[net.movies] Time travel

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (02/11/85)

I think you guys are finding out that time travel IS a paradox.

Sean

psal@othervax.UUCP (02/18/85)

==== < FOR THE LINE EATER > ====

	Don't you mean that time travel will bave been a paradox?

		- C.Thomas Weinbaum von Waldenthal

metz@troll.DEC (08/23/85)

In order to make any sense of time travel, as in "back to the Future" or
H. G. Wells' "The Time Machine", it must be realized  that each event which
creates a change in the time line itself will cause anoth time line to be
created and a new series of events to transpire. This could lead to an
infinite number of time lines for a series of acts caused by a time
traveler. If it is assumed that time is a positive flowing river, a move
back in time would place the traveler in position to retrace a given path.
Since the future from the point at which he/she intrudes could not be
changed or else the traveler himself would be changed, it must be true and
necessary for a new time line to be formed and the travelers path be in
a new direction. The original time path must stay intact or the future
where the traveler was would not be if he changed it in any way. This
will lead to an infinite number of time lines as each event takes place.
To discuss the events in a time travel movie as if they should be logical
is in itself illogical and only is a manifestation of our human egos. It
is not possible for us to perceive what is taking place around us for we
do not have the necessary senses to react to stimuli beyond our limited
range.
So when you go to a movie, enjoy what it is and do not try to rationalize
what is basically irrational.

jtb@kitc.UUCP (John Burgess) (08/28/85)

In article <95@decwrl.UUCP> metz@troll.DEC writes:

>In order to make any sense of time travel, as in "back to the Future" or
>H. G. Wells' "The Time Machine", it must be realized  that each event which
>creates a change in the time line itself will cause anoth time line to be
>created and a new series of events to transpire. This could lead to an
>infinite number of time lines for a series of acts caused by a time
>traveler. If it is assumed that time is a positive flowing river, a move
>back in time would place the traveler in position to retrace a given path.
>Since the future from the point at which he/she intrudes could not be
>changed or else the traveler himself would be changed, it must be true and
>necessary for a new time line to be formed and the travelers path be in
>a new direction. ...

What is stated above is One possible postulate for the way time travel
might work - or rather, the way it DOES work in some real fictional
universes, for example Doctor Who  (see net.tv.drwho).

Just as in Geometry, where different sets of postulates make
for different (so-called non-Euclidian) geometries,
an author can postulate different time-travel postulates,
and create different (fictional) universes!

Some other postulates, which create different universes,
but which are used by various other science fiction authors, are:

1) Since the past is past, one cannot change it, therefore
any particular time travel event into the past was/is NECESSARY
in order to make the past what it was/is.  This assumes there is
one and only one time line, and thus one can return to the present
with no changes evident.  One can even THINK one has "changed the past",
but in this type universe, all one is doing is forcing an event
that would have happened anyway.

2) "Free" time travel.  Some authors don't get hung up over
stuff like infinite time lines and such, and merely allow time
travel to happe.

3) "Uncertain time" - in this model, the only point in time that
is "true" is the current instant, whatever that may be.  The
past and future fade away (as a function of time) into uncertainty anyway,
so time travel is sort of like moving in a fog.  (This one is the toughest
to explain, much less deal with!)

4) Are there others?  beats me.  This discussion should probably move
to net.sf-lovers, anyway.

There are interesting paradoxes that can happen in ANY of these.
Think about it!
--
John Burgess
ATT-IS Labs, So. Plainfield NJ  (HP 1C-221)

tonyf@mmintl.UUCP (Tony Faulise) (08/30/85)

In article <95@decwrl.UUCP> metz@troll.DEC writes:

>In order to make any sense of time travel, as in "back to the Future" or
>H. G. Wells' "The Time Machine", it must be realized  that each event which
>creates a change in the time line itself will cause anoth time line to be
>created and a new series of events to transpire. This could lead to an
>infinite number of time lines for a series of acts caused by a time
>traveler. If it is assumed that time is a positive flowing river, a move

well, hey now, that's an idea!  (not original i'm sure, but the first
time i've thought about it this way.)  if you let time-space be a
four dimensional flow, non-turbulent (maybe not a good assumption),
non-viscous (why should it be?), and irrotational (??? what does
this mean?) then my calculus tells me no two paths of three-space
through time can intersect, right?

maybe we can do something with conformal mapping here?  i have to
read up on this.

by the way, i broke one of the electrodes off my flux-capacitor,
anyone have a spare?						:-)

tony 'the meek and jumbled' faulise
...allegra!princeton!yoyo!faulise	after sept 10

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (09/10/85)

> 	When an airliner travels from the East Coast to the West Coast,
> no one is amazed that it travels along an arc of a circle rather than
>
> etc., etc., etc.
>
> Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
> Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

Why not move all these discussions of time travel to net.misc and out of
net.movies. I think these particular digressions from the original theme of
"Back to the Future" have gone on long enough.

--

    "   For every word there is a song upon which inspiration lies ..."

    Ed Tankus
    Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
    Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
    Bell :  (203) 562-2101

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (09/13/85)

In article <257@hsi.UUCP> tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) writes:

>Why not move all these discussions of time travel to net.misc and out of
>net.movies. I think these particular digressions from the original theme of
>"Back to the Future" have gone on long enough.

No, no, no, no... net.rec.timetravel!!!!!!

oh yea,          O__\
                 ____}
                 O  /

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

Kyllara :	What did you just do?
Moederan :	I don't know but it's going to be fun...