[comp.lang.ada] AdaSAGE

samuels@chance.uucp (Michael Samuels) (02/06/90)

I recently attended a discussion of AdaSAGE, a non-relational
DBMS written in Ada that provides non-SQL query capabilities.
The product is touted as an alternative to the Ada/SQL binding
problem.  Does anyone have any experiences using the tool?  Any
detailed descriptions of what it really does?  It is not clear
to me why I should give up the features of commercial DBMS
packages just because no standard Ada/SQL binding exists.  Any
comments?

I will post a summary to the net if there are enough responses.
Thanks for you help.

Michael Samuels 			The MITRE Corporation
samuels@community-chest.mitre.org	Mailstop Z676
(703) 883-7828 				7525 Colshire Drive
FAX: (703) 883-5519			McLean, VA 22102

taft@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Tucker Taft) (02/08/90)

In article <94342@linus.UUCP>, samuels@chance.uucp (Michael Samuels) writes:
>. . . just because no standard Ada/SQL binding exists.  Any
> comments?

An ANSI standard Ada/SQL binding does exist, using the
SQL Module language.  Furthermore, Marc Graham at the SEI
(marc@sei.cmu.edu) is in the process of defining
a more user/Ada friendly standard Ada/SQL binding
with full approval of AJPO, and hopefully ultimate
international standardization.  This binding is called
"SAME" (SQL/Ada Module Extensions).

S. Tucker Taft
Intermetrics, Inc.
Cambridge, MA  02138   stt%inmet@uunet.uu.net  taft@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu