[comp.lang.ada] Ada lex and yacc

dumphres@afit.af.mil (David A. Umphress) (03/29/91)

I'm teaching a compiler course and would like to get my hands on
a lex and yacc that produce Ada code (instead of the usual C).  Can
anyone provide me a pointer?

David Umphress
dumphres@blackbird.afit.af.mil
(513)255-3708

rreid@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ralph Reid III) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar28.193208.17988@afit.af.mil> dumphres@afit.af.mil (David A. Umphress) writes:
>I'm teaching a compiler course and would like to get my hands on
>a lex and yacc that produce Ada code (instead of the usual C).  Can
>anyone provide me a pointer?

ME TOO!

--
Ralph.  SAAC member.
ARS: N6BNO

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar31.155257.27463@ecst.csuchico.edu> rreid@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ralph Reid III) writes:
>In article <1991Mar28.193208.17988@afit.af.mil> dumphres@afit.af.mil (David A. Umphress) writes:
>>I'm teaching a compiler course and would like to get my hands on
>>a lex and yacc that produce Ada code (instead of the usual C).  Can
>>anyone provide me a pointer?
>

>ME TOO!
What you're looking for is Aflex and Ayacc, produced by the Arcturus project
at the University of California at Irvine. I'm not sure of the e-mail address
but try arcturus@ics.uci.edu or arcadia@ics.uci.edu.

Prof. Michael Feldman
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 U.S.A.

phone 202-994-5253
fax   202-994-5296
email mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu

karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar31.155257.27463@ecst.csuchico.edu> you write:
>In article <1991Mar28.193208.17988@afit.af.mil> dumphres@afit.af.mil (David A. Umphress) writes:
>>I'm teaching a compiler course and would like to get my hands on
>>a lex and yacc that produce Ada code (instead of the usual C).  Can
>>anyone provide me a pointer?

[I threatened to start an FAQ for Ada.  Maybe I will now...  Anybody else
game?]

(1) Try the Software Environments Project at the University of California
Irvine.  Ask for Ayacc, alex and aflex.  I've gotten these and they work
fine (I think there's a license fee of $75 or such).

	Environment Project
	Department of Information and Computer Science
	University of California
	Irvine, CA   92717
	arcadia-software@ics.uci.edu

(2) Yacca, et all from the Tampere University of Technology (host
kaarne.cc.tut.fi, anonymous FTP)

	ASENTO (Ada Software ENgineering TOols) consists of Ada Yacc
	(YACCA), which is an Ada implementation of the well-know Unix tool
	yacc (naturally, output language is Ada), and Adaface, an interface
	generator for Ada programs and packages.

(3) The STARS repository has a parser generator that was written by
Westinghouse as part of the Foundations Contracts.  I  think it's available
these day from the STARS/IBM Repository run by SAIC in Florida, but they
haven't returned my phone call or email yet...

-- Karl --

Karl A. Nyberg				karl@grebyn.com
Post Office Box 497			Grebyn Corporation
Vienna, VA 22183-0497 USA		+1-703-281-2194

mackey@scs.fiu.edu (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar28.193208.17988@afit.af.mil> dumphres@afit.af.mil (David A. Umphress) writes:
>I'm teaching a compiler course and would like to get my hands on
>a lex and yacc that produce Ada code (instead of the usual C).  Can
>anyone provide me a pointer?
>
>David Umphress
>dumphres@blackbird.afit.af.mil
>(513)255-3708

    ftp ics.uci.edu
    ftp> cd arcadia
    ftp> ls -la
    -rw-r--r--  1 root          160 Mar 25 04:14 Index
    -rw-r--r--  1 self       179528 Jan  8 10:35 aflex1pt1b.tar.Z
    -rw-r--r--  1 self        42570 Jan  8 10:35 alex-ayacc.utils.tar.Z
    -rw-r--r--  1 self       160036 Jan  8 10:36 ayacc.tar.Z

ayacc = Ada version of yacc.
alex = Ada version of lex.
aflex = Ada version of flex.

self@ics.uci.edu (John Self) (04/02/91)

In <3125@kluge.fiu.edu> mackey@scs.fiu.edu writes:

>In article <1991Mar28.193208.17988@afit.af.mil> dumphres@afit.af.mil (David A. Umphress) writes:
>>I'm teaching a compiler course and would like to get my hands on
>>a lex and yacc that produce Ada code (instead of the usual C).  Can
>>anyone provide me a pointer?
>>
>>David Umphress
>>dumphres@blackbird.afit.af.mil
>>(513)255-3708

>    ftp ics.uci.edu
>    ftp> cd arcadia
>    ftp> ls -la
>    -rw-r--r--  1 root          160 Mar 25 04:14 Index
>    -rw-r--r--  1 self       179528 Jan  8 10:35 aflex1pt1b.tar.Z
>    -rw-r--r--  1 self        42570 Jan  8 10:35 alex-ayacc.utils.tar.Z
>    -rw-r--r--  1 self       160036 Jan  8 10:36 ayacc.tar.Z

>ayacc = Ada version of yacc.
>alex = Ada version of lex.
>aflex = Ada version of flex.

These files aren't there any more.  Aflex and ayacc are available only
to those who have completed license agreements.  The files listed
above are updates for those who have licenses.  We hope to make aflex
and ayacc available without a license agreement in the near future,
but for now the only legal way to obtain aflex and ayacc is as part of
the Arcadia 1.0 software distribution.  You can obtain a license
agreement/tape order form by sending e-mail to
arcadia-software@ics.uci.edu, then sign and return the license
agreement with a tape distribution fee of $75.

As I mentioned above, aflex and ayacc may soon be available by FTP
without a license agreement, but details are still being worked out.
If you want them right now you need to complete a license agreement.
--

					Thanks,
						 John