[comp.lang.ada] Ada PIWG

ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) (12/01/89)

From: Steve Vestal, Honeywell

>As I recall, the Performance Improvement Working Group (PIWG) affiliated with
>ACM's SIGAda intended to collect results for their benchmark suite and make
>these publicly accessable.  Does anyone know whether these results are
>conveniently available (e.g., anonymous ftp)?  Inconveniently available?

>An article in the Nov/Dec Ada Letters by Asplund et. al. gives some benchmark
>figures associated with interrupt handling (among other things).  Does anyone
>know if PIWG is thinking of addressing interrupt-related timings in any way?

Just when I get ready to leave off the Ada group for awhile, they toss
me something which nobody could resist.

Normally I wouldn't cross-post this kind of thing, but I feel the people
in the C++ group need to know the scale of the opportunity which is
here.  The idea of being able to standardize on a single programming
language (assuming that language were good enough to standardize on)
would be of enormous benefit even to many mundane organizations such as
Census, where data has always been generated with mainframes and Cobol
and analyzed with Fortran and Fortran related software, and the two
groups can barely talk to eachother.  The U.S. military has a far worse
Tower-of-Babel situation and has attempted to solve it by creating a
Frankenstein language for all purposes.  The literature and every
conversation I have ever had with real-world people who have been forced
to actually attempt to USE Ada have totally convinced me of the failure
of this project.  By the same token, C++ could very nearly, if not
entirely, fill the bill.

PIWG???  I feel the word "working" should be left out of the group's
title;  it doesn't really fit, and it just makes the acronym sound
bucolic.  Kind of like Pappy Parker back in the Ozarks callin the
"hawgs".

     Did you ever wonder why there isn't any such thing as a PIWG associated
     with Pascal, C, or C++?  Why these other languages don't seem to
     REQUIRE a PIWG?

I'll tell you:  it's because these other languages were  D-E-S-I-G-N-E-D
right in the first place.  For this reason, practitioners of C++
programming don't need to spend three years of "designing" around a
language for every three months of coding to solve problems.  They
simply solve the customer's problems.

Ted Holden
HTE

jjs@sei.cmu.edu (Jeffrey Stewart) (12/02/89)

In article <14062@grebyn.com> ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) writes:

>The literature and every conversation I have ever had with real-world
>people who have been forced to actually attempt to USE Ada have totally
>convinced me of the failure of this project.  By the same token, C++
>could very nearly, if not entirely, fill the bill.

Well Ted, I guess you never talked to me or the group I worked with at
Hercules Defense Electronics.

We have just finished a project to implement all of the control software
plus some signal-processing software, in Ada, for a Millimeter-Wave radar
seeker for the Maverick missile.

Its about 7500 lines of code, based on an object-oriented design, does
signal-processing, provides dual-loop control for the antenna, provides
mission control for the entire missile, plus some other things.  And it
does it at 600Hz, on a 10MHz 80286.  There is NO ASSEMBLER.  The goal
was a complete Ada artifact, and the goal was achieved.

We wanted a complete Ada artifact because part of the goal was for the
implementation to be as portable as possible.  We achieved this, in part,
by rewriting some of the system requirements to be event, rather than timing,
driven.  There was zero loss of functionality and performance due to these
changed requirements.

We had NO problems with the language.  We did have one problem with the
compiler generating incorrect code for a representation clause, but this was
a compiler implementation problem which was easily fixed by the vendor.

Projects that DO have a problem with Ada tend to fall into the following
categories :

     The classic "10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bag" problem.  You won't
     solve this with C either.  Many times, the requirements stack the deck
     against you.  Period.

     Less than production-quality compilers.  I'll admit this was a problem,
     and is less so every day.

     Whiners who will use every excuse to blame the language rather than the
     design.  The two ARE different, design and implementation, don'cha know?
     Many of these projects fail due to poor design, regardless of
     implementation language.

I refuse to assign percentages to these categories.  Let that be an exercise
for the reader.

By the way Ted, part of the rationale for Ada was that the techniques and
languages in current use (mid 70's) would be inadequate for the million-plus
SLOC systems anticipated for the 90's.  What are the successful C-language
projects of this size?

I like Ada not because it is Ada, but because, in my estimation, it allows
the best use to-date of all the software engineering principles I know and
have seen used effectively.  Most C code still looks like line-noise to me.

To sum up, Ada DOES work, for its intended purposes.  Maybe you should
consider becoming an equal opportunity basher, i.e., cite some C/C++
failures as well.  (And don't tell me there aren't any.  Your use of
absolute terms is part of what detracts from your credibility.)

Jeff

trichard@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Terri Richard) (12/02/89)

In article <14062@grebyn.com> ted@grebyn.com (Ted Holden) writes:
>Just when I get ready to leave off the Ada group for awhile, they toss
>me something which nobody could resist.

Please try to resist anyway.

>PIWG???  I feel the word "working" should be left out of the group's
>title;  it doesn't really fit, and it just makes the acronym sound
>bucolic.  Kind of like Pappy Parker back in the Ozarks callin the
>"hawgs".

I think most people who read this conference are really tired of hearing
this.  If you love C++, great.  Just don't hassle productive conversations
on THIS conference.  I for one am extremely tired of hearing it.
-=-
Terri Richard       | We do not guarantee the suitability of this software for
Cptr/Inf. Science   | any purpose whatsoever.  In fact, we can't think of any
The Ohio State Univ.| use for it at all.  -- trichard@cis.ohio-state.edu

rracine@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Roger Racine) (12/02/89)

The PIWG (Performance Issues Working Group) has a very useful set of
tests for benchmarking Ada compilers.  Ted Holden, you are wasting an
awful lot of time and money sending these misstatements around the
country.  You do not have to like Ada.  You may have to use it if you
do work on new DoD projects.  But what purpose does it serve to answer
a request for information on a serious subject with a lot of rhetoric
without any facts to back up your statements?

Back to the PIWG.  To attempt to compare compilers, operating systems,
databases, and other software systems, people have been creating
benchmarks for years (Whetstones, Dhrystones, etc.), no matter what
Ted Holden says.  Byte Magazine has a set of tests for comparing
computer systems.  PIWG created a set for testing Ada compilers and
runtime environments.

It is not easy to create standard tests for interrupts u knows
the hardware.  So the last time I used the PIWG, it did not support
testing that.  However, they have been working on it, and it could be
available.

The correct person to contact is Dan Roy (301) 464-6800.  He chairs the
working group.

Roger Racine