[comp.lang.ada] ORACLE/Pro*Ada Vaporware

herczeg@teecs.UUCP (Gabor Herczeg) (02/13/90)

Can someone help us find a replacement for Pro*Ada (TM) for ORACLE (R)
for a Sun SparcStation 1GX running SunOS 4.0.3?

We've been waiting since Aug 1989 for this product to be released from
ORACLE and the end date (according our ORACLE rep) just keeps slipping.
Although advertised as an existing product, it seems to be available
only for VAX/VMS and not for any of the Unix platforms ORACLE supports.
ORACLE spokespeople have reported variously that it's a problem with all
RISC machines (say again?), that it's a problem with the Verdix Ada
compiler (even though our documentation for the ORACLE Sun product
clearly states that we must use the Telesoft Ada compiler), that they
don't know what the problem is, or other such excuses. We've spent a lot
of time and money (including hundreds of dollars just in long distance
charges) just to keep up with the next slipping date when someone would
tell us when he thought he might know what the problem is so that they
could guess when how long the development might take to come up with a
new alpha release of the last fixes on the last beta which was supposed
to be shipped ... etc... etc... Remember, this is supposed to be
released software and not vaporware!

Anyways, we have been backed into a position by ORACLE where
we have to consider alternatives to ORACLE. We need an RDBMS with an SQL
interface, and possessing an ADA programmatic interface, suitable for
our Sun platform. Does anyone in netland know of an
alternative?

-------------

Gabor Herczeg				Phone: (416) 246-5162
Advanced Systems Department		Fax: (416) 246-5168
LITTON SYSTEMS CANADA LIMITED		UUNET: herczeg@teecs.UUCP
25 City View Drive
Etobicoke, Ontario
CANADA M9W 5A7
:wq
[A[C[D~.
~wq

rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) (02/15/90)

In article <1260003@teecs.UUCP>, herczeg@teecs.UUCP (Gabor Herczeg) writes:
> :
> :
> Anyways, we have been backed into a position by ORACLE where
> we have to consider alternatives to ORACLE. We need an RDBMS with an SQL
> interface, and possessing an ADA programmatic interface, suitable for
> our Sun platform. Does anyone in netland know of an
> alternative?

We use the INGRES rdbms, running on our VAX/Ultrix 8650s & VAXstations.
It seems to run especially well under Unix. I believe it has an Ada/SQL
binding & a Sun version.  INGRES is a product of Relational Technology
Inc.
	Rick Carle