[comp.lang.ada] Some Ada Books.......

g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) (05/11/91)

In article <3183@sparko.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
> For informational purposes: several new CS1 and CS2-level books are in the
> works for the upcoming academic year. One of them is a book I am just
> completing, based on and inspired by the Elliot Koffman series. Elliot
> and I believe we are doing justice to both Ada and CS1. The book will
> be out in September; my mention of it here is not an ad, just another
> data point for those contemplating a move to Ada in their curricula.
> Of the current CS1 books, I prefer Skansholm to Volper/Katz.

My problem (and my student's problem) with the books you mention that I have in
my library (I don't have your D.S. text.) except for Cohen's text is that one
wonders WHAT an Ada program really looks like.  Too many texts parallel the LRM
or are so weak that they are either too difficult or too elementary even for a
CS1 course.

I supplement our own Ada Programming course with about 50 of my own
programs/packages/etc. and do not provide my students with a general IO package
to hide text_io.  This course parallels our CS2 course for about 2/3 of the
semester - then we take off into generics and tasking.

Most texts stress the mechanics of Ada or leave out a lot of the mechanics
in favor of the "gee wiz" of Ada.  I need a text that has both.

-- George C. Harrison                              -----------------------
----- Professor of Computer Science                -----------------------
----- Norfolk State University                     -----------------------
----- 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk, Virginia 23504 -----------------------
----- INTERNET:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu ---------------------------------

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (05/12/91)

In article <964.282ba00a@vger.nsu.edu> g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) writes:
>In article <3183@sparko.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:

>> Of the current CS1 books, I prefer Skansholm to Volper/Katz.
>
>My problem (and my student's problem) with the books you mention that I have in
>my library (I don't have your D.S. text.) except for Cohen's text is that one
>wonders WHAT an Ada program really looks like.  Too many texts parallel the LRM
>or are so weak that they are either too difficult or too elementary even for a
>CS1 course.

You didn't mention which books you're referring to, so I'll just give some
general comments for the net.

The Skansholm and Volper/Katz books are both targeted to CS1, and while I
prefer the former to the latter, both books are very conscious of pedagogy
and presentation order, do _not_ follow the LRM, and concentrate - in the
early chapters, at least, on CS1 topics. These authors all, in my opinion,
know how to teach to novices. Volper and Katz are both first-year teachers
in the Cal State system; Skansholm is a Swede.

>I supplement our own Ada Programming course with about 50 of my own
>programs/packages/etc. and do not provide my students with a general IO package
>to hide text_io.  This course parallels our CS2 course for about 2/3 of the
>semester - then we take off into generics and tasking.

That sounds about right. Whether to use an IO package that "hides" Text_IO
or bring it out in the open is surely a "religious issue"; in the end, the
students will have to learn Text_IO, so I don't think it's a big deal.

One of your problems is that your students already know some programming, so
a straight CS1 book may be too patronizing to them.

>Most texts stress the mechanics of Ada or leave out a lot of the mechanics
>in favor of the "gee wiz" of Ada.  I need a text that has both.

Well, actually I think you need one that concentrates on the techniques of
algorithm development and good design, independent of the programming
language, then plugs in the right stuff from Ada wherever that makes sense.
(The success of the Koffman books over the years makes me pretty sure that
he's been doing something right; I hope that my overhaul of his material
for Ada will continue the trend - end of plug).

I find myself wondering why the course is "Ada programming" and not a
straight CS topic that happens to use Ada as its language. Isn't that
where we should be heading?

Mike

g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) (05/13/91)

In article <3191@sparko.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
> In article <964.282ba00a@vger.nsu.edu> g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu (George C. Harrison, Norfolk State University) writes:
>>In article <3183@sparko.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
>
>>My problem (and my student's problem) with the books you mention that I have in
>>my library (I don't have your D.S. text.) except for Cohen's text is that one
>>wonders WHAT an Ada program really looks like.  Too many texts parallel the LRM
>>or are so weak that they are either too difficult or too elementary even for a
>>CS1 course.
>
> You didn't mention which books you're referring to, so I'll just give some
> general comments for the net.
>
> The Skansholm and Volper/Katz books are both targeted to CS1, and while I
> prefer the former to the latter, both books are very conscious of pedagogy
> and presentation order, do _not_ follow the LRM, and concentrate - in the
> early chapters, at least, on CS1 topics. These authors all, in my opinion,
> know how to teach to novices. Volper and Katz are both first-year teachers
> in the Cal State system; Skansholm is a Swede.

I do have these books.  I feel that Skansholm (IMHO) was good but lost a great
deal in translation.  I still feel that a solid CS1 text should contain more
than basic CS1 topics, still reflect and be permiated with the principles that
make Ada an excellent language tool.

> One of your problems is that your students already know some programming, so
> a straight CS1 book may be too patronizing to them.
>>
>>Most texts stress the mechanics of Ada or leave out a lot of the mechanics
>>in favor of the "gee wiz" of Ada.  I need a text that has both.
>
> Well, actually I think you need one that concentrates on the techniques of
> algorithm development and good design, independent of the programming
> language, then plugs in the right stuff from Ada wherever that makes sense.
> (The success of the Koffman books over the years makes me pretty sure that
> he's been doing something right; I hope that my overhaul of his material
> for Ada will continue the trend - end of plug).
>
> I find myself wondering why the course is "Ada programming" and not a
> straight CS topic that happens to use Ada as its language. Isn't that
> where we should be heading?

I agree.  The courses started in 1986 as just a syntax course with some
software engineering.  It has evolved into a course that stresses Ada's primary
principles and reusability, real-time systems, etc.  The course is ungoing a
complete review for next year.

> Mike

George
George C. Harrison, Professor of Computer Science
Norfolk State University, 2401 Corprew Avenue, Norfolk VA 23504
Internet:  g_harrison@vger.nsu.edu    Phone:  804-683-8654