[comp.lang.ada] Looking for Ada Bindings

shebert@jaguar.ess.harris.com (Steve Hebert) (05/17/91)

I am looking for information on bindings between Ada and the following
products.
 X, Motif,   and Open-Look

Preferable for  DEC  equipment,  but information for other platforms is
also welcome.

Steve Hebert

stluka@software.org (Fred Stluka) (05/21/91)

In article <6291@trantor.harris-atd.com> shebert@jaguar.ess.harris.com (Steve Hebert) writes:
> I am looking for information on bindings between Ada and the following
> products.
>  X, Motif,   and Open-Look
>
> Preferable for  DEC  equipment,  but information for other platforms is
> also welcome.

VAX Ada comes with bindings to Xlib.

--Fred
--

Fred Stluka                              Internet: stluka@software.org
Software Productivity Consortium         UUNET:    ...!uunet!software!stluka

bachww@motcid.UUCP (Bud Bach) (05/24/91)

stluka@software.org (Fred Stluka) writes:

>In article <6291@trantor.harris-atd.com> shebert@jaguar.ess.harris.com (Steve Hebert) writes:
>> I am looking for information on bindings between Ada and the following
>> products.
>>  X, Motif,   and Open-Look
>>
>> Preferable for  DEC  equipment,  but information for other platforms is
>> also welcome.

>VAX Ada comes with bindings to Xlib.

>--Fred

Hi Steve, This is true however many people have complained
about the DEC Ada X bindings because they are (were?) system dependent
and did not use good abstractions in the interface.

While working for SPS in Indialantic, FL, I did a partial port of the
SAIC X/Ada bindings to VAX Ada.  With this binding, we were able to
port a large (120K wc LOC) inteactive information processing system
from a Sun 3/60 with the MIT Xlib and Verdix to a VAXStation II with
DECWindows and VAX Ada with zero changes.  I was impressed.

Mark Nelson at SAIC received these updates but I don't think they made
it into the distribution.  You may want to follow up with SPS
(info@sps.com) or with Mark (uunet!seismo!esosun!mark).

-- Bud

--
Bud Bach - Consultant				c/o Motorola
708 632-6611					Cellular Infrastructure Group

jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) (05/24/91)

Rational wrote a version of Xlib that is done 99% in Ada (the remaining
1% is just a few hundred statements in assembly). Rational has donated
this to MIT as a freely-distributable (but not public domain) artifact.
It can be obtained via ftp from MIT if you have Internet access [you
should check what the rules mean for "freely-distributable"]. It's a nice
clean implementation, and could be ported to a variety of platforms at
very minimal cost (you can even use machine code insertions to write
the few hundred non-Ada lines if your Ada compilers supports this).
--
**************** JIM SHOWALTER, jls@netcom.com, (408) 243-0630 ****************
*Proven solutions to software problems. Consulting and training on all aspects*

dennis@tfsg.UUCP (Dennis Gibbs) (05/30/91)

In article <6291@trantor.harris-atd.com> shebert@jaguar.ess.harris.com (Steve Hebert) writes:
> I am looking for information on bindings between Ada and the following
> products.
>  X, Motif,   and Open-Look
>
> Preferable for  DEC  equipment,  but information for other platforms is
> also welcome.

You can get an Ada binding to XView, the OPENLOOK toolkit, for the Sun-4,
from Verdix.  I don't know if it runs on DEC, but check with them to be
sure.  As far as I know they are the only ones with an Ada binding to the
XView toolkit (If I'm wrong, someone please correct me!)

Dennis Gibbs
--
Dennis Gibbs, TRW Systems Integration Group, Chantilly, VA