[comp.lang.ada] wanted: PD Ada Interpreter written in C

icsu8209@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Glassy) (02/27/90)

Do any validated Ada interpreters written in C exist?   Any PD ones obtainable
from an anon. ftp site?

As a CS u/g wading through the usual stream of data structures/algorithms
courses, I wince at having to try to emulate 'abstract' (generic!) data
types in ISO Pascal.  As an experiment last quarter, I wrote one of my
assignments in Ada ( a PD version for PC's, JANUS-Ada ), and while the
performance of this specific implementation did not impress me
(compilation speed of ~140 lines/min., on a 12-Mhz 80286 w/ 80287 &
1 meg RAM, 30 Meg 28-ms hard disk), Ada's facilities for structuring
data in a simple and digestible way, did.

Why PD from ftp site?  Answer:  look at DEC's software prices!
Why in C?  Ans:  to be able to port to any of the local Unix/VMS platforms.
Why interpreted?  well, a compiled version -would- be preferable,
but I suspect people would be more comfortable giving an interpreter
away.  and the GNU people seem to want nothing to do with Ada...

Any pointers would be dearly appreciated.  Please e-mail responses;
I'll post summary to net if I'm swamped with replies... :)

Thanks in advance,

Lou Glassy
icsu8209@caesar.cs.montana.edu
(Bitnet:  icsu8209@mtsunix1)

p.s. if this is not the right group to ask things like this in, i'll
gladly follow any good advice that comes my way.

(std-discl apply etc)

westley@aardvark.uucp (Terry J. Westley) (02/28/90)

In article <3447@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu8209@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Glassy) writes:
>Do any validated Ada interpreters written in C exist?   Any PD ones obtainable
>from an anon. ftp site?
>assignments in Ada ( a PD version for PC's, JANUS-Ada ), and while the

I doubt if RR Software is too pleased about JANUS Ada being identified
as public domain software.  Or, is there a PD version that I don't know about?

Anyway, their "C" pack includes a validated compiler in which you could
do all the data structuring you'd like.  Last I checked it was ~ $130.

Disclaimer:  I have no interest in RR software other than having
purchased and used the "C" pack and wish there were a version on the Mac.

If you find such a PD interpreter, please post.

Terry J. Westley
Arvin/Calspan Advanced Technology Center
P.O. Box 400, Buffalo, NY 14225
acsu.buffalo.edu!planck!westley@hercules

icsu8209@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Glassy) (02/28/90)

My apologies to the RR crew.  I was laboring under the (false)
impression that JANUS was PD.  To persist with my original
objective, if a PD Ada does not exist (and apparently it doesn't),
can anyone recommend (no blasphemy intended) -another-
imperative, procedural language which -does- support abstract
data types?

By 'abstract data types' I mean types whose gory implementation-details
can be separated from their external behavior.  The moth-eaten example
that comes to mind is SWAP(A,B)...which will swap any two objects
A and B, provided type(A)=type(B).

Open to suggestions,

Lou Glassy
icsu8209@caesar.cs.montana.edu