[comp.lang.ada] ACVC policy

madmats@elcgl.epfl.ch (03/27/91)

In article <jls.669955177@rutabaga>, jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>>      The  increased  focus on usage and the prohibition  of  continued
>>      growth  is expected to provide vendors with more time to  concen-
>>      trate on meeting users special requirements for optimization  and
>>      high quality tools.
>
> I would rephrase this to read "The prohibition of continued growth
> [of the tests] is expected to provide vendors with a shortcut to
> achieving validation at the expense of the Ada user community".

Jim, I like your reply to the new ACVC policy. One must realize, however,
that the current policy is somewhat inappropriate: still now, 8 years after
the Ada standard has been published, many compilers lack quality in compiling
real code. Language users probably have more need for a compiler that handles
correct constructs right and occasionally compiles an incorrect construct than
the reverse. The current ACVC seems to test just the reverse and this causes
many problems.

For instance, we (Software Engineering lab, Swiss federal institute of
technology), have had problems with compiling our reusable components
developped using nested generics from the beginning, and the situation has not
improved very much, to the point that I wonder if most Ada 83 compilers will be
correct before Ada 9X.

While I am at the subject, I have extracted a sample (12000 LOC) of our test
programs that I have made completely implementation independant and organized
into a test suite with input and expected output files. I consider these tests
to be 'normal' uses of Ada's generic facility, but many available complilers
don't compile them.
The test suite is available through anonymous ftp on elcgl.epfl.ch
(128.178.76.5) in directory adabugs (beware: this is a VMS machine).
Any comments are welcome.

I intend to 'organize' this test suite a little more, publishing its location
and possibly adding more tests in the future. Unfortunately, I have no better
means than human reading for proving the correctness of the code in the test
suite, as there is no formal specification for Ada :-)

Mats Weber
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
EPFL DI LGL
1015 Lausanne