[comp.lang.ada] Shareware ADA compilers, are there any out there?

byarow@rucs2.runet.edu (Brian Mark Yarow) (06/15/91)

     The subject line says it all!!  It will be for use on a Sun
fileserver.  I would appreciate it if anybody could e-mail me a ftp site or
provide any information.

--

                                         Brian Yarow
                                         byarow@rucs2.sunlab.cs.runet.edu

erwin@trwacs.UUCP (Harry Erwin) (06/15/91)

byarow@rucs2.runet.edu (Brian Mark Yarow) writes:

>     The subject line says it all!!  It will be for use on a Sun
>fileserver.  I would appreciate it if anybody could e-mail me a ftp site or
>provide any information.

It's unlikely that you'll find a certified shareware Ada compiler. DoD was
trying to discourage that sort of thing.
   Harry Erwin
   erwin@trwacs.fp.trw.com

--
Harry Erwin
Internet: erwin@trwacs.fp.trw.com

mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) (06/16/91)

In article <309@trwacs.UUCP> erwin@trwacs.UUCP (Harry Erwin) writes:

>It's unlikely that you'll find a certified shareware Ada compiler. DoD was
                                  ^^^^^^^^^
                                  I think you mean "validated."

>trying to discourage that sort of thing.

In ten years of working with Ada vendors and users, and knowing a number of
the DoD folks, I can say with confidence that I haven't a SHRED of evidence
that DoD "discouraged" anything except the proliferation of NON-VALIDATED
compilers. A shareware distributor who wanted to validate would, I'm sure,
be encouraged to do so. (Have you spoken to them recently?)

Mike

erwin@trwacs.UUCP (Harry Erwin) (06/16/91)

The correct term is validated, not certified. I stand corrected.
I don't know of any validated shareware Ada compilers, and I
would be surprised at their existence. One major concern of
DoD was standardization of Ada, hence the original attempt
to copyright the name. There may be people in DoD who would
encourage a shareware development, but they are not alone.
There are also people who would be very concerned about
export controls on Ada. I'll close with that and drop the
subject.

--

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (06/17/91)

In article <310@trwacs.UUCP| erwin@trwacs.UUCP (Harry Erwin) writes:
|The correct term is validated, not certified. I stand corrected.
|I don't know of any validated shareware Ada compilers, and I
|would be surprised at their existence. One major concern of
|DoD was standardization of Ada, hence the original attempt
|to copyright the name. There may be people in DoD who would
|encourage a shareware development, but they are not alone.
|There are also people who would be very concerned about
|export controls on Ada. I'll close with that and drop the
|subject.

|--
|Harry Erwin
|Internet: erwin@trwacs.fp.trw.com

Others have commented as to why there are no validated shareware Ada compilers.
Compiler validation is not an inexpensive process.  I have never heard,
however, of any desire on the part of DoD to prevent shareware or freeware
Ada compilers from existing.  Compiler validation and control over the
validation certification mark is how DoD maintains Ada standardization.
The registered trademark status of Ada as the name of a computer programming
language was allowed to lapse in 1987.  The name was never copyrighted.
Ada is a DoD, ANSI and ISO standard, and, as such the comment on export controls
on Ada is effectively meaningless.  It is a programming language in use in
many countries throughout the world.

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil