[comp.lang.ada] Library implementation, was file name conventions

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (10/08/90)

Bob Munck, munck@STARS.RESTON.UNISYS.COM, writes:
>The real right answer is that of modern PSE data repositories such as
>CAIS-A, PCTE+, and ATIS, the strongly-typed Entity-Relationship-Attribute
>data structure.  Ada source code, if that's what your system uses, should
>be contained in an object of type AdaSource, with CompiledInto relationships
>to objects of type AdaLibrary.  Better, of course, would be what TeleSoft
>is said to be doing on PCTE+, implementing the library as an ERA structure.
>Then all the tools that need to operate on data found in the library - editors,
>compilers, analyzers, linkers, etc - can "see" the entities and relationships
>in the library.

Ah, yes. The Intermetrics "AIE" (Ada Integrated Environment). The program
library was built on a subset of the "old" CAIS, with the idea that it
could easily be ported to a "real" CAIS implementation when one was available.
You could easily traverse the library and find all sorts of good dependency
information, etc. Definitely slick stuff. I have yet to find a compiler
(well, maybe Rational) that provide the find of flexibilty and control over
the library that the Intermetrics compiler does. There was/is also an
interface package to allow one to cruise around in the diana. This is
NOT new technology, folks.

There was just one little problem: performance was, uh, not the best, at least
not until some serious hacking was done on the "subset CAIS." I can't WAIT to
see how a compiler built on CAIS-A performs. But then again, we have to do
_something_ with all the MIPS on those shiny new workstations...

-- Jerry "I like Ada, but I'm not convinced about CAIS-A" Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

CLAIMER: I used to work on the Intermetrics compiler.