[comp.lang.ada] Ada vs real-world programming languages

bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Hunter) (11/25/89)

ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) writes:
>     Putting myself in the position of an Air Force pilot, I should
>imagine I would want my own computer science to be at least as good as
>that available to representatives of the Soviet armed forces for $150 at
>any B Dalton's store.  I mean, if I were the guy getting into machine
>gun and rocket fights at 1600 mph and someone told me that my machine
>guns and rockets were functioning less reliably and/or 100 times slower
>than the other guy's because his people bought a copy of Zortech's C++
>compiler at Dalton's for $150 while my guys were out spending $10
>Billion on Ada, I'd take the next load of bombs and rockets they gave me
>to test out and test them out on the Ada PMO.  I'm surprised it hasn't
>been done.
>Ted Holden,  HTE
This looks like an old posting...is someone along the line burping up old
postings again??

Ted, this makes no sense.  First of all Zortech's C++ is only targeted (as far
as I know) for the intel iapx80x86 family of processors running OS/2 and
MS-DOS.  Unless it has been retargeted for the 1750 or some other popular
flight qual'd processor I would doubt that this comparison makes any sense.
The second thing is that the run time efficiency of the code can not be
compared to the compile speed...just to the code generation quality!  Third
thing is that in an embedded system maybe due to less overhead some certain
implementation of a c++ compiler will beat some certain implementation of an
Ada compiler to handle an interrupt (although since c++ doesn't have a builit
in ability to handle interrupt, it will have to be done partially outside of
the language).  But, if they are both able to answer to interrupt within the
required maximum latency then everything is peachy with both implementations!
And we all know which one it is easier to write code in....

                                        Michael Hunter

Mike Hunter - Box's and CPU's from HELL: iapx80[012]86, PR1ME 50 Series, 1750a
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!bagpiper
INET: bagpiper@pnet02.gryphon.com