[comp.lang.ada] Ada mandates for European Community, NATO, NASA

rharwood@east.pima.edu (06/03/91)

A recent advertisement for an Ada compiler stated:

    "Ada's the law for all Department of Defense, NASA, and NATO
    related programming.  Overseas, Ada's the law for all European
    Community programming."

I am aware of Public Law requiring DOD work in Ada.  Is anyone aware of
approved legislation/regulation REQUIRING Ada in the other named environments?

I'm not disputing their claims... in fact, I'm writing an article attempting to
claim that every software developer ought to be familiar with Ada, because of
its increasing commercial and international use.  Any specific information
beyond the June 1, 1991 DoD mandate and the Air Force policy letter would be
appreciated, ESPECIALLY from our European Ada users!

Thanks in advance!
Ray
-----
Ray Harwood           |Data Basix           |Associate Faculty,
Voice: (602)721-1988  |PO Box 18324         |   Pima Community College
FAX:   (602)721-7240  |Tucson, AZ 85731 USA |Instructor in Ada and Pascal
CompuServe: 76645,1370|AppleLink: DATA.BASIX|Internet: rharwood@east.pima.edu

chuck@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.213842.1@east.pima.edu>, rharwood@east.pima.edu writes:
> A recent advertisement for an Ada compiler stated:
>
>     "Ada's the law for all Department of Defense, NASA, and NATO
>     related programming.  Overseas, Ada's the law for all European
>     Community programming."
>
> I am aware of Public Law requiring DOD work in Ada.  Is anyone aware of
> approved legislation/regulation REQUIRING Ada in the other named environments?

Ada is certainly mandated for new system development in the Air Force (but
only for certain classes of software.) The Army and Navy have slightly
less restrictive guideline on the use of Ada vs. other programming languages.

NASA has ONLY mandated Ada for Space Station-related development, and nearly
every contractor has been successful in obtaining waivers to use non-Ada
languages. (Certainly, they aren't about to touch the millions of lines of
HAL/S code on the shuttle.)

NATO has adopted policies similar to the USAF. However, the only "laws" to
this effect are the laws that cover compliance with gov't. contracts. Congress
certainly hasn't passed legislation making it illegal to code in Fortran.

That ad sounds a little overzealous to me.

Chuck Shotton                 Internet:   cshotton@girch1.med.uth.tmc.edu
"Your silly quote here."      UUCP:       ...!buster!brain!chuck

martin%boot.decnet@edwards-tems.af.mil (06/07/91)

In article <0D010010.4baydf@brain.UUCP>, chuck@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) writes:

> .... [stuff deleted] .... Congress
> certainly hasn't passed legislation making it illegal to code in Fortran.

     In the Defense Authorization Act of 1991 it provides that:

     "Where cost effective, Ada shall be used for all Department of Defense
     software."

     (This is an approximate quote, I just saw this again today in a trade pub,
but I can't seem to locate it just now.)

Gary S. Martin                !  (805)277-4509  DSN 527-4509
6510th Test Wing/TSWS         !  Martin@Edwards-TEMS.af.mil
Edwards AFB, CA 93523-5000    !