[comp.lang.ada] Looking for exact location of AYACC, ALEX

schwartz@dinl.uucp (Michael Schwartz) (04/18/91)

I have heard that scanner generators and parser generators exist that generate
Ada code (I heard they were called AYACC and ALEX).

I would like to use these, but have not been able to locate the proper archive
that they are stored in.

Could someone please let me know the EXACT archive/directory/files these are
stored in?

Thanks you so much for any help you can provide

Michael

-----------------------
schwartz@pogo.den.mmc.com  "Expect everything ...
mschwartz@mmc.com                   and the unexpected never happens."
ncar!dinl!schwartz                               --the phantom tollbooth

DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressesed are not necessarily those of my
	     employer or myself.

--
-----------------------

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (04/19/91)

#
#I would like to use these, but have not been able to locate the proper archive
#that they are stored in.
#
#Could someone please let me know the EXACT archive/directory/files these are
#stored in?
#
#Thanks you so much for any help you can provide
#
#Michael

These are NOT archived anywhere except at UCI. An incorrect posting several
weeks ago suggested they were ftp-able, but this was corrected by a UCI guy
(John Self) a few messages later.

UCI requires a license agreement, and a $75. check. We ordered this last
year and waited MONTHS (yes, MONTHS) for the tape. John Self and the
other technical guys I spoke to were very helpful, but UCI apparently
has the kind of insufferably slow bureaucracy characteristic of universities
and government agencies.

Prof. Michael Feldman
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 U.S.A.

phone 202-994-5253
fax   202-994-5296
email mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu

self@ics.uci.edu (John Self) (04/19/91)

In <3079@sparko.gwu.edu> mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:

>In article <1850@dinl.mmc.UUCP> mschwartz@mmc.com (Michael I Schwartz) writes:
>#I have heard that scanner generators and parser generators exist that generate
>#Ada code (I heard they were called AYACC and ALEX).
>#
>#I would like to use these, but have not been able to locate the proper archive
>#that they are stored in.
>#
>#Could someone please let me know the EXACT archive/directory/files these are
>#stored in?
>#
>#Thanks you so much for any help you can provide
>#
>#Michael

>These are NOT archived anywhere except at UCI. An incorrect posting several
>weeks ago suggested they were ftp-able, but this was corrected by a UCI guy
>(John Self) a few messages later.

>UCI requires a license agreement, and a $75. check. We ordered this last
>year and waited MONTHS (yes, MONTHS) for the tape. John Self and the
>other technical guys I spoke to were very helpful, but UCI apparently
>has the kind of insufferably slow bureaucracy characteristic of universities
>and government agencies.

After all the complaints from people about our distribution method
we've finally confronted bureaucracy and WON!  We will be distributing
aflex and ayacc via FTP, without a signed license agreement, but with
the requirement that you get it directly from us and send us a message
saying you have retrieved it.  This should all be set up in the next
week or two.  I just received official UC clearance to make it available
today, and now I have to get the FTP set up and put copyright notices
in all the files.  I will post a message here (in comp.lang.ada)
giving details of how to retrieve the sources when I have everything
set up.

					Thanks,
						John Self
						self@ics.uci.edu