[comp.lang.ada] Hi everyone out there in adaland!

ttg@pnet02.gryphon.com (Ted Garrett) (08/29/89)

Does anyone know where I can obtain an ADA compiler for my xenix system?  I
run a 68k-based tandy 6000 and need this compiler to be in source code format
(like xlisp).  I'd really like to try ada out and see what she's made of.

--
Ted Garrett             !gryphon!ttg <uucp>

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!ttg
INET: ttg@pnet02.gryphon.com

jourdan@seti.inria.fr (Martin Jourdan) (08/30/89)

In article <19247@gryphon.COM> ttg@pnet02.gryphon.com (Ted Garrett) writes:
> Does anyone know where I can obtain an ADA compiler for my xenix system?  I
> run a 68k-based tandy 6000 and need this compiler to be in source code format
							     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Given the huge amount of effort needed to write even a naive Ada
compiler, I strongly doubt that you can obtain the source code of any
compiler at low cost.  I remember someone from Alsys saying some years
ago that they sold their Ada front-end (no code generator included)
for 1 million french francs (please, Alsys, no flame!).

If you want to know more about the inside of an Ada compiler although
not necessarily the one you can run on your machine, you might be
interested by the following book:
	J. Uhl et al.: An Attributed Grammar for the Semantic Analysis
	of Ada, LNCS 139, Springer-Verlag, 1982
It is a 500+ pages (!) attribute grammar to be processed by the GAG
system describing a front-end for Ada.
--

Martin Jourdan <jourdan@minos.inria.fr>, INRIA, Rocquencourt, France.
Why do we need all these %$#@%$# disclaimers?!?