[comp.lang.ada] pro Ada argument?

horst@pcsbst.UUCP (horst) (12/04/89)

The recent discussion initiated by Ted Holdon's article surprised me
a bit. Nobody answered the argument that I thought would be THE one
in favor of Ada:

  It's not the programmers that decide which language to use in the future

In the European Market we expect to have laws in 1992 that resemble the
American Laws of Product Responsibility. As far as I know, those can make
an implementor responsible for any consequences of using an implementation
language which is not considered the best choice. And there are strong
signals that Ada will be the default 'best choice' for lawyers. Is this
not true for the US?

Regards
 Horst     hk@pcs.com

forsyth@minster.york.ac.uk (12/14/89)

>From horst@pcsbst.UUCP (horst)
>... Nobody answered the argument that I thought would be THE one
>in favor of Ada:

>  It's not the programmers that decide which language to use in the future

>In the European Market we expect to have laws in 1992 that resemble the
>American Laws of Product Responsibility. As far as I know, those can make
>an implementor responsible for any consequences of using an implementation
>language which is not considered the best choice. And there are strong
>signals that Ada will be the default 'best choice' for lawyers. Is this
>not true for the US?

Horst Kern reports a novel approach to software engineering: let the
lawyers do it.  What a good way of settling technical arguments!  (See
Jacques Ellul's `The Technological Society' [La Technique] for some interesting
consequences of similar ideas.)  Still, I suppose it was no more than
computer scientists deserved for having the temerity to write `expert systems' in Prolog
to analyse the British Nationality Act (1981).  I take it that EEC
legislators will suffer similar penalties if they produce poor `products'
of their own?  Stoppage of claret, perhaps?

Mind you, a good QC with some help (technical advice and an annotated copy
of all those AI-123 notes) should have lots of fun with Ichbiah in the witness box.
Perhaps we should book Leo McKern now?

horst@pcsbst.UUCP (horst) (12/23/89)

In article <629649952.9223@minster.york.ac.uk> forsyth@minster.york.ac.uk writes:

>  Horst Kern reports a novel approach to software engineering: let the
>  lawyers do it.  What a good way of settling technical arguments!  (See

Okay, I can see the  problem:  Even  though  everyone  was  called  to
participate  in  the  Ada effort, some people - like Edsgar Dijkstra -
have given their reasons for repelling all  three  language  proposals
and  are  now hoping that the Russians will use Ada too. (He made this
statement 6 years ago so it is perhaps not up to date any more.)

The current discussion makes it evident that the laws (again this word
which  is  so much disliked) of nature have not yet been discovered in
computer science. So I think it is a good discussion and nobody should
tell Ted Holdon to shut up.

Best regards,
 Horst