[comp.lang.ada] interesting statistic

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/19/89)

Wolfe wrote:
[about Ada]
|    The fact that good production-quality compilers have only been
|    avaliable for the last year or two probably has a lot to do with it...
...and later in the same article...
|    Considering that the largest corporation in the WORLD, Nippon
|    Telegraph and Telephone, has maintained a committment to Ada
|    since 1982 (!!!), I'd say that Ada is certainly making excellent
|    progress in the commercial environment...

Considering those two together, I'd say Ada's appeal must be nothing short
of amazing!  Call it two years that production-quality compilers have been
available, i.e., 1987...

I guess we can conclude that NTT maintained a commitment to Ada in spite of
a five-year lack of production-quality compilers???
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...`Just say no' to mindless dogma.

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (11/23/89)

From rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn):
> I guess we can conclude that NTT maintained a commitment to Ada in spite of
> a five-year lack of production-quality compilers???

    Conclusion correct... they were apparently doing MIS applications
    in which the quality of the object code was not very important.

    Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

horstman@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu (Cay Horstmann) (11/25/89)

In article <7172@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>From rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn):
>> I guess we can conclude that NTT maintained a commitment to Ada in spite of
>> a five-year lack of production-quality compilers???
>
>    Conclusion correct... they were apparently doing MIS applications
>    in which the quality of the object code was not very important.
>

>    Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

I guess we therefore can conclude that Ada is perfectly suited for doing
MIS applications in which the quality of the object code is not very important.

If Ada has friends like Bill, does it need enemies?  :-)

Cay

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (11/26/89)

From horstman@sjsumcs.sjsu.edu (Cay Horstmann):

%
% I guess we therefore can conclude that Ada is perfectly suited for doing
% MIS applications in which the quality of the object code is not very
% important.

    Quite correct.  Now that production-quality compilers are widely
    available, it is also perfectly suited for an extremely wide range
    of applications, and is being used accordingly.

    Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu