[comp.lang.ada] Cheap/Free Ada

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (03/27/91)

In article <2926@sparko.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu () writes:

>AJPO: get something out there _quickly_ and don't be afraid to let us have
>premature stuff to play with. We're smart guys and we can work around the
>deficiencies. And for Heaven's sake, let us in the universities have
>the source code, RIGHT FROM THE START, so we can "add value."

My fantasy, inspired by a well-placed Ada-head who shall remain unnamed, is
an Ada front end for the GNU compilers. This would open up about a zillion
targets (basically anything that has a GNU C compiler).

I'd love to see AJPO drop a large parcel of unmarked bills on GNU's
doorstep, ask for no project plan, no design reviews, no 2167A doc; just
a working Ada compiler "sometime" that is freely available in source form.

[Flames that GNU C is written in C to /dev/null, please.]

>Thanks for starting a debate on this, Jim. This is gonna be fun.

Yeah!

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (03/27/91)

In article <14412@encore.Encore.COM> jcallen@encore.Com (Jerry Callen) writes:

>I'd love to see AJPO drop a large parcel of unmarked bills on GNU's
>doorstep, ask for no project plan, no design reviews, no 2167A doc; just
>a working Ada compiler "sometime" that is freely available in source form.

Yep. This is definitely on the right track. AJPO, are you listening?
This is my fantasy too. I also have a recurring nightmare that instead of
doing this, AJPO will give us another ALS.

Which will it be, sports fans?

Mike

pierson@encore.com (Dan L. Pierson) (03/27/91)

Regarding Cheap/Free Ada (was: Ada9x Transition); jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) adds:
> I'd love to see AJPO drop a large parcel of unmarked bills on GNU's
> doorstep, ask for no project plan, no design reviews, no 2167A doc;
> just a working Ada compiler "sometime" that is freely available in
> source form.

Little though I like Ada, this would about the best single thing that
could happen to increase Ada usage in education and thus the number of
graduates familiar with the language.

I suspect that the worst thing about it from the viewpoint of the true
believers is that it implies that along with your Ada system you get
very comparable C++, Objective-C, Modula-3 and maybe an Eiffel-like
language (Sather).  People would really be able to compare a suite of
languages with a similar and pretty good implementation base.  It
seems unlikely that those who prefer that languages be selected by
government mandate would welcome this sort of comparison...
--

                                            dan

In real life: Dan Pierson, Encore Computer Corporation, Research
UUCP: {talcott,linus,necis,decvax}!encore!pierson
Internet: pierson@encore.com

jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) (03/28/91)

>My fantasy, inspired by a well-placed Ada-head who shall remain unnamed, is
>an Ada front end for the GNU compilers. This would open up about a zillion
>targets (basically anything that has a GNU C compiler).

Actually, that's a pretty clever idea. I'm not too jazzed about the
debugging issues (ever try to debug C++ that has been "mangled" [Stroustrup's
term, not mine!] into C? Not pretty), but other than that it could
work pretty well. This is, in fact, one of the reasons Stroustrup insisted
on C compatibility when he devised C++: he wanted to piggyback off all
the C compilers in the universe to get free backends on most targets.
Sure beats writing a compiler from scratch.
--
***** DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are my own, except in
      the realm of software engineering, in which case I've borrowed

jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) (03/28/91)

%I suspect that the worst thing about it from the viewpoint of the true
%believers is that it implies that along with your Ada system you get
%very comparable C++, Objective-C, Modula-3 and maybe an Eiffel-like
%language (Sather).  People would really be able to compare a suite of
%languages with a similar and pretty good implementation base.  It
%seems unlikely that those who prefer that languages be selected by
%government mandate would welcome this sort of comparison...

Hey, no problem with me: I think Ada stands on its own merits alongside
the other languages you list. (By the way, the FAA, NASA, and a number
of commercial companies seem to agree.)
--

jcallen@Encore.COM (Jerry Callen) (03/29/91)

In article <jls.670100311@rutabaga> jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:
> [regarding my fantasy of a GNU Ada front end]
>Actually, that's a pretty clever idea. I'm not too jazzed about the
>debugging issues (ever try to debug C++ that has been "mangled" [Stroustrup's
>term, not mine!] into C? Not pretty), but other than that it could
>work pretty well.

Arg, no, you misunderstood. I do NOT want an Ada-to-C translator, I want
a real live "front end" (first pass). The GNU C++ compiler is NOT a
preprocessor.

Of course, the chance of my fantasy actually coming true is roughly
equal to the chance that any decent Ada 9X implementations will show up
before the year 2000. (ducks...)

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen@encore.com