[comp.lang.ada] ada language parsers needed

metrics@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Metrics Research Team) (12/08/90)

Hello out there,

	Can someone please send me info. on where to obtain an ada language
parser utility.
	The place should be accessable through a mail ftp site if possible.

We have a very large scale system that we need help in obtaining some
metrics.

Thank you for your hlep in advance.

Steve Wagner metrics team member.

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (12/08/90)

In article <12198@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> metrics@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Metrics Research Team) writes:

>Hello out there,
>
>	Can someone please send me info. on where to obtain an ada language
>parser utility.
>	The place should be accessable through a mail ftp site if possible.
>
>We have a very large scale system that we need help in obtaining some
>metrics.

The NASA PrettyPrinter, on Simtel20 in the ASR, contains an Ada LR parser,
which it needs to pretty-print a program. It also builds a tree of the
input program, which it can manipulate to add e.g. certain kinds of
comments. I have a YACC specification for Ada, which I will be glad to
e-mail you if you wish. The nice thing about the one inside Pretty is
that it's written in Ada and, since you have the source, you can make the
"back end" do whatever you like. This product is not bad, was developed
for NASA, and seems to be fairly decent Ada. It's in the public domain.

Prof. Michael Feldman
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052
202-994-5253
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu

g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (12/08/90)

In article <2420@sparko.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
> In article <12198@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> metrics@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Metrics Research Team) writes:
>>
>>Hello out there,
>>
>>	Can someone please send me info. on where to obtain an ada language
>>parser utility.
>>	The place should be accessable through a mail ftp site if possible.

Try wsmr-simtel20.army.mil for the Pretty-Printer parser.

>>We have a very large scale system that we need help in obtaining some
>>metrics.
>>
> The NASA PrettyPrinter, on Simtel20 in the ASR, contains an Ada LR parser,
> which it needs to pretty-print a program. It also builds a tree of the
> input program, which it can manipulate to add e.g. certain kinds of
> comments.

BIG DITTOs for that code.  It is extremely generic.  I believe we've now
compiled it under Meridian, VAX Ada, and perhaps Janus.  It's clean (or at
least as clean as any parser can be.)

>  The nice thing about the one inside Pretty is
> that it's written in Ada and, since you have the source, you can make the
> "back end" do whatever you like. This product is not bad, was developed
> for NASA, and seems to be fairly decent Ada. It's in the public domain.

> Prof. Michael Feldman
> Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
> The George Washington University
> Washington, DC 20052
> 202-994-5253
> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu

A warning:  The Pretty-Printer is LARGE and uses several different files found
in the Simtel-20 Repository.  Since Simtel-20 is a DEC 20, the directory
structure are not what DOS/UNIX/VMS/etc.-types may be used to.

------------------------------------------------------*-----------Happy---
-- George C. Harrison ------------------------------ * * -----------New---
----- Professor of Computer Science --------------  * * * ----------Year--
----- Norfolk State University, -----------------  *Merry* ---------------
-------- Norfolk, Virginia 23504 ---------------  * * * * * --------------
----- INTERNET:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu ------  *Christmas* -------------
----------These are MY views.... you may share them..*** -----------------

dd@sei.cmu.edu (Dennis Doubleday) (12/11/90)

I built a tool that gathers some static Ada code measures; it is
called ASAP.  It incorporates the parser mentioned in a couple of
other posts.  You don't say anything about your environment, but this
tool is designed for VMS/DEC Ada.  I haven't ported it to Unix yet.
Here's how to get it if you're interested:

Do an anonymous ftp to fg.sei.cmu.edu

cd to pub/dd

get the two files there, README and asap072490.tar.Z

The documentation is included.

This software incorporates quite a bit of code taken from the Ada
Software Repostory at Simtel20.

Hope you find it useful.

--
Dennis Doubleday  (dd@sei.cmu.edu)                     _   /|
Software Engineering Institute                         \'o.O'