[comp.lang.ada] Validated Ada Compiler List

U012@CBEBDA3T.BITNET (09/14/87)

SEND PS:<ADA-INFo>VAL-COMP.HLP

STRIPET@ADAWC.WPAFB.AF.MIL ("Thomas H. Stripe 255-4472", 513) (11/09/90)

>> Would someone give a few examples of Ada compilers that have been
>> DOD certified for the IBM PC?  I know there is Integrada by
>> Aetech, but that's the limit of my experience.  How does it
>> stack up against the others?

>> Thank you for the help.  I will be happy to summarize if there is
>> interest.

Bev,

	There exist a list of validated Ada compilers from the AJPO
(AJPO.SEI.CMU.EDU) machine. This is available through anonymous ftp in
the subdirectory public/ada-info. The file is VAL-COMP.HLP.
This list contains all compilers that have been certified by an AVF.

For more information, call Michele Kee at the Ada Information Clearinghouse
at (703) 685-1477.

Thomas H. Stripe
Wright-Patterson AVF

pattis@cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) (11/11/90)

The most recent review of PC compilers I have (Aetech, Alsys, Meridian,
R&R, Telesoft) appears in PC Week, September 10th, page 107-112.

Rich Pattis

case@shamash.cdc.com (Steven V. Case) (11/12/90)

In article <13696@june.cs.washington.edu>, pattis@cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) writes:

> The most recent review of PC compilers I have (Aetech, Alsys, Meridian,
> R&R, Telesoft) appears in PC Week, September 10th, page 107-112.

I saw the review and felt fairly comfortable with the results (although I'm
not in agreement as to the ranking of the compilers, mostly since my experience
with the compilers has been different).

Of all the PC based compiler reviews that I have seen, they have all ignored
one factor that is significant to me evaluations, network support.  After all,
isn't one of the advantages of Ada the ability to support large projects?
And doesn't a large project imply a large number of people?  And if you have
a large number of people, don't you need an efficient method of sharing and
controlling the source code and the Ada libraries?

One of the recent technologies in PC environments that I think have made it
possible to efficiently develop large programs on PCS is the advent of
networks. I certainly want my Ada compiler to support my network, and prefer-
ably to take advantage of it.  I have not used the JANUS/Ada compiler for
about a year or so now, but when I did it required too much memory to execute
when we had our PC's connected to the network.  I am currently using the
Meridian and the Alsys compilers.  The Alsys compiler has the same problem
as the JANUS/Ada compiler.  Fortunately, Meridian's compiler will function
properly when the network is loaded (at least the extended mode compiler will).
Better still, the Meridian compiler will allow us to have multiple people
compiling out of the same library and will do enough locking of resources to
prevent the library from becoming corrupted.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

--
  ____  ____        Steve Case - HQG526           email: case@shamash.cdc.com
 / ___||___ \       Control Data Corporation      AT&T : (612) 853-3345
| |___  ___| |      3101 East 80th Street
 \____||____/       Bloomington, MN 55425

case@shamash.cdc.com (Steven V. Case) (11/14/90)

In my previous posting I had discussed the desirability for PC-based Ada
compilers to support networking environments.  In that article I had stated
that the Alsys compiler does not support our network.  In response to my
statement I received a call from Sharaon Aucoin (of Alsys) inquiring as to
the difficulty that we have had.  After discussing the subject briefly
with Sharon I was going to send her some information detailing the errors
that we were experiencing.  It seems that Alsys has been working to ensure
that their compilers do support PC-based networks.  Well, I attempted to
duplicated the problem that we had experienced last Spring when we first
received the compiler, and I couldn't.  I can only assume that the original
problem was an incompatibility with the version of the network we were
running then.  We have since upgraded the network but we did not attempt
to use the Alsys compiler on the newer version until Sharon was able to
give me some obviously helpful advice.

With all that said, I hope I learned my lesson and will be a little more
carefull next time.

I have not had the opportunity to use the Telesoft compiler yet, and the
JANUS/Ada compiler I have is now two versions old.  Does anyone know if
the current versions of these compilers will work properly on a PC-based
network environment?

--
 \____||____/       Bloomington, MN 55425