[comp.lang.ada] Storage manager monitoring

Tuya@etsiig.uniovi.es (Javier Tuya Gonzalez) (05/31/90)

In article <24559@mimsy.umd.edu> , stuartw@mimsy.umd.edu writes:

>I'm developing a system that requires a lot of dynamic storage manipulation.
>For the first go, I'm keeping it simple by just using a generic package
>that keeps a list of freed objects and allocates from that list or uses
>NEW if the free list is empty (i.e. Booch's Storage_Manager_Sequential).

>Since I'm in the prototype stage, I'd like to keep some statistics on how
>big the free list gets, how many total allocations occured, etc.  My problem
>is how to report this information when the application exits.

I have a suggestion:

You can create a separate task monitoring all actions of the storage manager
package. This task waits for rendez-vous with storage manager and recieves
a message for each memory allocation/deallocation action. Also, this
task can retain theese statistics or flush them into a file.

In the definitive releaso of product y can easily eliminate all
references to monitoring task.

Javier Tuya Gonzalez