[net.movies] One more BTTF question

kerri@greg.UUCP (K. Cozens) (09/04/85)

Did Michael J. Fox play and sing _Johnny_B_Goode_?  If not, I'd like
to know who it was.  I've never seen him do anything musical on other
shows.

I saw the movie again this weekend and watched the credits at the end.
All it said was "_Johnny_B_Goode_ by Marty McFly and the Musictones" (or
whatever the name of that group was).

								Thanks,
								K. Cozens

aaron@homxa.UUCP (A.CHESIR) (09/05/85)

Here is yet another BTTF question, and one that I consider the most obvious
problem with the storyline: If Marty, during the revised progression of
history, is both the son of Mr. & Mrs. McFly AND the person who had such a
profound impact on the revised progression of the lives of the parents &
Biff, certainly he should look VERY familiar to the three of them (after the
second go-around)! Yet at the end of the movie, there is NO indication that
anyone (but myself) recognized him from their new pasts!

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (09/06/85)

> Here is yet another BTTF question, and one that I consider the most obvious
> problem with the storyline: If Marty, during the revised progression of
> history, is both the son of Mr. & Mrs. McFly AND the person who had such a
> profound impact on the revised progression of the lives of the parents &
> Biff, certainly he should look VERY familiar to the three of them (after the
> second go-around)! Yet at the end of the movie, there is NO indication that
> anyone (but myself) recognized him from their new pasts!

As one person on the net had pointed out earlier, Marty met his parents 30
years ago and he only spent a couple days with them.  It would be pretty
hard to remember someone after all that time.

However, if Marty's parents did recognize him from 30 years ago then they
would have recognized him long before he came back to the future.  They
would have noticed the resemblence say when Marty was 12 years old or so
not just instantaneously because remember, Marty grew up with them he
didn't just appear one day.  Hence no indication on that one day when
Marty came home at the end of the movie.  They did buy Marty that 4X4 for
a present though, so he must have been a favorite for some reason or other.

												Joseph M. Dakes
												AT&T Bell Laboratories
												Reading, PA
												rduxb!jmd

In article <107@greg.UUCP> kerri@greg.UUCP (K. Cozens) writes:

>Did Michael J. Fox play and sing _Johnny_B_Goode_?  If not, I'd like
>to know who it was.  I've never seen him do anything musical on other
>shows.

>I saw the movie again this weekend and watched the credits at the end.
>All it said was "_Johnny_B_Goode_ by Marty McFly and the Musictones" (or
>whatever the name of that group was).

He did play the guitar, but the music you hear on the soundtrack is a
session guitarist.  Fox's playing was mostly to make it look right.

Charley Wingate

zeke@dartvax.UUCP (Edward M. Zebrowski) (09/06/85)

In article <107@greg.UUCP> kerri@greg.UUCP (K. Cozens) writes:
>Did Michael J. Fox play and sing _Johnny_B_Goode_?  If not, I'd like
>to know who it was.  I've never seen him do anything musical on other
>shows.
>
>I saw the movie again this weekend and watched the credits at the end.
>All it said was "_Johnny_B_Goode_ by Marty McFly and the Musictones" (or
>whatever the name of that group was).
>
>								Thanks,
>                                                               K. Cozens

_Johnny_B_Goode_ was sung in the movie by Mark Campbell and the guitar solo
was done by Tim May, according to the back cover of the soundtrack album.
(Incidentally, the backup group was The Starlighters.)

Ed Zebrowski  (zeke@dartvax.UUCP)

toddv@copper.UUCP (Todd Vierheller) (09/07/85)

> Here is yet another BTTF question, and one that I consider the most obvious
> problem with the storyline: If Marty, during the revised progression of
> history, is both the son of Mr. & Mrs. McFly AND the person who had such a
> profound impact on the revised progression of the lives of the parents &
> Biff, certainly he should look VERY familiar to the three of them (after the
> second go-around)! Yet at the end of the movie, there is NO indication that
> anyone (but myself) recognized him from their new pasts!

(Sorry about the weird mail.)

I wondered about this myself, and here's what I came up with.  Marty was only
part of their lives for one week.  Considering the limited exposure and the
passage of time, their is no reason they should recognize him.  In addition,
they watched him slowly grow into his present looks from his original state
as a newborn.  Subconciously they would probably resist the idea of
"recognizing" him.

                                   Todd Vierheller
                                   Software Development Products
                                   Tektronix, Inc.  (Aloha Oregon)
____________________
Let your fountain be blessed,
And rejoice in the wife of your youth.
As a loving hind and a graceful doe,
Let her breaszts satisfy you at all times;
Be exhilarated always with her love.

      Proverbs 5:18-19 NASB

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (09/09/85)

[]
	I don't know if this has been brougt up before. I didn't read the
first rash of postings on BTTF because I hadn't seen it yet. So, apologies if
necessary.
	Anyway, In the opening scenes of the film, when Marty comes in to Doc
Brown's lab and starts turning on equipment, one of the first things he does
is to turn a key switch on a panel. In that very brief shot I thought I saw a
Dymo tape label under the switch that read 'CRM-114'. Did anyone else see this
or did I imagine it?
	If it was real I can only take it as a reference to _Dr. Strangelove_
where CRM-114 was the designation of the device which prohibited receiving any
messages that did not begin with the proper 3 letter code prefix.

----
William J. Richard @ Charles River Data Systems
983 Concord St. Framingham, MA 01701
Tel: (617) 626-1112
uucp: ...!decvax!frog!wjr

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (09/11/85)

In article <559@x.UUCP> wjr@x.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>	Anyway, In the opening scenes of the film, when Marty comes in to Doc
>Brown's lab and starts turning on equipment, one of the first things he does
>is to turn a key switch on a panel. In that very brief shot I thought I saw a
>Dymo tape label under the switch that read 'CRM-114'. Did anyone else see this
>or did I imagine it?

You saw it. There were a lot of things lllike that in BTTF.
--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

from _The_Nth_Psalm_ in _The_Book_of_Fred_