[comp.lang.ada] Free ADA compiler

leisner.wbst139@XEROX.COM (12/23/90)

Is there a good, free ADA compiler floating around?

I've used gcc on suns and am very impressed.

There's good descriptions for most machines in gcc that run Unix.

I don't know what technical problems have to be solved to host an ADA compiler
onto a Unix host with FSF machine descriptions.  Is anyone working on these
issues?

Also certification is another issue.

marty
(I'm really in Henrietta, not Webster, but the Xerox mail system doesn't
believe in people moving)
ARPA:	leisner.wbst139@xerox.com
NS:  leisner:wbst139:xerox
UUCP:	hplabs!arisia!leisner

madmats@elcgl.epfl.ch (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan6.135259.1@capd.jhuapl.edu>, waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu writes:
>       A free compiler might be worth
> 	considering.

I can only say that I fully agree, especially if an aproach like
the one taken for gcc is followed.

Mats

leisner.wbst139@XEROX.COM (03/30/91)

Someone is working on a free ADA compiler to plug into gnu C.

The quality of the GNU stuff cannot be beat!!

I happen to agree with the GNU philosophy -- software should be as free as air.

Vendors don't serve a useful role in society -- they just take your money and
don't fix bugs.

Do people really like ADA or they use it because they have to?

ADA seems to have a lot in common with PL/1.  I program in C and have no
problems.

marty
(Knowledge is useful in the Information Age)
(Software is mindstuff.  It is the hardest activity created by man)

jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) (04/02/91)

>ADA seems to have a lot in common with PL/1.  I program in C and have no
>problems.

Quantify, please. What is the complexity measure of the programs you
work on? Specifically, provide the following:

a) SLOC
b) Number of developers
c) Number of configurations (targets, options, etc)
d) Number of subcontractors/sites
e) Number of threads of control
f) Number of estimated years for project
g) Estimated cost
h) Number of development environments/languages
i) Number of paradigms (e.g. real-time embedded, data base, GUI, etc)
j) Documentation/design standards required to adhere to (e.g. 2167A, etc)

Only when these sorts of things are taken into account does the statement
that you "have no problems" programming in C acquire enough semantic
content to be useful.

Until then, you could be hacking out 2k programs on a PC, in which case
C might actually be up to the job.

P.S. Does "no problems" include no problems with pointers walking off
     into hyperspace, functions returning the wrong type of result,
     functions getting called with the wrong type/number of arguments,
     inability to read the code two weeks later, or any of a number of
     other problems commonly encountered by C folks?
--
***** DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are my own, except in
      the realm of software engineering, in which case I've borrowed

arra@inmet.inmet.com (04/04/91)

>> Someone is working on a free ADA compiler to plug into gnu C.

Very interesting!
Who, where, when, how's it going, etc?

 arra@inmet.inmet.com
 Arra Avakian