[comp.lang.ada] Ada Bindings

schallen@dinl.uucp (Eric Schallenmueller) (08/30/90)

Hey Non-hackers,

I'm looking for information about Ada bindings for such things as X-Windows,
Motif, PHIGs, PEX, POSIX, SQL and maybe some other miscellaneous items such as
OSI-type communications software.  I also need to know if the software is
something that gets precompiled or calls external modules that have been pre-
compiled for a specific platform.  What platform am I using?  None.  But we hopeto have more platforms than you can shake the LRM at.

I just read an article about a system that NASA is building which works with X-
windows that helps one build a GUI.  The user puts together his GUI and the
tool spits out the Ada source code for it that makes the necessary calls to
their C++ utilities.  Anyone got further info on it?  I think the name of the
system is TAE and is trademarked by NASA.  (I heard about it from a colleague
who had a fax of a photocopy of a photocopy from a journal etc.)

Thanx,

Eric Schallenmuller                            Martin Marietta ISG
P.O. Box 1260                                  (303) 971-7936
Denver, CO 80201-1260                          (303) 971-7227 (fax)

EYRING@cc.utah.edu (08/31/90)

-> I'm looking for information about Ada bindings for such things as
-> X-Windows, Motif, PHIGs, PEX, POSIX, SQL and maybe some other
-> miscellaneous items ...

In comp.windows.x there are a few references that are updated monthly.
Here is a reprint of the Ada bindings stuff...

--------------
Subject: 49)* Where can I obtain alternate language bindings to X?

	Ada bindings were written by Mark Nelson and Stephen Hyland at SAIC
for the DOD. The bindings can be found on hapo.sei.cmu.edu or on
wsmr-simtel20.army.mil and are also in the Ada Software Repository (ASR).
R3 bindings should be available by the end of 1/90. [1/90]

	GHG is developing X bindings and a complete Ada re-implementation
of X; check Lionel Hanley at 713-488-8806. [4/90]

	Ada bindings to Motif, explicitly, will eventually be made available by
the Jet Propulsion Laboratories, probably through the normal electronic
means.  Advance information can be obtained from dsouleles@dsfvax.jpl.nasa.gov,
who may respond as time permits.
--------------

Ada bindings and other (NO COST) sources can be obtained from STARS.
Stars Foundations Products Order Forms can be obtained from
Naval Research Laboratory
Attn: Code 5150, L. Maddox
Washington, DC 20375-5000

I talked with Mark Nelson recently and he said that around mid Sept. 90
the X11R4 work will be completed and plans to do bindings for Motif and
OpenLook.

dgg@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (David Gawron) (09/05/90)

In article <1722@dinl.mmc.UUCP>
schallen@dinl.uucp (Eric Schallenmueller) writes:

>I just read an article about a system that NASA is building which works with X-
>windows that helps one build a GUI.  The user puts together his GUI and the
>tool spits out the Ada source code for it that makes the necessary calls to
>their C++ utilities.  Anyone got further info on it?  I think the name of the
>system is TAE and is trademarked by NASA.  (I heard about it from a colleague
>who had a fax of a photocopy of a photocopy from a journal etc.)

The name of the tool is TAE (Transportable Applications Environment)
and it's available from COSMIC for approximately $250.  It comes in two
flavors: TAE-plus and TAE-classic; the "plus" version is the latest and
greatest.

Some of the supported platforms are:

	VAX/VMS					(classic & plus)
	VAX/ULTRIX				(classic & plus)
	DECStation 3100 (ULTRIX)		(plus)
	SUN2/Unix				(classic)
	SUN3/Unix				(classic & plus)
	SUN4/Unix				(classic & plus)
	Apollo/Unix				(classic & plus)
	HP9000 Series 300 (UNIX)		(plus)
	HP9000 Series 800 (UNIX)		(plus)
	Mac II (A/UX)				(plus)
	Sparc Station (UNIX)			(plus)

Note: the platforms above have "validated" ports of TAE available.  There
are a bunch more platforms (IBM/RT, Masscomp, Silicon Graphics, ...) that
have TAE available but they are not "validated" ports.  I don't know what
it means to be validated but I assume it's a good thing!

The Ada code TAE produces is not pure.  For example, the code generated
under the SUN3 version is specifically geared towards the SUN/Verdix
compiler.  On VMS it produces DEC Ada code.  Ada is Ada you say?  Silly
boy!

The look and feel seems to be very consistent between platforms.  I am
currently working with TAE and DEC Ada on a VMS system.

Email me if you want additional info.

Dave Gawron