[net.movies] Keaton, Sennet,etc.

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (09/17/85)

In article <837@udenva.UUCP> showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) writes:

>    I find Buster Keaton to be far from humorous.  As for a comic persona, hav-
>ing the exact same expression on one's face for an entire film career is over-
>doing it just a bit.  Houses falling over, massive destruction, and hanging
>from the sides of tall buildings just aren't that funny.  Mack Sennet, too,
>used violence more than humor in his films.  You may find pie-fights and banana
>skins hilarious but to me it seem juvenile and annoying.

I can hardly argue that Mack Sennett isn't juvenile, since he is.  Sennett is
not to everyone's taste, and a little of his work goes a long way.  Buster
Keaton, however, is hilarious, in my opinion.  To say that he only has one
expression is to miss the point.  Keaton's genius lay in his persistence, his
ability to carry on in the face of any disaster without complaint or even the
slightest show of exasperation.  If his expression changed even once, it would
ruin the joke.  Just how much Keaton have you seen?

I should also point out that, Sennett aside, most silent comedians were not
especially violent or deeply into slapstick humor.  Slapstick was one of
many tools they used.  Keaton probably never slipped on a banana peel or
threw a pie in any of his films.  Violence is not a major component of
Keaton's films.  There's a hurricane in "Steamboat Bill Jr.", and a house front
does fall over in that movie (right on top of Keaton, who fortunately happens
to be standing at a point where a window falls), but Keaton doesn't use the
pull-the-nose, kick-the-ass type of comedy perfected by the Three Stooges.
The standard Keaton bit is to set him to an impossible task and then watch
him persevere in the face of incredible odds.  Chaplin used a bit more
slapstick, but he was incredibly inventive about it.  You won't find your
standard custard pie fight in any of Chaplin's own films.   Have you actually
seen Harold Lloyd's "Safety Last"?

I suppose if one's taste is exclusively to Oscar Wilde, Noel Coward, and
Woody Allen, biting verbal wit, then one might not enjoy classic silent comedy.
Otherwise, I do not understand how anyone could fail to appreciate it,
and you are the first person I have ever heard say that he has actually
seen it and didn't like it.  I won't argue preferences (Chaplin vs. Keaton),
nor a dislike of an individual performer, but, taken as a whole, the great
silent comedies of the 1920s are, in my opinion, the funniest films ever
made.  The true test, of course, is listening to an audience.  Whenever I
see a great silent comedy in a theater, the laughter is almost deafening.
Good thing they were silent, because you never would have heard anything
they said.
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

tomczak@harvard.ARPA (Bill Tomczak) (09/21/85)

In article <6860@ucla-cs.ARPA> reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>... Keaton probably never slipped on a banana peel or
>threw a pie in any of his films.

Although I TOTALLY agree with everything you said in this article,
I had to correct this one error.  There is a pie throwing scene in
at least one Keaton film.  It's one of the earlier ones with Fatty
Arbuckle.  In fact, looking in my "Buster Keaton Autobiography" I
believe it was his very first film ever - "The Butcher Boy"/1917.
Actually, now that I think of it, I think they were throwing flour
bags at each other - oh well, same idea.

Incidentally, the Orson Welles Cinema here in Cambridge had a Keaton
festival last year.  I'd never seen any Keaton before and I was hooked
as soon as I saw the first one.  I went to absolutely every film in
the fest (3/night changed every 2-3 days for about two months!  I was
half blind but ecstatic with laughter!)

Bill Tomczak@harvard.{ARPA, UUCP}

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (09/21/85)

 >Buster  Keaton, however, is hilarious, in my
 >opinion.  To say that he only has one  expression is to miss
 >the point.  Keaton's genius lay in his persistence, his
 >ability to carry on in the face of any disaster without
 >complaint or even the  slightest show of exasperation.  If
 >his expression changed even once, it would ruin the joke.
 >Just how much Keaton have you seen?

I'll second that opinion.  But I have to say that what I like about
Keaton comedies are so many of the jokes that revolve around clever
ways to solve physical problems or unusual ways to see common objects.
The sort of thing is Keaton has to cook a meal, though he has no
experience in a kitchen.  He uses all the kitchen implements in wrong
ways, but in doing so finds some very clever uses for the appliances
nobody else ever thought of.  I am sort of a mathematician and in math
the unconventinonal use of standard tools can be extremely useful.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper