[net.movies] Pee Wee's Big Adventure

asente@Cascade.ARPA (08/21/85)

This is a truly charming movie.  I saw it this evening and have to
agree wholeheartedly with all the other good things various people on
the net have said about it.  I must admit that not everyone in my group
shared my feelings; out of 7 of us 2 loved it, 2 were lukewarm, and 3
disliked it.  I found Pee Wee's inital persona rather grating, but as
the movie went on he became far more sympathetic.  While I don't
remember laughing a whole lot, I smiled almost continually and
continued to do so for quite a while after I left the theater.

The movie is both very stupid and very funny.

I loved Pee Wee's house; has anyone else out there long harbored a
secret desire to live in a house like that?  (Actually, anyone who's
seen my office is at least partially in on the secret)

Some *very* mild spoilers follow.

Pee Wee obviously was supposed to live in San Francisco.  Did anyone
recognise the shopping mall at the beginning?

Both the driver of the convertible and the child movie star character
looked very familiar.  What else have they been in?

I caught two references to Spielburg movies--the bicycle against the
sky from ET and the "They're here" from Poltergeist (changed to "I'm
here" here, when we first see Pee Wee's bicycle).  The automatic dog
feeder doesn't count -- or does it?  Did anyone catch any others?  Am I
reading too much into these?  I don't think so--the Poltergeist
reference seemed too direct (even though the words and situation were
different!) to be an accident.

	-paul asente
	    asente@Cascade.ARPA		decwrl!Glacier!Cascade!asente

"Here--I'll prove it to you--listen:  The stars at night are big and
	bright..."

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP  "DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!"

kevin@ISM780B.UUCP (08/23/85)

>Pee Wee obviously was supposed to live in San Francisco.  Did anyone
>recognise the shopping mall at the beginning?

  I can't think of anything in the picture that indicates what city Pew
Wee lives in.  I think where he lived has little relevance to the film.
However, if they were showing us where he lived by the location of the
mall, Pee Wee lives in Santa Monica, CA. The mall that Pee Wee goes to is
without a doubt the old Santa Monica Mall.  I spent to many lunch hours
there not to recognize it.

  Personally, I think Pee Wee lives in the hearts of all us who suffered
arrested development in adolescence.  What? You think I'm immature.  I know
you are but what am I?

kmo@ptsfa.UUCP (ken olsen) (08/28/85)

>>Pee Wee obviously was supposed to live in San Francisco.  Did anyone
>>recognise the shopping mall at the beginning?

>  I can't think of anything in the picture that indicates what city Pew
>Wee lives in.  I think where he lived has little relevance to the film.
>However, if they were showing us where he lived by the location of the
>mall, Pee Wee lives in Santa Monica, CA. The mall that Pee Wee goes to is
>without a doubt the old Santa Monica Mall.  I spent to many lunch hours
>there not to recognize it.

I didn't recognize the mall, but the map on the wall of the
basement behind Pee Wee is, without a doubt, San Francisco.

------------
| gait kpr |     { dual, ihnp4, qantel }!ptsfa!kmo
------------
"Actually I'm a gynecologist, but this is my lunch hour."

apt@inmet.UUCP (08/28/85)

Four claps.

APT

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/28/85)

In article <968@Cascade.ARPA> asente@Cascade.ARPA writes:
>Pee Wee obviously was supposed to live in San Francisco.  Did anyone
>recognise the shopping mall at the beginning?

No, Pee Wee lives in LA (where else?)  The mall is the Santa Monica Shopping
Mall, which was created by essentially blocking off a street.
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU