[comp.lang.ada] Ada on IBM mainframes

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (09/25/90)

In article <12790@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:

>P.S. There's a third "quite decent" Ada for IBM mainframes, from Intermetrics.
>	 I don't know if it is actually a product or not. I used to work
>	 on it, so I can hardly provide an unbiased assessment. :-)

This compiler existed at one time; perhaps it still does. However, I cannot
find a reference to it in the June 1990 list of validated compilers, and that
list shows only IBM (via TeleSoft) and Alsys supporting IBM mainframes. I
guess Intermetrics let its validation lapse or something. Is that system
still being maintained? Anyone out there know?

Prof. Michael Feldman
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052
202-994-5253
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu

ryer@inmet.inmet.com (09/26/90)

Intermetrics chose not to validate our IBM MVS compiler on the 1.10 suite,
due to cost vs. benefit.  We are currently working on 1.11 and will re-
validate the compiler this winter.  Meanwhile, we are still selling the
compiler (which does correctly handle the 1.10 suite, certificate or
not), and our customers have not seemed to have a problem with it.

The compiler is very "MVSy", with interfaces to CICS, many form-string
options, EBCDIC<->ASCII translation wherever required, etc.

Mike Ryer
Intermetrics, Inc.