[net.movies] Two questions on "Back to the Futur

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (09/02/85)

>  2) When Marty shows Doc the Flux Capacitor ...
>     If I'm not mistaken it says on the piece of paper :	FLUX COMPR...
>     and the rest I couldn't see.
----------
I saw it again today, and I noticed that it didn't seem to say
Flux Capacitor, but it went by too fast for me to see what it
did say.  Didn't they used to usually call capacitors condensers?

--
scott preece
gould/csd - urbana

zeke@dartvax.UUCP (Edward M. Zebrowski) (09/03/85)

In article <3200009@ccvaxa> preece@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:

>>  2) When Marty shows Doc the Flux Capacitor ...
>>     If I'm not mistaken it says on the piece of paper :	FLUX COMPR...
>>     and the rest I couldn't see.
>----------
>I saw it again today, and I noticed that it didn't seem to say
>Flux Capacitor, but it went by too fast for me to see what it
>did say.  Didn't they used to usually call capacitors condensers?
>
>--
>scott preece
>gould/csd - urbana

I saw it again and I could see  FLUX COMPRESS... on the paper this time.
Looks like somebody goofed.

Ed Zebrowski  (zeke@dartvax.UUCP)

allison@convexs.UUCP (09/04/85)

>  2) When Marty shows Doc the Flux Capacitor after he convinces Doc to come
>     with hime to where he hid the car, I noticed something on the piece
>     of paper Doc wrote in the bathroom.  If I'm not mistaken it says on the
>     piece of paper :
>
> 		FLUX COMPR...
>
>     and the rest I couldn't see.  I theorize that someone made a mistake
>     and thought that it was a Flux Compressor.  Did anyone notice this ?

It says "Flux Condenser", not "Flux Compressor" or "Flux Capacitor".
Condenser was the word used for capacitor in 1955 (and several years
later!).  This is more evidence of the uncanny attention to detail
these guys used when making this movie.  I'm still waiting to hear
whether that Honeymooner's episode REALLY aired on Nov. 5, 1955...

Brian Allison	{allegra, ihnp4, uiucdcs, ctvax}!convex!allison
Convex Computer Corp.
Richardson, TX

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (09/10/85)

> >	... I theorize that someone made a mistake
> >     and thought that it was a Flux Compressor.  Did anyone notice this ?
>
> It says "Flux Condenser", not "Flux Compressor" or "Flux Capacitor".
> Condenser was the word used for capacitor in 1955 ...

No, it doesn't.  I have seen the film three times and it said FLUX COMPRESSOR
three times.  Not condenser.  Compressor.  So did somebody make a mistake?
Not at all.  The Doc simply didn't think of the best name for the device
straightaway after he bonked his head and invented it.  If you must look
for bugs in the movie, you can find much worse ones than that.  But who
needs to?  It was STILL a great show.

Yes, of course condenser used to be the word for capacitor.  Nevertheless,
that's not what it says on the paper.

Mark Brader
"I'm a little worried about the bug-eater," she said.  "We're embedded
in bugs, have you noticed?"		-- Niven, "The Integral Trees"

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (09/17/85)

> I have an interesting question: Is November 5 .... an important day for
> time travel?  Both _Back_to_the_Future_ and _Time_After_Time_ (about
> H.G. Wells and Jack the Ripper) use that day as either a takeoff or
> arrival date....are there other movies that use this day...or is it
> just a coincidence?  /* Written 10:59 am  Sep 10, 1985 by
> martin@oliven.UUCP in ccvaxa:net.movies */
----------
Well, it's Guy Fawkes day, but I don't see what that would have to
do with time travel...

--
scott preece
ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece

gm@trsvax (09/20/85)

> I have an interesting question: Is November 5 .... an important day for time
> travel?  Both _Back_to_the_Future_ and _Time_After_Time_ (about H.G. Wells
> and Jack the Ripper) use that day as either a takeoff or arrival date....are
> there other movies that use this day...or is it just a coincidence?

% grep "Nov 5" /usr/local/lib/calendar.dat
Nov 5	Election Day
Nov 5	Guy Fawkes' Plot (1605)
Nov 5	Roy Rogers born (1912)

% echo "Nothing of importance on that date."
Nothing of importance on that date.

   "Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip..."
						George Moore (gm@trsvax.UUCP)