[comp.lang.ada] cpu time VS. calendar time

thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Thompson) (07/31/90)

We are trying to find out how much cpu time a procedure or function call
takes.  We've found the calendar package with function clock.  Is there an
equivilant which will give me cpu time?  TIA.

Todd Thompson

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (07/31/90)

In article <84027@srcsip.UUCP> thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Thompson) writes:

>We are trying to find out how much cpu time a procedure or function call
>takes.  We've found the calendar package with function clock.  Is there an
>equivilant which will give me cpu time?  TIA.
The LRM does not call out a standard package for retrieving CPU time.
Retrieving CPU time is therefore system dependent, and is probably best
done through the use of pragma interface. I have written a package with a
portable specification that gives simple CPU times.
I have Unix and PC versions; the Unix version uses pragma interface and
a little C program to get the CPU time. I can send this to anyone who
wishes it; let me know by e-mail. If there is a lot of interest, I will
post it.
Prof. Michael Feldman
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052