[net.movies] _Back_To_The_Future_: shot where?...

dtuttle@uw-june (David C. Tuttle) (08/30/85)

Subject: Re: _Back To The Future_:  Shot where???
Newsgroups: net.movies

There have been a number of queries as to the the location setting of
Back To The Future.  ??Mill Valley?? (was that the name?) is actually,
in my guess, Lone Pine, CA, a small, beautiful city on US 395 in
east-central California (in the Sierra Nevadas).  The road sign near the
beginning of the film said US 395 and US 8, and I guess that US 8 was
put there to throw us off (:-).  And, of course, let us not forget
Lone Pine Mall (formerly Twin Pines Mall, until Our Hero knocks down
one of the two pine trees on the farmer's property while making his hasty
getaway).
I don't know this for a fact, of course, because I've been through the town
only once.
David C. Tuttle
Computer Science Dept.
University of Washington
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!dtuttle

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (08/30/85)

In article <199@uw-june> dtuttle@uw-june (David C. Tuttle) writes:

>There have been a number of queries as to the the location setting of
>Back To The Future.  ??Mill Valley?? (was that the name?) is actually,

It was, in the movie, Hill Valley.  Does that make any sense?

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc. (UDA - Usual Disclaimer Applies)

dtuttle@uw-june (David C. Tuttle) (09/05/85)

> From: bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert)
> Subject: Re: Back to the Future--shot where?
>
>> Does anyone know, or recognize, where Back to the Future was shot?
>> The vegetation, the license plates, and the "Bank of America" in the
>> town square suggest non-coastal northern California.
>> One scene clearly showed a highway sign, for the intersection of (I
>> think) U.S. 8 and U.S. 395.  But there is no such intersection--U.S. 8
>> does not even enter California.  It's possible I don't remember the
>> highway numbers correctly.
>> /Ron
>
>Interstate 8 intersects U.S. 395 in San Diego, CA. --But it is not
>called 395 anymore. It's 15 now. But if they were back in time ...hmmmm

No, it wasn't Interstate 8, but US Highway 8.  And, apparently, this doesn't
even make it to California (although I have yet to get silly enough to
check a map).  I still vote for Lone Pine, CA  (where else can you find
a Lone Pine Mall?!? :-)
David C. Tuttle
Computer Science Dept.
University of Washington
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!dtuttle

ajf@pyuxa.UUCP (A Figura) (09/05/85)

Re: two earlier articles on where US 8 and US 395 intersect,
David Tuttle writes:
> No, it wasn't Interstate 8, but US Highway 8.  And, apparently, this doesn't
> even make it to California (although I have yet to get silly enough to
> check a map).  I still vote for Lone Pine, CA  (where else can you find
> a Lone Pine Mall?!? :-)

Having been to Lone Pine, CA (near the entrance to Death Valley)
I can assure you there is no mall there. In fact, there's not much
of anything there! The whole town consists of one main street (which
happens to be US 395 - Hmm?).  Lone Pine, CA is pretty much surrounded by
mountains (didn't see many in the movie) and the area in general
doesn't have much farmland to speak of (unlike the town in the movie.
Besides, the original 1985 mall was called "Twin Pines", until Marty
knocked over a tree in 1955, and came back to find the Lone Pine Mall.

I checked a map, and US 395 and US 8 do not intersect (and never have),
in California (or elsewhere).  But I'd still be interested in finding out
where the movie was filmed.

In article <212@uw-june> dtuttle@uw-june (David C. Tuttle) writes:

>>> Does anyone know, or recognize, where Back to the Future was shot?
>>> The vegetation, the license plates, and the "Bank of America" in the
>>> town square suggest non-coastal northern California.
>>> One scene clearly showed a highway sign, for the intersection of (I
>>> think) U.S. 8 and U.S. 395.  But there is no such intersection--U.S. 8
>>> does not even enter California.  It's possible I don't remember the
>>> highway numbers correctly.

>>Interstate 8 intersects U.S. 395 in San Diego, CA. --But it is not
>>called 395 anymore. It's 15 now. But if they were back in time ...hmmmm

>No, it wasn't Interstate 8, but US Highway 8.  And, apparently, this doesn't
>even make it to California (although I have yet to get silly enough to
>check a map).  I still vote for Lone Pine, CA  (where else can you find
>a Lone Pine Mall?!? :-)

The last time this question came around, it was asserted by someone who'd
been to the Universal studios that the town center is in fact on the
Universal lots.  Apparently the only location shots are those of the mall,
the road to town, and possibly the house exteriors.

Charley Wingate

"I say this because I want to be prime minister of Canada someday."
         -- Michael Fox

laj@wnuxb.UUCP (JOHNSON) (09/07/85)

>The last time this question came around, it was asserted by someone who'd
>been to the Universal studios that the town center is in fact on the
>Universal lots.  Apparently the only location shots are those of the mall,
>the road to town, and possibly the house exteriors.

Fans of "The Music Man" may want to compare the BTTF courthouse scene
to the park where Harold Hill sings about the Trouble with Pool to the
citizens of River City, Ia.

--
						Larry Johnson
						Western ElectricAT&T TechnologiesInformation Systems

sdo@u1100a.UUCP (Scott Orshan) (09/09/85)

Did anyone else recognize the town square as the street from
"Gremlins?"  When I saw the view down the street with the movie
theater at the end it seemed familiar.  A friend of mine had the
same impression.  If this has been mentioned before, I apologize.
Also, don't post followups to this that just agree and add no
information.  Send me mail instead.
--

			Scott Orshan
			Bell Communications Research

sct@lanl.ARPA (09/11/85)

> >Interstate 8 intersects U.S. 395 in San Diego, CA. --But it is not
> >called 395 anymore. It's 15 now. But if they were back in time ...hmmmm
>
> No, it wasn't Interstate 8, but US Highway 8.  And, apparently, this doesn't
> even make it to California (although I have yet to get silly enough to
> check a map).  I still vote for Lone Pine, CA  (where else can you find
> a Lone Pine Mall?!? :-)

	It can't be Lone Pine since I've been through there many times
on my way to Mammoth Mtn. to ski.  If we assume US 395 is authentic then
my vote is somewhere between San Bernadino and San Diego or some town
north of Reno NV on 395.

mhb@wdl1.UUCP (09/14/85)

When I visited Universal Studios they showed us the town center and
most of the street scenes.  I suspect that almost all of it was
photographed there.
			Mike Bender