.1 will be different.  But when he gets back home, he remembers
> v1.0, even though he was making himself v1.0 disappear.  Either his memory
> should somehow reflect 1.1 now instead of 1.0, or he couldn't cause himself
> not to exist.

	I view the BTTF as following the "infinite-timeline model" to
some extent.  When the instance of Marty that the movie concentrates
on returns to his own time, he notices the changes because he grew up
in another (original?) timeline.  This new timeline differs from the
other one in that, in November 1955, a teenager from the future
arrives and confuses the lives of a number of contemporary figures.
The appearance of Marty in the past, an event which DID NOT occur in
the timeline in which our Marty was born, causes Marty's relative
time/space to diverge from its previous path, ie. he doesn't return to
the same place he came from.

	I think of the picture of himself and his siblings as a
dramatic prop, a link to this new future timeline, that his presence
in 1955 has led to.

> The only way I see out of this is to postulate that Marty v1.0 is distinct
> from Marty v1.1, but that their existences are somehow coupled (at least up
> to the point where they both go backwards.  It's certainly clear that Doc is
> different; in v1.0 he is clearly NOT wearing the bullet-proof vest.  But
> then you have to figure out where Marty v1.1 went to.

	An interesting thought about the 'second' Marty just crossed
my mind.  We really have no idea as to what point in time he went.
Remember in the 'first' timeline, Doc sets the clock to the day in
which he discovered the flux-converter, the invention that began his
work on the time machine.  In this new timeline, Doc remembers Marty
from 1955, and may not consider that a prime time to return to.  Maybe
this other Marty went to the future!

	Anyhow, we can assume that this other Marty traveled to some
point in space/time, ad if he went to the past, that he spawned off
yet another timeline, and if he went to the future, that he may meet
his other instance one day.

	I apologize for being so long winded; I hope I didn't bore you
too much.

ARPA: SMC%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA
USENET: ...!decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!smc%mit-oz

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (07/16/85)

In article <588@usl.UUCP> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:

> present which are not mentioned in the film.  I remember once reading a
> short story about a time traveler who goes back to check out the dinosaurs.
> All he does is step out of his machine, look around then get back in, but
> doing so he accidentally kills a butterfly.  When he gets back to the
> "present" things are radically different.  (Of course the farther back one
> goes, the more drastic the effects of the visit.)  Does anyone remember
> this story, and the author/title?  Thanks.
> --
> 				    Joe Arceneaux

Author is definately Ray Bradbury and the name is.... uh....  "Time
Safari" I think.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"There is not a single McDonald's in Garrett County"

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (07/16/85)

Whew!  Boy does this one bring back memories.  The story you refer
to is at least 35 years old.  It was a short story in a collection
by Heinlen(I think).  The hero of the story left his time with
everything running smoothly and everyone happy.  When he returns,
everything is in a mess - war, pestilence, etc..  All because he
stepped on that butterfly.  I read the story many years ago and
have thought about it every time one of these back to the future
stories comes up.  Someday, when the weather cools, I will go up
in the attic and see if I still have the collection the story
came from.
T. C. Wheeler

johnston@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/16/85)

You'll probably get a million responses, but, it's a short story by
Ray Bradbury called "The Sound of Thunder".  Actually, I can't remember
whether "The" is in the title or if it's really "A", or what.
I'm not sure which book it's in, but it might be in _The Illustrated Man_.
Boy, this sure turned out to be a worthless posting!

- Gary Johnston
USENET:	...!{pur_ee,ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!johnston
CSNET:	johnston%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa
ARPA:	johnston@uiuc.arpa

mcdaniel@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/17/85)

An answer to the Chuck Berry paradox: we're living in universe v1.1,
in which Chuck Berry was the first person to do "Johnny B. Goode".
In v1.0, someone else did it a little later.  (Not too much later,
or rock wouldn't have advanced to where an "Edward Van Halen" could
perform his style of "music".)

------------------

Tim McDaniel; CSRD at the Silicon Prairie
(Center for Supercomputing Research and Development at the University
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)

Usenet: ...{pur-ee|ihnp4|convex}!uiucdcs!mcdaniel
Csnet: mcdaniel%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa (really!)
Arpa: mcdaniel@Uiuc.arpa
Bitnet: MCDANIEL@UIUCVMD

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (Marguerite Czajka) (07/17/85)

> There are several items which are different when he goes back.  Besides
> his family and the house,  look at the sign outside of the mall.  When he
> left is was "Twin Pines Mall" with two electric pine trees.  When he comes
> back to the future it has changed to "Lone Pine Mall" with one electric
> pine tree.

The farmhouse that Michael J. Fox (forgot his movie name) was at was called
Twin Pines.  When he raced away - I think I remember one of the people
saying "There goes one of the pines!".  That must be where the mall got it`s
name.

shor@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Melinda Shore) (07/17/85)

> From: tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler)
> It was a short story in a collection
> by Heinlen(I think).  The hero of the story left his time with
> everything running smoothly and everyone happy.  When he returns,
> everything is in a mess - war, pestilence, etc..  All because he
> stepped on that butterfly.

It could have been by Heinlein, but methinks it was actually by
Bradbury.  At any rate, the time travellers return from their jaunt to
the age of the dinosaurs , and one (the guide, I believe) notices that
some words on a sign are spelled archaically.  He looks at the other
time traveller, sees a butterfly stuck to the bottom of his shoe, and
shoots him.  We're left with the sense that the oddly spelled sign is
the tip of the iceberg, and that history might be a fragile thing.  I
don't remember war *or* pestilence appearing explicitly.
--
Melinda Shore                               ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!shor
University of Chicago Computation Center    Staff.Melinda%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

williams@nacho.DEC (For office use only) (07/17/85)

David Cheason writes...

>The truth of the matter is that the fifties was the most blackest periods of
>American history.  Many people's lives were ruined as a result of
>institutionalized paranoia.  Great talents were not allowed to flourish on
>the stage, screen and in literature.  Mutual hate and suspicion was the rule
>of the day rather than the exception.

	"Blackest  periods"?!    "Mutual  hate  and  suspicion"?!
	_Back to the Future_  is  a  COMEDY.  It's supposed to be
	fun.  Would you rather  that  Marty had gone back to 1955
	to  find  that  his  parents  were   ruthlessly   hunting
	"pinkos".   Give me a break.  You're  missing  the  whole
	point.   It  makes  an  attempt,  albiet  a  feeble   one
	perhaps,  to see to show that weaknesses can be overcome.
	And  it  lets you live a day dream where you wonder  what
	your parents were  really  like when they were teenagers.
	Forget the heavy social  message.   It  was  a little day
	dreaming movie meant for entertainment  and  it  does   a
	good job. Try and have a good time.

	lowell williams

kaufman@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA (07/17/85)

/* Written 11:22 pm Jul 14,1985 by mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP in uiucdcs:net.movies */
Actually, there's only one serious praradox you need to resolve to get all
the others to go away: what happens to the "second" Marty?

Marty has this picture, from future v1.0 which is disappearing because
future v1.1 will be different.  But when he gets back home, he remembers
v1.0, even though he was making himself v1.0 disappear.  Either his memory
should somehow reflect 1.1 now instead of 1.0, or he couldn't cause himself
not to exist.
/* End of text from uiucdcs:net.movies */

This isn't too hard to imagine.  First of all, pre-1955 events should be
identical in v1.0 and v1.1.  From 1955 to 1985, there is some divergence,
but one can assume that in v1.1 Marty still gets involved with Doc, who still
develops his time machine and asks Marty to join him that fateful night.
There are the same Libyans, and Marty reacts the same way under stress.
Therefore, at the entry point and moment in 1955 v1.*, both Martys are
occupying the same space.  Somehow they merge.

There are three possible resolutions:
1) Marty 1955 is Marty v1.0, with Marty v1.1 either suppressed in his mind
or simply fizzled out of existence.  Marty will behave as in the movie,
thereby creating v1.1.
2) The other way around - Marty 1955 is Marty v1.1.  Depending on how much he
knows of his parents' past, he may be able to stumble through the events of
the movie to preserve v1.1.  Otherwise, he'll blot himself out of existence,
in turn creating v1.0, which in turn generates v1.1 etc. in an unstable loop.
3) Marty 1955 holds the memories of both Martys and proceeds accordingly.
I don't want to speculate on the effects of this, but the prospects are better
than in case 2, since he'll have two data sets to assimilate.  He may be able
to figure out how to generate the desirable future.  Then again, he might
become a raving schizoid stuck in 1955.

Since the first leads to the cleanest resolution, we can shave with Occam
to suggest that this would have the best chance of occurring.  Lo and behold,
this is actually consistent with the film.

But it doesn't matter.  You see, they soon go back even further in the past
and while there ...

Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (07/17/85)

> Whew!  Boy does this one bring back memories.  The story you refer
> to is at least 35 years old.  It was a short story in a collection
> by Heinlen(I think).  The hero of the story left his time with
> everything running smoothly and everyone happy.  When he returns,
> everything is in a mess - war, pestilence, etc..  All because he
> stepped on that butterfly.  I read the story many years ago and
> have thought about it every time one of these back to the future
> stories comes up.  Someday, when the weather cools, I will go up
> in the attic and see if I still have the collection the story
> came from.
> T. C. Wheeler

Actually, Heinlein had a book called "Time Enough for Love"
that has a similar flavor to Back To The Future but with a
little Heinlein-type kick. A great book and a big one too!

I highly reccommend it to anyone who like BTTF.

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (07/18/85)

> > From: tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler)
> > It was a short story in a collection
> > by Heinlen(I think).  The hero of the story left his time with
> > everything running smoothly and everyone happy.  When he returns,
> > everything is in a mess - war, pestilence, etc..  All because he
> > stepped on that butterfly.
>
> It could have been by Heinlein, but methinks it was actually by
> Bradbury.  At any rate, the time travellers return from their jaunt to
> the age of the dinosaurs , and one (the guide, I believe) notices that
> some words on a sign are spelled archaically.  He looks at the other
> time traveller, sees a butterfly stuck to the bottom of his shoe, and
> shoots him.  We're left with the sense that the oddly spelled sign is
> the tip of the iceberg, and that history might be a fragile thing.  I
> don't remember war *or* pestilence appearing explicitly.

Actually, the story does give you a little more information than that.

When the travelers leave, it is a time of national turmoil and right after
a major national election.  The heads of the two parties attempting to
gain national power represent democracy and totalitarianism ideals
(many parallels to pre WWII germany during late 1920s here).

When the time travellers left, everyone was rejoicing because the democratic
party had won over the "neo-nazi" totalitarian party, who was trying to gain
power.  When the time travellers return, the letters on the sign are oddly
spelled .  Then someone asks about the election.  It seems the totalitarian
party was elected over the other party, the head of the "neo-nazi" party
had his former opposition put to death, and the county was now in a
quasi-militaristic state.

                      -- Walt Tucker
                         Tektronix, Inc.
The "time safari" takes you back in time to kill a dinosaur.  This, of
course, costs large sums of money, and only dinosaurs that were going
to die in the next few minutes are actually killed.  The time travellers
must stay in a spec lets you

ronnie@mit-eddie.UUCP (Ronnie Schnell) (07/18/85)

Does it seem reasonable that when Marty was growing up that his
parents would be kind of suprised by the striking resemblence
between their child and that weirdo guitarist that played at their
``Enchantment under the sea dance''?  I would think that Marty's
father would definitely suspenct Marty's mother of cheating with
Marty(?)

				..mit-eddie!ronnie
				ronnie@mit-mc.arpa

jimc@ima.UUCP (07/18/85)

If you want to find it, don't look under Heinlen!  It is called
"A Sound of Thunder", written by Ray Bradbury.  It is a classic,
though, like _Back_to_the_Future_, it is premised on an assumption
about time travel which I feel is incorrect.  At any rate, enjoy.

comstock@tymix.UUCP (Dave Comstock) (07/19/85)

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (07/19/85)

In article <1110020@acf4.UUCP> russell@acf4.UUCP (Bill Russell) writes:
>There are several items which are different when he goes back.  Besides
>his family and the house,  look at the sign outside of the mall.  When he
>left is was "Twin Pines Mall" with two electric pine trees.  When he comes
>back to the future it has changed to "Lone Pine Mall" with one electric
>pine tree.

This is because Marty ran over one of the pines when he left Mr. Peabody's
farm.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (07/19/85)

> Does it seem reasonable that when Marty was growing up that his
> parents would be kind of suprised by the striking resemblence
> between their child and that weirdo guitarist that played at their
> ``Enchantment under the sea dance''?  I would think that Marty's
> father would definitely suspenct Marty's mother of cheating with
> Marty(?)

        1.  Marty is not going to be born until  1967  or  so.  So  is
        George going to suspect his wife of cheating with someone they
        haven't seen in 12 years?

        2.  By the time Marty gets old enough  to  resemble  Marty  in
        1955  somewhat  we're  up  to  1980.  Would  you remember what
        someone you saw a few times over a period of a week  25  years
        ago  looks  like?  Now  if  they had took some photos of Marty
        from 1955 that might be different.

        3.  Assuming that Marty is actually their son there should  be
        some  family  resemblence, so George shouldn't have any reason
        to get suspicious in the first place.  From  the  comments  in
        the  movie I would suspect that Marty takes after his mother's
        side more.  Think of  the  plot  complications  if  Marty  had
        looked  just  like  his  father!  Of course he could have been
        adopted like Doc Brown suggested.

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (07/19/85)

In article <4727@mit-eddie.UUCP> ronnie@mit-eddie.UUCP (Ronnie Schnell) writes:
>Does it seem reasonable that when Marty was growing up that his
>parents would be kind of suprised by the striking resemblence
>between their child and that weirdo guitarist that played at their
>``Enchantment under the sea dance''?  I would think that Marty's
>father would definitely suspenct Marty's mother of cheating with
>Marty(?)

Marty was the second born though, there would be a problem,
nice try....

Another comment about Back to the Future, did you notice that there
was only one black with a speaking part, if not only one black in the
movie, also the female roles in the film fell a little bit short
of what one might call full human poetential. The comment about
Spielberg involved films (I'll come back to goonies) is that they
are suburban, the suburbs are white bread and mayo, but still
there is space for some other representations that Harrison Ford
or some variant of his younger brother. Goonies was an exception
but in the case of a group instead of one against the world
the mix seeemed appropriate, but they were not real people at least
not for kids to identify with....

Things I hope are improving, but the occasional good interpratation of
a role by somebody else is wanting, I mean all Latvians are represented
on the screen by Gene Barry!

Ta Ta Tinsel Town, signing off for now....

--

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (07/20/85)

> /* Written 11:22 pm Jul 14,1985 by mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP in uiucdcs:net.movies */
> Actually, there's only one serious praradox you need to resolve to get all
> the others to go away: what happens to the "second" Marty?
>
> Marty has this picture, from future v1.0 which is disappearing because
> future v1.1 will be different.  But when he gets back home, he remembers
> v1.0, even though he was making himself v1.0 disappear.  Either his memory
> should somehow reflect 1.1 now instead of 1.0, or he couldn't cause himself
> not to exist.
> /* End of text from uiucdcs:net.movies */
>
> This isn't too hard to imagine.  First of all, pre-1955 events should be
> identical in v1.0 and v1.1.  From 1955 to 1985, there is some divergence,
> but one can assume that in v1.1 Marty still gets involved with Doc, who still
> develops his time machine and asks Marty to join him that fateful night.
> There are the same Libyans, and Marty reacts the same way under stress.
> Therefore, at the entry point and moment in 1955 v1.*, both Martys are
> occupying the same space.  Somehow they merge.
>
> There are three possible resolutions:
> 1) Marty 1955 is Marty v1.0, with Marty v1.1 either suppressed in his mind
> or simply fizzled out of existence.  Marty will behave as in the movie,
> thereby creating v1.1.
> 2) The other way around - Marty 1955 is Marty v1.1.  Depending on how much he
> knows of his parents' past, he may be able to stumble through the events of
> the movie to preserve v1.1.  Otherwise, he'll blot himself out of existence,
> in turn creating v1.0, which in turn generates v1.1 etc. in an unstable loop.
> 3) Marty 1955 holds the memories of both Martys and proceeds accordingly.
> I don't want to speculate on the effects of this, but the prospects are better
> than in case 2, since he'll have two data sets to assimilate.  He may be able
> to figure out how to generate the desirable future.  Then again, he might
> become a raving schizoid stuck in 1955.
>
> Since the first leads to the cleanest resolution, we can shave with Occam
> to suggest that this would have the best chance of occurring.  Lo and behold,
> this is actually consistent with the film.
>
> But it doesn't matter.  You see, they soon go back even further in the past
> and while there ...
>
> Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)

I've been following this discussion for awhile, and I just had to comment
that this is the only hypothesis that leaves me feeling as if the issue
could possibly be resolved.

BUT, of course, the issue can't be resolved.  That's why they call it
"paradox".

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxlm!wws

comstock@tymix.UUCP (Dave Comstock) (07/20/85)

The disaster that occurred in the book was the election of a Hitler-like
dictator.  As I recall, the time travellers left on their journey just before
an important election between a man that everyone felt would be a good leader
and the despot.  The title, which I am sure was something like "A Sound Of
Thunder", was the last line of the story, and I still have a vivid
recollection of that final line.

	            David Comstock      Tymnet, Inc.
             ...decvax!ucbvax!hplabs!oliveb!tymix!comstock

ronnie@mit-eddie.UUCP (Ronnie Schnell) (07/21/85)

> Oh, you know how it is in real life.  We drink Generic Cola and we shop
> at Mr. Generic.  We wear Generic shoes and drive Generic cars.  Movies
> should reflect that.  Otherwise, they might lose touch with reality.

> :-)

Well, the producers/directors seemed to have no problem blurring out all
of the other stores at the twin/lone pines mall, with the exception of
one department store and a photography developing store, both of which
shall remain nameless.

						#Ron

becker@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/21/85)

>In article <588@usl.UUCP> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:
>>
>> present which are not mentioned in the film.  I remember once reading a
>> short story about a time traveler who goes back to check out the dinosaurs.
>> All he does is step out of his machine, look around then get back in, but
>> doing so he accidentally kills a butterfly.  When he gets back to the
>> "present" things are radically different.  (Of course the farther back one
>> goes, the more drastic the effects of the visit.)  Does anyone remember
>> this story, and the author/title?  Thanks.
>> --
>> 				    Joe Arceneaux
>
>Author is definately Ray Bradbury and the name is.... uh....  "Time
>Safari" I think.
>
>UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
>ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

Yes, it *is* Ray Bradbury, not Heinlein. The story was called "A Sound of
Thunder" and I believe "Time Safari" was the name of the business that
sent people back.

Craig Becker
ihnp4!uiucdcs!becker

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (07/21/85)

I think there may even be a better explanation for the two Marty's then so
far suggested (and one with some strange consequences).

First we have Marty v1.0 who grew up with his nerdy father and fat mother.
In 1985, he is sent back in time to 1955 by the profesors time machine.
While there he screws up time in such a way that he creates an alternate
future (after 1955) with a different Marty (v1.1).  When he finally returns
to 1985, he actually returns to Marty (v1.1)'s timeline and not the original
one.  He gets there just in time to see Marty v1.1 head of into the past
and Marty v1.0 now has to live in the Marty v1.1's timeline.  However, when
Marty v1.1 goes back in time, he too screws up the timelines to create
(get this) Marty v1.2

This continues on and on, constantly creating new Marty's until one of them
somehow prevents his next regeneration from going back in time, or until one
of them screws up time so much that the next Marty down the line is never
created (ie he failed to get his parents together).

Chris Andersen
--
tektronix!azure!chrisa

In article <4745@mit-eddie.UUCP> Ronnie Schnell writes:

>> Oh, you know how it is in real life.  We drink Generic Cola and we shop
>> at Mr. Generic.  We wear Generic shoes and drive Generic cars.  Movies
>> should reflect that.  Otherwise, they might lose touch with reality.

>Well, the producers/directors seemed to have no problem blurring out all
>of the other stores at the twin/lone pines mall, with the exception of
>one department store and a photography developing store, both of which
>shall remain nameless.

I don't know, they DO lend an important air of verisimitude.

Besides, shouldn't whoever gets used as props pay for the free publicity?

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

training@rtech.UUCP (Training account) (07/22/85)

> > There are several items which are different when he goes back.  Besides
> > his family and the house,  look at the sign outside of the mall.  When he
> > left is was "Twin Pines Mall" with two electric pine trees.  When he comes
> > back to the future it has changed to "Lone Pine Mall" with one electric
> > pine tree.

> The farmhouse that Michael J. Fox (forgot his movie name) was at was called
> Twin Pines.  When he raced away - I think I remember one of the people
> saying "There goes one of the pines!".  That must be where the mall got it`s
> name.

Before Marty goes into the past, the professor tells him that the mall was
built on Peabody's farm, and that Peabody was trying to crossbreed
two pine trees.  At that point, the mall is "Twin Pines Mall".  When Marty
is escaping from the farmer and his family, he hits one of the two pines,
and when he returns from the past, the mall is "Lone Pine Mall".

Also, the Bradbury book that the butterfly story is in is "S is for Space".

Robert Orenstein
Relational Technology

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (07/22/85)

In article <13900047@haddock.UUCP> jimc@haddock.UUCP writes:

> Yes, I remember it.  It is called "A Sound of Thunder", and it was
> written by Ray Bradbury in the 1950's.   It is one of his more famous
> stories, and it is available in many anthologies.

As the original poster of this question, I thought I'd mention that the
concensus as well as the strongest evidence (presented in my mail)
is for "A Sound of Thunder" by Bradbury.
--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (07/23/85)

> In article <4727@mit-eddie.UUCP> ronnie@mit-eddie.UUCP (Ronnie Schnell) writes:
> >Does it seem reasonable that when Marty was growing up that his
> >parents would be kind of suprised by the striking resemblence
> >between their child and that weirdo guitarist that played at their
> >``Enchantment under the sea dance''?  I would think that Marty's
> >father would definitely suspenct Marty's mother of cheating with
> >Marty(?)
>
> Marty was the second born though, there would be a problem,
> nice try....
>
> Another comment about Back to the Future, did you notice that there
> was only one black with a speaking part, if not only one black in the
> movie, also the female roles in the film fell a little bit short
> of what one might call full human poetential. The comment about
> Spielberg involved films (I'll come back to goonies) is that they
> are suburban, the suburbs are white bread and mayo, but still
> there is space for some other representations that Harrison Ford
> or some variant of his younger brother. Goonies was an exception
> but in the case of a group instead of one against the world
> the mix seeemed appropriate, but they were not real people at least
> not for kids to identify with....

How about the fact that all Spielberg movies seem to involve
rebellion against parents and authority figures?  At the very least,
such people are often made out to be irrational meanies, e. g. the
dean in Back to the Future.
--
-----
"Rescue your DNPC from a horrifying menace today!"

In article <8494@watarts.UUCP> mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) writes:

>Another comment about Back to the Future, did you notice that there
>was only one black with a speaking part, if not only one black in the
>movie, also the female roles in the film fell a little bit short
>of what one might call full human poetential. The comment about
>Spielberg involved films (I'll come back to goonies) is that they
>are suburban, the suburbs are white bread and mayo, but still
>there is space for some other representations that Harrison Ford
>or some variant of his younger brother. Goonies was an exception
>but in the case of a group instead of one against the world
>the mix seeemed appropriate, but they were not real people at least
>not for kids to identify with....

This is both wrong and silly.  There are a number of black speaking parts.
Regardless of that, didja ever stop to consider that the positions of women
and blacks in society (even California society) were just a wee bit
different back then?  I don't know how well integrated S. Cal. was back
then, but the East Coast sure wasn't.  Besides, this is comedy.  A little
characture isn't that grave a sin.

This movie has put a wierd set of conflicting impulses in me.  On the one
hand, there's a part of me that would like to go back and visit the late 50s
and early 60s.  On the other hand, another part of me likes it just fine
right here, and would prefer to be 10 years younger-- now.  I guess it's
freedom versus simplicity.  Oh Well.

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP (07/24/85)

>>> Oh, you know how it is in real life.  We drink Generic Cola and we shop
>>> at Mr. Generic.  We wear Generic shoes and drive Generic cars.  Movies
>>> should reflect that.  Otherwise, they might lose touch with reality.

>>Well, the producers/directors seemed to have no problem blurring out all
>>of the other stores at the twin/lone pines mall, with the exception of
>>one department store and a photography developing store, both of which
>>shall remain nameless.

>I don't know, they DO lend an important air of verisimitude.

>Besides, shouldn't whoever gets used as props pay for the free publicity?

     But they do!!! Remember ET??? They originally wanted to use M & M's (*)
candy when Elliot is trying to get ET to come out of the shed, but M & M's
didn't think it was a wise choice, so they used Reese's Pieces (*) instead,
and Reese's Pieces sold like hot cakes for a while after the movie opened.
I vaguely remember whoever makes Reese's paying a tidy sum for "this honor".

				You think I'd sign my name to this???

(*) Reese's Pieces and M & M's are probably trademarks of two totally different
companies and I really don't care.

boyce@daemen.UUCP (Doug Boyce) (07/25/85)

> Does it seem reasonable that when Marty was growing up that his
> parents would be kind of suprised by the striking resemblence
> between their child and that weirdo guitarist that played at their
> ``Enchantment under the sea dance''?  I would think that Marty's
> father would definitely suspenct Marty's mother of cheating with
> Marty(?)
>
> 				..mit-eddie!ronnie
> 				ronnie@mit-mc.arpa

That does seem resonable, but with the passing years they "wouldn't"
remember exactly what he looks like since they only saw him off and on
for about a week. That's not an awful amount of time to remember a face for
the next *thirty* years now is it?

The novelization does touch on it but not much. Marty asks what ever happened
to the guy he was named after and his mother wonders how he knew about that
and says that "he vanished into thin air."
--

Doug Boyce   Daemen College, Amherst NY

UUCP : {decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath,rocksvax}!sunybcs!daemen!boyce
ARPA : boyce@buffalo.CSNET@csnet-relay
or
ARPA : boyce%daemen.uucp@buffalo.CSNET@csnet-relay

	"What a hypocrite, after all that lecturing about screwing up the
		space-time continuum..."
	"Yeah, well, I figured what the hell.."

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (07/25/85)

In article <972@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:

>This is both wrong and silly.  There are a number of black speaking parts.
>Regardless of that, didja ever stop to consider that the positions of women
>and blacks in society (even California society) were just a wee bit
>different back then?  I don't know how well integrated S. Cal. was back
>then, but the East Coast sure wasn't.  Besides, this is comedy.  A little
>characture isn't that grave a sin.

The point is that films while they can be instruments of social change,
criticism etcetera do no have to be mobilising forces of change. However
they should reflect change in society.  After I posted I rembered the
band, but they were in essence "brought in to entertain the suburb kids".
I would let one movie go by or two, but if many movies that kids see
don't provide the same message of what we would like western society to
be and what it actually is, then something is going to get lost in the shuffle.
Children can see that older people can relate to younger people, that
our ecology is a precious thing that can be lost.  The impact of
movies like Cotton Club, Who has seen the wolf, Harry and Tonto each in
their own way are representative of other values seperate from
suburbia and yuppie dum...

--

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/25/85)

> In article <588@usl.UUCP> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:
> >
> > present which are not mentioned in the film.  I remember once reading a
> > short story about a time traveler who goes back to check out the dinosaurs.
> > All he does is step out of his machine, look around then get back in, but
> > doing so he accidentally kills a butterfly.  When he gets back to the
> > "present" things are radically different.  (Of course the farther back one
> > goes, the more drastic the effects of the visit.)  Does anyone remember
> > this story, and the author/title?  Thanks.
> > --
> > 				    Joe Arceneaux
>
> Author is definately Ray Bradbury and the name is.... uh....  "Time
> Safari" I think.
> --
>
> UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
> ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO
>
> "There is not a single McDonald's in Garrett County"

Actually, there is a better story along these same lines.  I don't remember
the title, (I *think* Asimov wrote it), but it starts out in a classroom
with a bunch of students watching the professor demonstrate that time
travel *can't* alter anything; nothing relies so heavily on any one event
for the future to be significantly changed.  As demonstration, the
professor starts a pendulum swinging back and forth through a time
travel device which moves back a million years on every swing.  Of course,
by the end of the demonstration, a couple dozen swings later (with
detailed descriptions of that caterpillar being killed, which causes
A, then B, then C, then D, and so on), nothing has changed, at least
that anyone realizes.  It's just that all the students and the professor
are now intelligent reptiles!

The whole story is only a couple of pages.

In article <384@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:
>How about the fact that all Spielberg movies seem to involve
>rebellion against parents and authority figures?  At the very least,
>such people are often made out to be irrational meanies, e. g. the
>dean in Back to the Future.

Oh, come now.... you never had someone like that dean at YOUR school?

Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe

   "Yeah, well, history's gonna change."

jims@hcrvax.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) (07/26/85)

> Another comment about Back to the Future, did you notice that there
> was only one black with a speaking part, if not only one black in the
> movie, also the female roles in the film fell a little bit short
> of what one might call full human poetential.

But did you notice that the One Black was the Mayor of the town ??
Times were different then, but times changes, sometime for the better.

Jim Sullivan

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (07/27/85)

> In article <384@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) writes:
> >How about the fact that all Spielberg movies seem to involve
> >rebellion against parents and authority figures?  At the very least,
> >such people are often made out to be irrational meanies, e. g. the
> >dean in Back to the Future.
>
> Oh, come now.... you never had someone like that dean at YOUR school?
>
> Charley Wingate   umcp-cs!mangoe
>
>    "Yeah, well, history's gonna change."

Whether I did or not, I wonder if all the parents sending their
kiddies to such "cute" and "innocent" movies realize what their
children are being shown...
--

In article <8500@watarts.UUCP> mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) writes:

>The point is that films while they can be instruments of social change,
>criticism etcetera do no have to be mobilising forces of change. However
>they should reflect change in society.  After I posted I rembered the
>band, but they were in essence "brought in to entertain the suburb kids".
>I would let one movie go by or two, but if many movies that kids see
>don't provide the same message of what we would like western society to
>be and what it actually is, then something is going to get lost in the
>shuffle.

>Children can see that older people can relate to younger people, that
>our ecology is a precious thing that can be lost.  The impact of
>movies like Cotton Club, Who has seen the wolf, Harry and Tonto each in
>their own way are representative of other values seperate from
>suburbia and yuppie dum...

Sure, movies can do this.  But not all movies can do this.  We've just spent
a decade tearing apart the past.  Why not, then, a movie that remembers some
of what was good about the past, and that recalls what we share with our
parents?

One of the points of this film was that Marty's parents were once kids too.
A lot of the appeal of the movie draws on this.  Sure, there were a lot of
bad things about the 50's.  The movie points a lot of them out itself.  But
people need to remember that there were good things too, like Doc.

Charley Wingate

wws@whuxlm.UUCP (Stoll W William) (08/02/85)

On the subject of blatant commercialism, the following article appeared
In the Newark NJ paper, the Star Ledger (Thurs, 8-1-85):

	The raisins ended up on the cutting room floor
	rather than in the mouth of actor Michael J. Fox, so
	the California Raisin Advisory Board got a $25,000
	refund.  The film's producers were paid $50,000 to
	have Fox munch on raisins during the popular movie,
	"Back to the Future."  That scene was cut, and
	advisory board members threatended to sue.  But they
	were appeased when a $25,000 refund check arrived.
	After all, the movie shows California raisins
	advertised on a bus stop bench.

Bill Stoll, ..!whuxlm!wws

petrick@lll-crg.ARPA (Jim Petrick) (08/04/85)

>>1) Where have I seen (or heard) the person who played Marty's Dad before?
>>   The voice is amazingly familiar.

He was in 'My Tutor', as the best friend of the main character (the one who
finally went down to Mexico to get laid).

steve@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Steve Holtsberg) (08/16/85)

OK, it the earth is moving and you are not, you'll end up somewhere
else when you travel through time.  I admit it- I wasn't thinking
when I said you'd end up in the same place.  I was wrong.  Unfortunately
a lot of netters are still sending me mail- no need to any more!
Of course, Doc knew this- that's why he used a Delorean!

Steven Holtsberg