[comp.lang.ada] A ``New'' Ada compiler for the IBM PC

0004238973@MCIMAIL.COM (Frank Pappas) (04/09/91)

   I recently saw an ad for a ``new'' Ada compiler for the
PC from a company named GEMTECH.  The price of the compiler
is $149. DON'T RUSH OFF TO BUY IT. GEMTECH is a company
started by AETECH to sell a stripped-down version of its
IntegrAda compiler.
   Having written reviews of Ada PC compilers for three
magazines, I have seen each compiler at least twice, so I'm
pretty familiar with the quality of the PC Ada compilers
and whether or not they really let you write Ada programs
the way you want to. For example, unless IntegrAda has
changed a drastically in six months, it's tasking capability
is so limited, that it is useless.
   Anyone who wants a low-cost Ada compiler or who only has
an XT, is better off getting Meridian's Open Ada, even
though it is more expensive.  Anyone with deeper pockets
and with an AT or higher should get FirstAda, the top notch
compiler from Alsys.
   Meridian performed a real service a few months ago when
it offered Open Ada for $149. Since the GEMTECH offer is
based on IntegrAda, I doubt that the same can be said about
GEMTECH's offer.
   I hope these few words will save someone from getting
less than they bargained for.

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (04/11/91)

In article <71910409121517.0004238973NC3EM@mcimail.com> 0004238973@MCIMAIL.COM (Frank Pappas) writes:

>   I recently saw an ad for a ``new'' Ada compiler for the
>PC from a company named GEMTECH.  The price of the compiler
>is $149. DON'T RUSH OFF TO BUY IT. GEMTECH is a company
>started by AETECH to sell a stripped-down version of its
>IntegrAda compiler.
And IntegrAda is a wrapper around Janus Ada. I believe that Meridian's
examination of the IntegrAda development environment, which isn't too
bad, may have helped convince them that developing a similar shell
for OpenAda wasn't a terrible idea.

>and whether or not they really let you write Ada programs
>the way you want to. For example, unless IntegrAda has
>changed a drastically in six months, it's tasking capability
>is so limited, that it is useless.
Meaning that priorities are not supported (rather, that all tasks
have a single priority). No time-slicing either.

>   Meridian performed a real service a few months ago when
>it offered Open Ada for $149. Since the GEMTECH offer is
>based on IntegrAda, I doubt that the same can be said about
>GEMTECH's offer.

Far be it from me to dump on the Meridian compiler. On the other
hand, Janus Ada has had a considerable following for a good few
years. Frank, maybe you are dismissing it too cavalierly?
Are there other serious weaknesses besides the stripped-down
tasking model?

Rumor has it that Alsys is going to drop its FirstAda price to
bring it into Meridian's ballpark. Finally these guys are starting
to get into a genuine competition. It's long overdue!

Mike Feldman