[comp.lang.ada] To-ADA Conversion Tools

whg@INEL.GOV (Bill Gray) (10/03/90)

I would deeply appreciate any information on tools for converting from C to Ada
and from (please don't laugh) BASIC to Ada.  If you have such information and
would please E-mail whg@INEL.GOV,  that very same will be forever in your debt.

Apologies in advance for the unusually prolix and incoherent disclaimer mandated
by our legal staff.
Bill Gray	                 	UUCP:     ...!uunet!inel.gov!whg
Idaho National Engineering Lab.  	INTERNET: whg@INEL.GOV
"Quantity has a quality all its own."  -- Lenin (on the subject of tanks)
Disclaimer: My opinions only; obtain a prospectus before you invest.

Neither the United States Government nor the Idaho National
Engineering Laboratory nor any of their employees, makes any warranty,
expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility
for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information,
product, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not
infringe privately owned rights.  Reference herein to any specific
commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark
manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply
its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States
Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory.  The views and
opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect
those of the United States Government nor the Idaho National Engineering
Laboratory, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement
purposes.

rosen@ulysse.enst.fr (Jean Pierre Rosen) (10/12/90)

I know that sometimes such tools may be useful, but my advice would be:
   If you translate BASIC (or whatever) to Ada, all you get is
   translated BASIC.

Or if you prefer: it is worth translating, if you don't change the fabric
of your program?

Larry E. Carroll (10/30/90)

In article <34@ulysse.enst.fr> rosen@ulysse.enst.fr (Jean Pierre Rosen) writes:

>I know that sometimes such tools may be useful, but my advice would be:
>   If you translate BASIC (or whatever) to Ada, all you get is
>   translated BASIC.
>
>Or if you prefer: it is worth translating, if you don't change the fabric
>of your program?

You seem to presume the answer to your question is no.  I'll disagree, with
the caveat that the real answer always depends on the particular situation.
In general, however, I'd say yes.

I've translated C programs to Ada & found errors that had long plagued me
because they were to difficult to find with lint or with the minimal checking
of code that most C compilers do.

Once the BASIC program is translated, it's easier to incrementally reshape it
into a better form closer to Ada style & to make other improvements (perhaps
major ones caused by requirements changes).
						Larry