[comp.lang.ada] Amiga UX and Ada

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") (01/29/91)

I've added comp.lang.ada, please keep this in mind when you followup.

In article <16098@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) writes:
>Of course, I know some people who would be perfectly willing to use
>inexpensive unvalidated Ada compilers, or even not-quite-Ada, since
>then development could be done on workstations, etc.

Roll your own.  Ada is close enough to Pascal (really!) that it's
pretty straightforward to pirate across a good Pascal compiler.  In my
undergraduate compilers class, we had to generate assembly for an ada-subset
language (missing all the thread-type stuff and difficult-to-code user
niceties, etc).  In the space of a semester, I was able to manage function
calls, exceptions (or whatever ada calls them) and a couple of other
things.  An experienced compiler person should need only 6-12 months,
I'd *guess*.

I actually have considered writing a ada-subset (keep in mind that
"Ada" is legally protected to  the point that you can't sell
an "Ada compiler") compiler, but I can't justify the time expenditure.

Ada-flames to /dev/null, I really don't care to argue about Ada
good or bad.  It's just another language.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2120
"It is the cunning of form to veil itself continually in the evidence

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan29.051947.27478@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu ("J. Eric Townsend") writes:

>>Of course, I know some people who would be perfectly willing to use
>>inexpensive unvalidated Ada compilers, or even not-quite-Ada, since
>>then development could be done on workstations, etc.
>
>I actually have considered writing a ada-subset (keep in mind that
>"Ada" is legally protected to  the point that you can't sell
>an "Ada compiler") compiler, but I can't justify the time expenditure.

I think your information on this may be outdated. The government has
allowed the trademark to lapse; the essence of it is if you want to sell
unvalidated Ada and I want to buy it, Uncle Sam shouldn't stop us from
making a deal. _Validated_ Ada is required for _government_ software,
but for nongovernment work the government does not get involved any more.
Ada is _no longer_ "legally protected"; the trademark lapsed in 1988.
IMHO, the government did the right thing.

Mike Feldman