[comp.lang.ada] Patriot problem, more info available?

SAHARBAUGH@ROO.FIT.EDU (06/07/91)

In June 6th USA Today there is an Associated Press article titled
"Army knew of problems with Patriot".
The last paragraph says,"The Patriot computer screen did not
show an incoming Scud because the computer software could
not calculate quickly enough the missile's path.  This was
due to two factors not previously encountered simultaneously by
the Patriot systems in Saudi Arabia: continuous operation
of the computer for four days prior to the moment of
attack, and a faster-than-usual Scud missile."
--
Can anyone furnish more details? I do not read
Aviation Week, maybe they report it in more depth.

jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) (06/07/91)

>I am particularly interested in the connection
>between four days of operation and a software failure.
>Based on no more than the newspaper article I wonder
>if a dynamic memory got fragmented and slow with time.

That's certainly how it reads. I've been told by people
involved with the project that the system is programmed in a
mixture of assembly, FORTRAN, and JOVIAL--but from the way it
failed it sounds more like LISP!

>there may be a
>lesson-learned here for real-time Ada software.

Indeed there is--avoid access types as much as possible.
--
**************** JIM SHOWALTER, jls@netcom.com, (408) 243-0630 ****************
*Proven solutions to software problems. Consulting and training on all aspects*

orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun7.080445.12661@netcom.COM> jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:
>>I am particularly interested in the connection
>>between four days of operation and a software failure.
>>Based on no more than the newspaper article I wonder
>>if a dynamic memory got fragmented and slow with time.
>
>That's certainly how it reads. I've been told by people
>involved with the project that the system is programmed in a
>mixture of assembly, FORTRAN, and JOVIAL--but from the way it
>failed it sounds more like LISP!

Hmmm ... reminds me of an article that I saw describing a program which
converts LISP into FORTRAN.  It could be a LISP interpreter implemented
in FORTRAN :-).

--------------------------------------           ******************************
Orville R. Weyrich, Jr., Ph.D.                   Certified Systems Professional
Internet: orville%weyrich@uunet.uu.net             Weyrich Computer Consulting
Voice:    (602) 391-0821                         POB 5782, Scottsdale, AZ 85261
Fax:      (602) 391-0023                              (Yes! I'm available)
--------------------------------------           ******************************

billk@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.080445.12661@netcom.COM> jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:
:
: That's certainly how it reads. I've been told by people
: involved with the project that the system is programmed in a
: mixture of assembly, FORTRAN, and JOVIAL--but from the way it
: failed it sounds more like LISP!
:
How old is the Patriot missile system?  If such a system were implemented
today, wouldn't it be required to be done in Ada?

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  billk@hawk.cs.ukans.edu

jls@netcom.COM (Jim Showalter) (06/08/91)

>How old is the Patriot missile system?  If such a system were implemented
>today, wouldn't it be required to be done in Ada?

The system was begun before the Ada language definition was complete
and before the Ada mandate was in place. If it were started today,
it would be done in Ada.
--

ken@sugra.uucp (Kenneth Ng) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun7.160927.1667@weyrich.UUCP>, orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich) writes:
: Hmmm ... reminds me of an article that I saw describing a program which
: converts LISP into FORTRAN.  It could be a LISP interpreter implemented
: in FORTRAN :-).

As a matter of fact I did once see a LISP interpreter implemented in FORTRAN
on a Perkin Elmer (now called Concurrent).  Once I saw that I was quite sure
that ANYTHING could be done in ANY language if you REALLY put your mind to it.

--
Kenneth Ng
Please reply to ken@hertz.njit.edu until this machine properly recieves mail.