[comp.lang.ada] reuse success stories with Ada

plantz@manta.NOSC.MIL (Glen W. Plantz) (06/06/91)

I have a requirement for a project to summarize "reuse success stories"
involving Ada. If any of you know of any source for this type of information,
I would appreciate it.  I already have access to the places such as SIMTEL20,
AJPO, and AdaNet.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Glen Plantz				Computer Sciences Corporation
					4045 Hancock Street
email - plantz@nosc.mil			San Diego, CA  92110
phone - (619)225-2538

rharwood@east.pima.edu (06/09/91)

In article <2031@manta.NOSC.MIL>, plantz@manta.NOSC.MIL (Glen W. Plantz) writes:

> I have a requirement for a project to summarize "reuse success stories"
> involving Ada. If any of you know of any source for this type of information,
> I would appreciate it.  I already have access to the places such as SIMTEL20,
> AJPO, and AdaNet.  Thanks in advance for the help.

The May/June 1991 issue of Ada Letters (ACM SIGAda)has an interesting list of
reusable software products, including component software and reuse information.
Some of the items are public-domain, some are commercially available (i.e., not
free!) In addition, the April 1991 issue of Software Engineering Notes (ACM
SIGSoft) has two good articles entitled "Toward a Design Apprentice: supporting
reuse and evolution in SW design" and "Model-based SW reuse terminology."

Another interesting article (I'd have to dig through my "archives") mentions
the possibility of a "new specialty" in the computer science field: that of
"computer archeologist."  More than a Librarian, more than a Configuration
Manager... someone that can find the answer to "Where is that code for the XYZ
interface widget controller we wrote 4-5 years ago?"
-----
Ray Harwood           |Data Basix           |Associate Faculty,
Voice: (602)721-1988  |PO Box 18324         |   Pima Community College
FAX:   (602)721-7240  |Tucson, AZ 85731     |Instructor in Ada and Pascal
CompuServe: 76645,1370|AppleLink: DATA.BASIX|Internet: rharwood@east.pima.edu