[net.movies] Strange Preview Practices

In article <3254@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) writes:

>Well, I live in NJ, and I find that I discriminate heavily when it comes
>to moviegoing.  Within 15 minutes of New Brunswick, I can think of at least
>twenty-count 'em-twenty movie screens.  There are a lot of movies to choose
>from, and I can bet that advertising for a movie will be quite extensive
>due to this large amount.  One other thing of note is that in the theatres,
>they also show a lot of minute-long+ previews.  Is this true elsewhere too?

One thing that's started around here is the practice of running COMMERCIALS
with the previews!  I mean commercials just like on the small screen!

Has this obnoxious practice appeared elsewhere?

C Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe  (here is C.P., Md.)

"You want me to make a donation to the Coast Guard Youth Auxiliary!"

kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) (08/14/85)

> >.....  One other thing of note is that in the theatres,
> >they also show a lot of minute-long+ previews.  Is this true elsewhere too?
>
> One thing that's started around here is the practice of running COMMERCIALS
> with the previews!  I mean commercials just like on the small screen!
>
> Has this obnoxious practice appeared elsewhere?
>
> C Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe  (here is C.P., Md.)

      Yes Charley, this practice (and it is obnoxious) has spread; to the San
Francisco bay area. Some dumb jean company (rhymes with Lardash) was the
featurette.

      (But wait a minute, who was the dumb one here; the jean company
that made the commercial or the theaters that showed it?)

bhayes@Glacier.ARPA (Barry Hayes) (08/14/85)

One place the "strange practice" of showing commercials before movies
shows up is pretty much all of Europe.  I just got back from the UK, and
I swear that if I ever see Telly flogging Baccardi Rum ever again, I'll
scream.

larsen@utah-gr.UUCP (Mark Larsen) (08/15/85)

Around here (SLC, UT), we get several previews before each movie
(including double-features!).  A few years ago, they tried running
advertisements here but too many people complained so they stopped
that.  Just recently the biggest theater group (Plitt) signed an
agreement with some rock video company to show a single video before
selected movies; i.e., not in every theater before every showing.
So far, I have only been subjected twice to this.  I just hope they
change there mind on this one too.
-lml
--
-----------
Ma faute! Comment cela?		L. Mark Larsen

ccrbrian@ucdavis.UUCP (Brian Reilly) (08/16/85)

> In article <3254@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) writes:
>
> >Well, I live in NJ, and I find that I discriminate heavily when it comes
> >to moviegoing.  Within 15 minutes of New Brunswick, I can think of at least
> >twenty-count 'em-twenty movie screens.  There are a lot of movies to choose
> >from, and I can bet that advertising for a movie will be quite extensive
> >due to this large amount.  One other thing of note is that in the theatres,
> >they also show a lot of minute-long+ previews.  Is this true elsewhere too?
>
> One thing that's started around here is the practice of running COMMERCIALS
> with the previews!  I mean commercials just like on the small screen!
>
> Has this obnoxious practice appeared elsewhere?
>
> C Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe  (here is C.P., Md.)

The last ( and it was the last ) time I went to a movie here in
Davis, I paid $5.00 to watch 10 minutes of commercials and previews
that finished up with a pitch for the 'Will Rogers Institute' (which
I am sure is a place worthy of donations) and 2 ushers with hats for
donations walking through the aisles.  Then, they had the nerve to
show "Mad Max ..." on a screen with a giant scratch in the middle
and lousy sound.  Boy, was I ticked! But this isn't New Brunswick,
so we only have 3 screens within 15 minutes, and the same people
own all of them.

Maybe I will move back to Perth Amboy after all.

		- Brian Reilly

--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
     Brian Reilly                    Davis, CA 95616

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/16/85)

In article <1201@umcp-cs.UUCP> mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
>In article <3254@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jon) writes:
>
>>One other thing of note is that in the theatres,
>>they also show a lot of minute-long+ previews.  Is this true elsewhere too?
>
>One thing that's started around here is the practice of running COMMERCIALS
>with the previews!  I mean commercials just like on the small screen!
>
>Has this obnoxious practice appeared elsewhere?

In Los Angeles, the majority of the movie theaters have somehow been
bamboozled into showing 15 second trailers for the LA Times, of all things.
The Times tries to package them as mini local history lessons, but by God
I get tired of hearing about bankers telling Disney that amusement parks
make poor investments, recall elections from 50 years ago, and the wonderful
man who used to run the the city's waterworks.  Once or twice, OK, but they
run these things for a couple of months, which means I get to see each of
them about 20 times.

We also have a seasonal phenomenon in Westwood: every fall the Mann theaters
in Westwood (that's most of the theaters in the area) try to convince us
to buy UCLA season football tickets.  They pump the Raiders, too.  Maybe
over on its side of town, USC (boo! hiss!) gets similar treatment.  Other
than that, we are free from commercials.

As far as previews go, it's rare to see less than three trailers, a minute
or more each, before a film in Westwood.  I like trailers, myself.  They're
practically an art form of their own.  I do groan, however, when they start
advertising a film that isn't going to be out for six or eight months, as
I know I'll be sitting through that trailer 25 or 30 times.
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

zeke@dartvax.UUCP (Edward M. Zebrowski) (08/18/85)

In article <847@voder.UUCP> kev@voder.UUCP (Kevin Hoskins) writes:
>> >.....  One other thing of note is that in the theatres,
>> >they also show a lot of minute-long+ previews.  Is this true elsewhere too?
>>
>> One thing that's started around here is the practice of running COMMERCIALS
>> with the previews!  I mean commercials just like on the small screen!
>>
>> Has this obnoxious practice appeared elsewhere?
>>
>> C Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe  (here is C.P., Md.)
>>

>      Yes Charley, this practice (and it is obnoxious) has spread; to the San
>Francisco bay area. Some dumb jean company (rhymes with Lardash) was the
>featurette.
>
>      (But wait a minute, who was the dumb one here; the jean company
>that made the commercial or the theaters that showed it?)

The practice of running commercials in theaters is also running rampant in my
home state of Connecticut.....it seems to be the trend these days....
Obnoxious?  Definitely!

zeke@dartvax.UUCP

ayers@convexs.UUCP (08/21/85)

/* Written  7:20 pm  Aug 12, 1985 by mangoe@umcp-cs.UUCP in convexs:net.movies */
/* ---------- "Strange Preview Practices" ---------- */
One thing that's started around here is the practice of running COMMERCIALS
with the previews!  I mean commercials just like on the small screen!

Has this obnoxious practice appeared elsewhere?
/* End of text from convexs:net.movies */

Hate to burst your bubble, but this has been common here since (at least)
the '50's.  That's as far back as I remember paying any attention to the
commercials for local establishments.  Now the national ads for "Bud" that
have been appearing here for the last five years is fairly new...

				blues, II

			world's leading exopsychologist
			(If Carl can do it, I can do it)

mathur@alberta.UUCP (Ambrish Mathur) (08/21/85)

>One place the "strange practice" of showing commercials before movies
>shows up is pretty much all of Europe.  I just got back from the UK, and
>I swear that if I ever see Telly flogging Baccardi Rum ever again, I'll
>scream.

	This "strange practice" is extremely popular in India. India
has (believe it!...or not!!) the largest movie industry in the world
(yes, larger than Hollywood too). Over a thousand movies are released
in a year in several languages (Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Bengali,
etc., and an occasional English one too). Since TV is only a decade old
in most of India and is state controlled (making it pretty boring),
movies offer the most popular form of entertainment, and therefore, THE
place to advertize your product. Thirty minutes of commercials, movie
trailers (definitely a hilarious art form in themselves, specially the
Hindi movie ones!), an Indian News Review, family planning documentaries,
etc. is very common in most theatres. Most of this fare (maybe minus the
family planning documentaries) is pretty popular with the audiences and
most people hate to reach late and miss all this stuff. Some of the
commercials are pretty well crafted and you only get to see them at the
movies. This time also allows the crowds (yes, you always have crowds
at movies in India) to trickle in and be ushered to their numbered
seats. Coming from this background, I myself found the absence of
any such "side fare" at theatres here in Canada a little drab.

--
Ambrish Mathur
...ihnp4!alberta!mathur

...Long Live Bombay's Follywood!...