[comp.lang.ada] Ada STYLE GUIDE FOLLOWUP

rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) (01/23/91)

In article <9101091728.AA29538@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu>, action@AJPO.SEI.CMU.EDU (SYSTEMS Administrator, AJPO.SEI.CMU.EDU) writes:
> FROM:     John P. Solomond, Director, Ada Joint Program Office
>
> SUBJECT:  Ada STYLE GUIDE FOLLOWUP
>
> ... If the SPC guide meets this dual need, the
> problem is that it is a "private" product.  While the SPC engages in
> general research, it is a profit-making venture.  How would that square
> with getting the "blessing" of the AJPO?...

Profit-making must be encouraged in all aspects of Ada.  The Ada
community learned 5 years ago (from ALS and AIE) that open competition
for profits produces the best products.  DoD has wisely endorsed a policy
of using commercial off-the-shelf computer hardware, software, and
standards (eg, VME bus, POSIX) whenever possible.  There's no reason to
stop short of commercial texts.  The Ada community must be opportunistic
and GRAB good products when they come along.  We can't compete with C/C++
otherwise.  Furthermore, SPC should not be pressured into donating their
product.  If they're discouraged from making a profit, that will just
keep other good ideas out of the Ada market.  We need those
profit-makers.

	Rick Carle