[comp.lang.ada] MIL-HDBK-1804

oneil@bdmrrr.bdm.com (James William O'Neil) (09/25/89)

(Apologies if this is a repeat; I think I bungled the first posting attempt)

Last week someone posted an article (about formatting Ada programs, I think)
in which MIL-HDBK-1804 dealing with Ada coding style was referenced.  I have
been unable to locate a document with that number, but I was just skimming
over the articles at the time and may have transcribed the document number
incorrectly.  I'd be most grateful if the poster of that article or any one
else familiar with this document would send me a quick e-mail message pointing
me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim O'Neil
oneil@bdmrrr.bdm.com
jwo@cs.duke.edu

||              Those who can, do; those who can't, simulate.                 ||

eaker@sunbelt.crd.ge.com (Charles E Eaker) (09/26/89)

In article <1989Sep25.140228.29919@bdmrrr.bdm.com> oneil@bdmrrr.bdm.com (James William O'Neil) writes:
>Last week someone posted an article (about formatting Ada programs, I think)
>in which MIL-HDBK-1804 dealing with Ada coding style was referenced.  I have
>been unable to locate a document with that number, but I was just skimming
>over the articles at the time and may have transcribed the document number
>incorrectly.  I'd be most grateful if the poster of that article or any one
>else familiar with this document would send me a quick e-mail message pointing
>me in the right direction.

I would appreciate the same information.

Chuck Eaker                                |  eaker@sungod.crd.ge.com
Software Engineering Program               |  eaker@crdgw1.crd.ge.com
GE Corporate Research & Development Center |  eaker@crdgw1.UUCP
P.O. Box 8, K-1 3C12 Schenectady, NY 12301 |  518 387-5964

RCONN@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Rick Conn) (09/27/89)

Jim, MIL-HDBK-1804 does not exist yet officially.  It has only
been proposed.  A copy of the proposed handbook is in the ASR.
-------

NCOHEN@IBM.COM ("Norman H. Cohen") (10/15/90)

         Or: How to save time by writing an infinite loop

I FTP'ed a copy of the draft MIL-HDBK-1804 file from ajpo.sei.cmu.edu,
carefully following the directions that were posted on INFO-ADA, but
I appear to have received an Ada Follies script instead.

I especially enjoyed the line in section 5.5.5 explaining that exit
statements should be avoided in real-time programs "because they can
greatly increase run time if the code at the exit address has to be
paged into working space."

Who writes this stuff?