[comp.lang.ada] Administriva -- INFO-ADA and comp.lang.ada

ecragg@GMUVAX.GMU.EDU ("EDWARD CRAGG") (10/04/90)

> Subject: INFO-ADA Digest V90 #179
> I'm wondering why this INFO-ADA digest was posted, since I think all
> comp.lang.ada and INFO-ADA messages get cross-posted anyway. Posting the
> digests from the other side of the net world is redundant, isn't it?
> Mike Feldman

I was going to write directly back to Mike on this one, but then I
decided that there might be general interest in a brief synopsis as to
how INFO-ADA and comp.lang.ada inter-connect, and what happened with
respect to v90n179.

On the USENEWS side: following the normal anarchical flow, all
messages posted to comp.lang.ada (using Pnews or equivalent) work
their way to ucbvax.berkley.edu at which point, ucbvax mails the
posting to info-ada@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.  I will discuss later
what happens there.

On INFO-ADA side:  all messages to info-ada@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu are
automatically forwarded to info-ada@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.  Copies of
these messages (plus any messages sent directly from places other than
ucbvax) are automatically forwarded to comp-lang-ada@ucbvax.berkley.edu
at which point they are posted to comp.lang.ada.  (For those who are
interested, this is a generic method of posting to unmoderated USENEWS
groups from the INTERNET -- simply replace comp-lang-ada by the
appropriate news group, replacing the '.'s by '-'s)

Now, as far as the Digest goes:  The messages (whether sent directly
or received via ucbvax) are queued at simtel20.  When the queue gets
large enough, they are digested and sent out to the INFO-ADA mailing
list.  This mailing list includes several addresses which then furthur
distribute INFO-ADA, either to local distribution lists, or to other
networks such as BITNET.  Everything is automatic, and unless something
goes wrong I do not see any of the digest messages until the completed
digest arrives. (the very first copy mailed out goes to me at ajpo, a
subsequent "normal addressee" copy eventually arrives at gmuvax.)
When errors happen, I either fix them or ask Frank Wancho at simtel20
to fix it.

As far as V90#179 went, it actually bombed on it's initial distribution
(thats why info-ada recepients got #180 first).  It was re-queued and
redistributed normally and I have no reason to believe that this had
anything to do with the dual posting.  What appears to have happened
is that one recepient of the digest redistributed it locally, and
forgot to edit out INFO-ADA from the address line, which set it back
to simtel20.  While those of you on comp.lang.ada then got a copy of
the whole digest, those of us on INFO-ADA got a digest which included
another digest.  It appears to be an isolated accident and I am not
taking any action.

To complete the INFO-ADA discussion, any messages mailed to
info-ada-request, whether at simtel20 or at ajpo, eventually make
their way to me, and I try to process them within a day or two,
although things tend to get a bit behind at the start of the semester
and again during final exams.  I also manually maintain the digest
archives at ajpo, usually updating the archives there every 20-30
digests or so.  I have the current semesters digests here at gmuvax
for the use of my students, and I roll those off to PC floppies in 6
month increments.

This is a bit longer than I intended, but I hope it answered your
question Mike.

ed
Edward E Cragg                Bitnet:   ECRAGG@GMUVAX
                              Internet: ECRAGG@GMUVAX.GMU.EDU