[net.movies] another BTTF question

gersh@dartvax.UUCP (Jeff Gershengorn) (09/08/85)

My question regards Marty's memory.  Specifically, is he able to recall events
from his own life after he goes "back to the future?"  For example, does he
remember how his parents really reacted when they "went easy on him"?  My
inclination is to believe that he wouldn't because he's in such shock when
he wakes up the following morning with everything so different.
This particular question has bothered me because of the fact that the movie was
made with such careful attention to detail. On that topic, my two cents worth
about the Honemooners episode is that they probably chose the date 11/05/55
with the particular episode in mind because I don't remember hearing anything
about the actual historical significance of that date.
I welcome any comments/explanations.
                                        -Jeff
"Whoever has the most things when they die, wins."
                                                    -Anonymous

Jeff Gershengorn '88        ihnp4!dartvax!gersh
Hinman Box 1772     Dartmouth College       Hanover, New Hampshire 03755
Real World:   5 Fairway Drive    San Rafael, CA 94901

zeke@dartvax.UUCP (Edward M. Zebrowski) (09/11/85)

In article <3557@dartvax.UUCP> gersh@dartvax.UUCP (Jeff Gershengorn) writes:
>My question regards Marty's memory.  Specifically, is he able to recall events
>from his own life after he goes "back to the future?"  For example, does he
>remember how his parents really reacted when they "went easy on him"?  My
>inclination is to believe that he wouldn't because he's in such shock when
>he wakes up the following morning with everything so different.
>This particular question has bothered me because of the fact that the movie was
>made with such careful attention to detail. On that topic, my two cents worth
>about the Honemooners episode is that they probably chose the date 11/05/55
>with the particular episode in mind because I don't remember hearing anything
>about the actual historical significance of that date.
>I welcome any comments/explanations.
>                                        -Jeff
>--

This has bothered me also.  I would think that the other Marty (recall when
he saw himself) was the one who remembered when his parents "went easy on
him."  This goes back to the ideas of either only one possible timeline
existing or several parallel timelines existing when time travelling occurs.
A few people wrote on this subject in this newsgroup a few weeks ago.

Ed Zebrowski