[comp.lang.ada] Ada compilers for Education Use

brett@tle.enet.dec.com (Bevin Brett) (05/09/91)

We see a lot of uninformed comment [and some informed comment] in comp.lang.ada
about the need for "a free Ada compiler for universities".

What most of these authors don't realise is that some compiler vendors such as
DIGITAL [for whom I work] have VERY substantial discounts on their Ada
compilers when sold for educational use.

So you should call your local sales rep for the company that you wish to buy
from and find out whether he is going to charge you $200 or $2000 or $20000
for that Ada compiler you want to buy AFTER YOU HAVE TOLD H[IM|ER] that you
are an educational site.

rharwood@east.pima.edu (05/09/91)

In article <22551@shlump.lkg.dec.com>, brett@tle.enet.dec.com (Bevin Brett)
writes:

> What most of these authors don't realise is that some compiler vendors such as
> DIGITAL [for whom I work] have VERY substantial discounts on their Ada
> compilers when sold for educational use.

Pima Community College has licensed the VAX Ada compiler (I believe for ALL of
it's student-access VAXes), yet I am the ONLY instructor offering an Ada
course.  It might be different out "there" in the main-stream of DoD-land, but
I wonder if the statement "Oh sure I'd USE Ada if only we could get a cheap
compiler" really translates to "Hmmm, I've GOT to find an excuse somewhere for
not using a language that naturally induces good program structure."

Yes, free/cheap C compilers have contributed to its success, but as Bevin
points out, there ARE options out there if you look hard enough.

Gee... I'd drive a BMW if they were free/cheap.  Most people that want to show
"class" are willing to pay for it! <tongue firmly in cheek!>
-----
Ray Harwood           |Data Basix           |Associate Faculty,
Voice: (602)721-1988  |PO Box 18324         |   Pima Community College
FAX:   (602)721-7240  |Tucson, AZ 85731     |Instructor in Ada and Pascal
CompuServe: 76645,1370|AppleLink: DATA.BASIX|Internet: rharwood@east.pima.edu

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (05/10/91)

rharwood@east.pima.edu writes:
> Pima Community College has licensed the VAX Ada compiler (I believe for ALL of
> it's student-access VAXes), yet I am the ONLY instructor offering an Ada
> course.  It might be different out "there" in the main-stream of DoD-land, but
> I wonder if the statement "Oh sure I'd USE Ada if only we could get a cheap
> compiler" really translates to "Hmmm, I've GOT to find an excuse somewhere for
> not using a language that naturally induces good program structure."

There are at least two considerations here:
	- The statement of need for a very cheap (preferably "free", since
	  the concept of "cheap" seems to cover almost two orders of magni-
	  tude:-) Ada compiler for university use should be taken as a
	  necessary, but NOT necessarily sufficient condition to promote
	  the teaching and use of Ada.  It's not the only obstacle.
	- TTT: Things Take Time.  Even if you've got the compiler and
	  support, you don't just gesture and say "Domini, domini, domini...
	  we all use Ada now."  The folks who are comparing with the way C
	  and UNIX gained a toehold ought to look at how long that took.
	  I remember my role in helping wean a large university's engin-
	  eering school away from FORTRAN as the only language they ever
	  taught or used.  It took several years--not to convert them
	  entirely to another language, but just to break FORTRAN's
	  stranglehold.

Another matter to consider: the C-UNIX synergy was important in giving it a
toehold in universities.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.

g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) (05/10/91)

In article <22551@shlump.lkg.dec.com>, brett@tle.enet.dec.com (Bevin Brett) writes:
> We see a lot of uninformed comment [and some informed comment] in comp.lang.ada
> about the need for "a free Ada compiler for universities".
>
> What most of these authors don't realise is that some compiler vendors such as
> DIGITAL [for whom I work] have VERY substantial discounts on their Ada
> compilers when sold for educational use.
>
> So you should call your local sales rep for the company that you wish to buy
> from and find out whether he is going to charge you $200 or $2000 or $20000
> for that Ada compiler you want to buy AFTER YOU HAVE TOLD H[IM|ER] that you
> are an educational site.

I ditto this remark.  I've worked with Ada since 1985 and with VAX Ada since
1987.  The price is wonderful for educational institutions.  With an
educational discount and the price of media and docs, we have trained many
successful Ada programmers and software engineers.

VAX Ada's ACS (Ada Compilation System) is ideally designed for group projects
supporting quality configuration management.

Digital's commitment to educational institutions may be equaled by some
companies, but it certainly is not surpassed.

YES... I'd like to see a free Ada compiler for higher education, but Ada
demands quality.  I'm not convinced that the government can produce the same
quality of compiler as is produced in the commercial world; the motivation is
totally different.  I want MY students to learn how to be software engineers
with the best tools available.

George...

-- George C. Harrison                              -----------------------
----- Professor of Computer Science                -----------------------