[net.movies] How to communicate attitudes

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (08/14/85)

In article <1039@mtgzz.UUCP> leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) writes:

>>[...from a review of Mark Leeper's review of WEIRD SCIENCE..]
>>When the boys programmed the computer to create her, they fed in
>>pictures of Albert Einstein for her intelligence component, and
>>pictures of David Lee Roth for her personality traits, in addition to
>>many Playboy centerfolds for her physical characteristics.  This makes
>>it obvious how she can manipulate peoples minds, of course!
>
>Huh?  Are you telling me that all of Einstein's knowledge was printed
>somewhere on his face?  There is more to being a genius than knowing
>what Einstein looked like!
>				Mark Leeper

    We really have to have some way to communicate sarcasm without
a smiley face. Clearly the review of the review was a "Gosh! really?"
type observation on the film's rather obvious "misrepresentations
of reality". In "Valentina: Soul in Sapphire" by Delaney and
Steigler (pico-review: large program becomes sentient) they used
the convention of giving facial expressions in angle brackets.
Using this convention the last sentence of the comment might be
rendered as:

    "<sardonic smile, light laugh> This makes it obvious how she
can manipulate people's minds, of course!"

	While this is a bit clumsy to read at first, familiarity
breeds contentment <raised eyebrow, smirk>. I strongly recommend
that we adopt the convention (at least until something better
comes along <light laugh>).
	greg.
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
gjerawlins%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/18/85)

>     "<sardonic smile, light laugh> This makes it obvious how she
> can manipulate people's minds, of course!"
>
> 	While this is a bit clumsy to read at first, familiarity
> breeds contentment <raised eyebrow, smirk>. I strongly recommend
> that we adopt the convention (at least until something better
> comes along <light laugh>).
> 	greg.

Well some peope in the real world <grin> have been using this technique
for a long time <smug expression>. I believe the author got the idea from
Compuserve <forced smile>. It's not a bad book, by the way. The only really dumb
mistake the author makes to aid the plot is neglect his construct's tape
backups <grin>.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

royt@gitpyr.UUCP (Roy M. Turner) (08/27/85)

I heartily agree with the suggestion to use facial expressions between angle
brackets as an alternative to the smiley face.  Several of my friends and
I have been doing that in mail to each other since reading _Valentina..._,
and it seems pretty natural by now...besides, it is far more versatile than
the li'l :-) symbol.

Now that I look back at this posting, though I realize I haven't had call
to use the representation once <wry smile>.

Roy
--
The above opinions aren't necessarily those of etc, etc...but they
should be!!

Roy Turner
(a transplanted Kentucky hillbilly)
School of Information and Computer Science
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!royt