[comp.lang.ada] Book describing Ada as a language

oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) (12/02/89)

A friend asked me for a 'book describing ADA as a language.' I
could only think of thing like the LRM or Broach (sp?) _Software
Engineering in ADA_ which don't fit the bill. Is there a book
which teaches one to program in the language as opposed to
expounds upon the wonder of ADA in the xyz applications?

Please e-mail and I will summarize.

brian
oplinger@crd.ge.com

<#include standard.disclaimer>

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger X2502) (12/02/89)

In article <4072@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> oplinger@crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) writes:
>A friend asked me for a 'book describing ADA as a language.' I
>could only think of thing like the LRM or Broach (sp?) _Software
>Engineering in ADA_ which don't fit the bill. Is there a book
>which teaches one to program in the language as opposed to
>expounds upon the wonder of ADA in the xyz applications?
>
>Please e-mail and I will summarize.
>
>brian

Brian -

Email to you bounced on this end so I'm posting my reply instead.

I would disagree with you that the Ada Language Reference Manual doesn't
describe the language, however, here are a few references in addition to the
ALRM and Grady Booch's book:

Ada from the Beginning, by Jan Skansholm, Addison-Wesley, 1988.

Programming in Ada, Third Edition, by J. G. P. Barnes, Addison-Wesley, 1989.

Ada: An Advanced Introduction, by Narain Gehani, Prentice Hall, 1989.

Understanding Ada: A Software Engineering Approach, by Gary Bray and
	David Pokrass, John Wiley and Sons, 1985.

Skansholm is an introductory text, usuable by students without prior
programming experience, the others are more advanced.  Gehani's book includes
a diskette with the source code for examples used in the book.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil
Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil

AMXMC-SEL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Mark Oestmann) (12/13/89)

Brian,
I also had problems mailing to the address you had listed.
Tell your friend to take a look at:
     "Ada as a second language" by Norman Cohen
      McGraw-Hill, 1986

Mark Oestmann
School of Engineering and Logistics
Red River Army Depot