[comp.lang.ada] Ada, 1992, and Product Responsibility

billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (William Thomas Wolfe, 2847 ) (12/10/89)

From horst@pcsbst.UUCP (horst):
> In the European Market we expect to have laws in 1992 that resemble the
> American Laws of Product Responsibility. As far as I know, those can make
> an implementor responsible for any consequences of using an implementation
> language which is not considered the best choice. And there are strong
> signals that Ada will be the default 'best choice' for lawyers. Is this
> not true for the US?

   The US is going to be behind Europe in many ways once the European
   integration process has completed; the standardization of product
   regulations in Europe will be considerably greater than that which
   exists in the US, for example -- here there are still many different
   regulation systems which vary from state to state (example: insurance),
   and there is no real effort underway to eliminate all the inconsistencies.

   It will probably take a decade or so for the US to catch up, both in
   terms of using Ada and in terms of standardizing its marketplace.  As
   for the product responsibility, I don't think the US lawyers have yet
   discovered this particular approach to demonstrating negligence.

   (Cross-posted to misc.legal for further discussion)

   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

xanthian@saturn.ADS.COM (Metafont Consultant Account) (12/30/89)

In article <7390@hubcap.clemson.edu> billwolf%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu writes:
>From horst@pcsbst.UUCP (horst):
>> In the European Market we expect to have laws in 1992 that resemble the
>> American Laws of Product Responsibility. As far as I know, those can make
>> an implementor responsible for any consequences of using an implementation
>> language which is not considered the best choice. And there are strong
>> signals that Ada will be the default 'best choice' for lawyers. Is this
>> not true for the US?
>
>   The US is going to be behind Europe in many ways once the European
>   integration process has completed; the standardization of product
>   regulations in Europe will be considerably greater than that which
>   exists in the US, for example -- here there are still many different
>   regulation systems which vary from state to state (example: insurance),
>   and there is no real effort underway to eliminate all the inconsistencies.
>
>   It will probably take a decade or so for the US to catch up, both in
>   terms of using Ada and in terms of standardizing its marketplace.  As
>   for the product responsibility, I don't think the US lawyers have yet
>   discovered this particular approach to demonstrating negligence.
>
>   (Cross-posted to misc.legal for further discussion)
>

>   Bill Wolfe, wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu

Granted that Ada is a marvelous language in its narrowly defined area
of competence, I think any defense lawyer would have a field day
poking holes in a language that has been frozen by a military
bureaucracy; that ignores best current practice (full fledged OOP);
whose semantics is so ill defined that most programmer users avoid
most of the language most of the time, and most employers put lots of
language features off limits; the implementation of one of whose main
goals (concurrent programming support for embedded multiprocessor
systems) is held up as a horrid example in language theory classes;
whose syntax ignored established usage in favor of cuteness or
uniqueness (read opaqueness); whose behavior is completely
counter-intuitive, and on and on and on.

And I _liked_ my chance to program fancy graph theory algorithms in
Ada generics.  Ada just has no business being pointed to as a standard
of language excellence.  It is too big, too awkward, shows its seams
too prominently, and is _much_ too hard to teach, to learn, and to
use.  The "Dear Ada" column in Ada Letters is always an occassion for
laughter and tears, but never for that warm feeling of satisfaction at
seeing a job well done.

Maybe if the Ada 0x committee develops a bit of gumption, Ada could
be made useful without pain at some future date, but for now...nah.

My opinions only, of course.  Don't blame the folks who furnish the
account.

xanthian@well.sf.ca.us
Kent, the (bionic) man from xanth, now available
as a build-a-xanthian kit at better toy stores.