[comp.lang.ada] Ada bindings for X-Windows

tmcclory@odin.wright.edu (Tom McClory) (01/23/90)

I am just starting a project that makes use of the Ada X Windows
bindings, built by Stephen Hyland and Mark Nelson of Science
Applications International Corporation.  I would be interested in
hearing from from other folks who have or are currently developing
X Windows applications in Ada.  The purpose of course is to avoid
having to rediscover the same old bugs and the solutions, to
discuss approaches to solving problems, and in general, to tap
into any old boy/girl network that may exist.  I've already noticed
some problems in the X Toolkit bindings (Xr toolkit I believe).
Pointers to solutions would be appreciated.

Please contact by email.

Thanks

Tom McClory		 tmcclory@wright.edu
Wright State University
Dayton, OH.

kees@gouldnl.encore.nl (Kees Vos) (11/08/90)

Can anyone give me pointers on where I can find Ada bindings for X-windows.

I know this has been asked several times but I have never seen
the references on the net.

Thanks in advance for your reaction (by E-mail please).

Kees!

kees@gouldnl.encore.nl (Kees Vos) (11/08/90)

Oops, forgot the .sig

| Kees Vos                               ...!hp4nl!encore.nl!kvos |
| Encore Computer Nederland BV                     kvos@encore.nl |
| Maarssenbroek, The Netherlands             (USA) ...!gould!kvos |

len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (11/13/90)

In article <11705@gouldnl.encore.nl> kees@gouldnl.encore.nl (Kees Vos) writes:
>Can anyone give me pointers on where I can find Ada bindings for X-windows.
>
>I know this has been asked several times but I have never seen
>the references on the net.

No wonder you did not see the reply on the net ...

>Thanks in advance for your reaction (by E-mail please).
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
if everyone asking for the information has the reply mailed to him
alone.

Please post the answer (as well as mailing to make sure Kees gets it).
Actually, I would not mind a mailed reply, too, just to make sure I do
not miss the posting.  I am specifically interested in 80386-based
platforms (e.g. SCO Open Desktop).  Thanks.

Len

len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (11/13/90)

Double oops!  I also forgot my signature.  Here it is.

Len

Leonard Vanek                  UUCP: ... uunet!attcan!lsuc!array!len
Array Systems Computing Inc.    or ... utzoo!dciem!array!len
5000 Dufferin St. Suite 200     or lsuc!array!len@ai.toronto.edu
Downsview, Ont. M3H 5T5        Phone: (416) 736-0900
Canada                         FAX:   (416) 736-4715

alleyne@teecs.UUCP (Adrian Alleyne) (11/15/90)

 >> I'm looking for Ada bindings for X.

The STARS program Ada Bindings:

SAIC developed an Ada binding to Xlib (X11/R2) under the STARS contract.

There's a version of this binding on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil if you
have FTP access.  There are also a number of companies that sell the
Ada Software Repository on tape (MACA (505) 678-3288).  You can also get it
from NRL, according the STARS newsletter (which you can get by sending mail to
newsletter@stars.reston.unisys.com).

Many compiler vendors provide a binding mostly based on the orginal STARS version
(e.g. TeleSoft), and there are companies, such as GHG, and Ada Plus that have taken
the binding and commercialized it.

The (new! improved!) X11R4 binding (for several different compilers)
was scheduled to be released sometime in September '90.  To get on the mailing list
for further information, send mail to x-ada-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu.

We have successfully produced our own bindings to Xt and Motif, but I have no
idea if or when they will be released to the public.

SERPENT:

Serpent supports user interface development using both the motif and
athena toolkit widget sets for X windows AND includes an Ada binding.

This allows the development of ada applications for these X window
toolkits but requires the use of serpent.  we don't necessarily
view this as a bad thing, however. 8^}  we have not yet integrated
the Open Look toolkit but we have developed a tool that allows the
easy integration of X intrinsic based toolkits (i.e., XTK+ but
not XViews).  This tool is provided with serpent and we can assist
you in the integration if you chose to attempt it.  Our experience
has been that it takes approximately 1/2 hour per widget to integrate
a new, X intrinsic based toolkit.

Support for both ada and X has been a strong selling point for
serpent.  There are several groups who are currently developing ada
applications with Motif based user interfaces using serpent.

Serpent is available for anonymous ftp (contact rCs see below) and is also
available on the MIT X11 Contrib tape.

--------
Thanks to:  karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) and rcs@SEI.CMU.EDU (rCs)
            for providing some of the above information.

Adrian Alleyne					email: alleyne@teecs.UUCP
Litton Systems Canada Limited			voice: (416) 249-1231
Etobicoke, Ont.
Canada M9W 5A7
.

howard@esosun.css.gov (Howard Turner) (11/16/90)

	SAIC developed an Ada binding to Xlib (X11/R2) under the STARS contract.

	The (new! improved!) X11R4 binding (for several different compilers)
	was scheduled to be released sometime in September '90.  To get on the mailing list
	for further information, send mail to x-ada-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu.

The X11R4 Ada/X Xlib binding is available now.  SAIC and Unisys participated
in the development of the binding.  Its much better than the old one.
The same software is available from SAIC or Unsiys.  Its now the
"STARS standard".  It is also compatible with X11R3 Xlib.

An implementation of Ada/Xt is in the works.  Its based upon the X11R4 binding.

For more information (e.g. How do I get a copy?) contact either/both:

Mark Nelson, technical lead
SAIC
mark@esosun.css.gov
619.458.4947