[net.movies] The "Battlefield Earth" sound track...

myke@gitpyr.UUCP (Myke Reynolds) (09/03/85)

I spent a lot of time at a local planetarium when I was in highschool, and one
of the technicians use to go out and buy 100's of bucks worth of silly albums.
She and I would listen to them, looking for useful noises for planetarium
shows, and giggle a lot.. One day she came back with the soundtrack to the afore
mentioned book.. "A sound track to a book??" I thought it sounded really tacky
at the time, lots of over dramatic voices.. Sounded like a bastardized opera..
I'm biased however.. My step-father is very much into scientology (founded by
one and the same L. Ron Hubard..) He spends thousands of dollars on these
scientology classes and wont even pay for my mother's glaucoma operation..
It makes me nauseous just thinking about all the money this scum ball must be
making off of this stuff.. I read a portion of the book when I went too visit
my mother last summer, if you are aware of them there are references to
scientology all through the book.. The only reference I can remember now is the
thing about MEST, matter, energy, space and time.. which are all separate things
according to Mr. Hubard.. Of what religious value this is I do not know..

I would be quite happy if this whole movie business was a monsterous flop..
--
Myke Reynolds
Office of Telecommunications and Networking

<insert obligitory silly little piece of wit here>

ALAN@NCSUVM.BITNET (09/04/85)

Must everything be taken as RELIGIOUS?  Could Mr. Hubbard have, being of sound
mind, written a book just for the pleasure of writing a book??

----------
[Bloom County]
                        "Hurry!  They're freaking out on stale Heineken!!"
                        "I'M A FROG!  I'M A FROG!"
----------
          Alan Clegg             USMail: 2801-23 Brigadoon Drive
          "I am not a crook!"            Raleigh, NC  27606
                                 Net:    ALAN@NCSUVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
          Bell: (919) 851-3246           ALAN@NCSUVAX.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
----------

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (09/12/85)

 >I would be quite happy if this whole movie business was a
 >monsterous flop..

Well, leaders of cults are not the best people to make films if history
is any guide.  Rev. Moon's INCHON died on the screen.  It seems that
people who know how to run cults just don't know a lot about film and
try to lecture.  That kills a film really quickly. (Really good musical
score, though.  It probably will never be heard because it is attached
to such a flop.)

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (09/14/85)

> Must everything be taken as RELIGIOUS?  Could Mr. Hubbard have, being of sound
> mind, written a book just for the pleasure of writing a book??
>
> ----------
>           Alan Clegg
> ----------

  No.  Mr. Hubbard could not have been of sound mind.  The man is a fruitcake.

--Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die, and who would not put up with L. Ron Hubbard, either.

-- ...udenva!showard

sdi@loral.UUCP (09/18/85)

In article <843@udenva.UUCP> showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) writes:

>> Must everything be taken as RELIGIOUS?  Could Mr. Hubbard have, being of sound
>> mind, written a book just for the pleasure of writing a book??

>>           Alan Clegg
>
>  No.  Mr. Hubbard could not have been of sound mind.  The man is a fruitcake.

What do you know about Hubbard that makes him a fruitcake and why can't he
(as an accomplished Sci Fi Writer) write a book that is entertaining?  I
read Battlefield Earth and found it entertaining.